You are here

Behringer 2600

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Behringer 2600

Postby Monohead » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:07 am

Oh my
Monohead
Poster

Postby N i g e l » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:20 am

Martin Walker wrote:Wow, that video is indeed most impressive, both on audio quality and attention to detail 8-)

With the nods towards SMD circuitry reducing oscillator temperature variations, it may even end up being more stable tuning-wise than Korg's own re-issue.

We'll have to wait and see.

Martin

I think Korg would go the surface mount route, they did so on the previous (limited edition) MS20 kits.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Chevytraveller » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:30 am

Ah FFS!... So much for my New Year's Resolution.. :headbang:

:bouncy:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster
Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, FabFilter.
Hard: Mostly now all for sale.. but Akai MPC Live, Tasty Chips Gr-1, Roland Promars, AS Telemark,  Eurocrack disease

Postby OneWorld » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:49 am

Seeing as Behringer is working with Chinese companies, I wonder if Trump will impose sanctions on Behringer and stop us all buying one! :roll:
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby DGL. » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:02 pm

Some updates from the gearslutz thread vis-à-vis availability and some other things

iamproof wrote:Actually not quite. When Rob said the 'final production version' will be at Superbooth we mean that it will be shipping by then. That's the aim. The project is in final closing stages. Announcement/Demo video coming either this week or next...

iamproof wrote:Indeed, this was a prototype, we have the final design here now. The panel is darker and better print than was on that early protoype , we're getting a video done atm and will show it soon.

iamproof wrote:The reverb will be staying in, however you can still also patch inserts into the signal chain which takes the reverb blend completely out of the loop. Even if you were to put the reverb faders up you won't hear it because the Insert send point (3.5m jacks) comes before the onboard reverb blend and the insert return is after the blend in the signal path.

As was said before even if no inserts connected you can simply put the Reverb faders on zero and it will be fully removed from the analog path.

pricing
iamproof wrote:I'd like to, but Uli would kick my @#s lol, and I don't even know exactly, just roughly

But as you would expect, it will be affordable.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby IAA » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:49 pm

But as you would expect, it will be affordable.
I bet, and I’m sure and you could probably do this, the 100 and 55 modules for less than the Korg. There’d have to be hellava sonic differential to justify the Korg, don’t you think..?
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby N i g e l » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:57 pm

Korg MS20M + SQ1 £939

Behringer K2 < £300

not a fair 1:1 comparison but where did the extra £639 go ?
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:10 am

If the big boys don't get their act together they could become ex-big boys. A name can only carry you so far, and the buying public are getting steadily more price conscious.

That would not be a good thing for choice and diversity.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:22 pm

I could live without the reverb, or any effects for that matter. I'm just glad it isn't a damned spring reverb - another of those woeful old devices I never want to see again! So glad to see the speakers ditched too.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:35 pm

I wouldn't be so quick to question pricing between manufacturers. Any manufacturer can make gear cheaper, but that comes with its own cost - whether that be quality, quantity, reliability, longevity...

In this specific example Korg have delivered a seemingly very well-built piece of kit, in the faithful spirit of the original and with some premium features and additions. Nothing wrong with that. It's not for me, but I think it's probably a fair price for what is on offer.

Behringer are giving us a second option that will be more suitable for many of us - both in form and cost. Of course it cuts corners, but for many of us those corners lying on the floor aren't important.

This world can accommodate both.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Steve A » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:44 pm

I wonder if I'm the only person who thinks this would look a lot smarter (and possibly be easier to use) with proper black slider caps to fit over those garish LEDs, even though you can turn them down/off, and will probably seek some out if/when I get this?
Steve A
Regular

Postby Wonks » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:51 pm

At least you'll be able to see them on stage through even the thickest clouds of dry ice.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby The Elf » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:12 pm

Steve A wrote:I wonder if I'm the only person who thinks this would look a lot smarter (and possibly be easier to use) with proper black slider caps to fit over those garish LEDs, even though you can turn them down/off, and will probably seek some out if/when I get this?
I WANT those lighted and colour-coded faders!

Even if I never use it on stage (and I doubt I will), it still makes editing *much* easier in the studio. It's the one thing that makes me covet a Behringer Odyssey over the Korg FS. My KArp is tucked away into its keyboard stand under other synths and I have a devil of a time trying to find the right slider when I'm editing.

I can't imagine why you would feel that all black fader caps would make things easier, but I'm happy to listen!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Steve A » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:46 pm

Only because I think my sausage fingers will probably be able to grip them better!

I do think they look a little tacky but the video camera will be over emphasising the brightness of them. But I completely get the point about ease of use from a recognition perspective, especially on stage!
Steve A
Regular

Postby Folderol » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:45 pm

I'm deffo in favour of colour coding, where practical. I'm used to it from the electronics world anyway, but I wasn't quite so aware of the subliminal benefits until I got the Tecknet keyboard with the back-lit keycaps. The rows are lit with different colours, and since I got it all my typos have become one dimensional i.e. along the rows :shh:
I was so impressed I quickly bought another one. Oh, and they are also delightfully clacky :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

PreviousNext