More than just an interface, Zoom’s U-44 is expandable via a range of snap-on accessories.
The U-44 is designed with portability and versatility in mind. It’s a four-in/four-out interface with a range of analogue and digital connections, although unusually, only two analogue inputs are available straight out of the box. A range of snap-on accessories originally intended for Zoom’s H-series field recorders allow a number of additional options for the remaining two analogue inputs. These include X-Y and M-S stereo microphones, a shotgun microphone and a dual mic preamp. The U-44’s form factor shares similarities with a field recorder too; the interface is pitched towards project studios and live/mobile recording, paired with a laptop or iPad, but will perhaps win friends in the location sound industry too. In this review we’ll take a look at the U-44 and two of the optional input accessories. In addition, two smaller Zoom...
You've only read 10% of this article, so to continue reading...
Option 1: Login to read this article if you have a Digital Subscription or Industry Controlled Circulation account
- To read the full article online (in HTML browser format), please LOG IN at the top of this page.
- Note: Your Digital subscription does not include downloadable PDF articles free of charge.
Option 2: Buy a Digital sub from our shop
- A Digital sub can be bought from our Shop and used immediately, or contact our Subs staff to discuss an upgrade price to add Digital access to your existing Print subscription.
Option 3: Buy and download this SOS article in Adobe PDF format
- Buy this article now and immediately download the PDF file to your computer.
- PDF articles look identical to the printed magazine layouts (but exclude advertisements).
- Note: Some shorter articles don't always have a PDF version.