You are here

Why popular music bounce at 32 bit float?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Why popular music bounce at 32 bit float?

Postby aviorrok » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:28 am

Hi,

I downloaded iZotope RX 8 and I checked 5-6 popular songs and all of them bounced at 32-bit float.

Why bounce at 32-bit float? All streams services support 24 bit (Spotify, Apple Music, Youtube)

They also recorded at 32-bit float?

Thanks!
aviorrok
Regular

Re: Why popular music bounce at 32 bit float?

Postby CS70 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:12 am

aviorrok wrote:Hi,

I downloaded iZotope RX 8 and I checked 5-6 popular songs and all of them bounced at 32-bit float.

Why bounce at 32-bit float? All streams services support 24 bit (Spotify, Apple Music, Youtube)

They also recorded at 32-bit float?

Thanks!

Not sure what you mean. The format you work with (and can print out of) IZotope is not necessarily the same format of the imported track. Most likely when you import a track, iZoptope resamples it using 32bit float encoding.. and unless you tell otherwise, may print it in that format.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:34 am

aviorrok wrote:I downloaded iZotope RX 8 and I checked 5-6 popular songs and all of them bounced at 32-bit float. Why bounce at 32-bit float?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by bounced...

If you mean you loaded tracks into RX and then bounced them out to store elsewhere, they probably bounced in 32-bit float because that's the default export setting.

But you can choose whatever format you want for an export...

If you mean you opened the files in RX and then examined them, like most DAWs and editing systems, files are converted to 32-bit float (or 64-bit float in some cases) when opened as that is a better format for internal processing.

Streaming services generally use lossy codecs (MP3, AAC,etc) so the file format has to be converted to some linear format when exported from Spotify. Again, that format will be whatever you set it up to be... But the source files will typically have been 16 or 24-bit integer format when uploaded, and then converted into the appropriate lossy format by the streaming platform.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Alexey Lukin » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:45 pm

What you see in RX does not necessarily match what has been bounced into Spotify or Apple Music, because lossy formats don't have a bit depth tag (the information you're looking for is being stripped from the file).
Alexey Lukin
Poster