Enter today for a chance to win your very own stereo set of AKG C414 XLII microphones, worth £2399. [Competition open only to UK & Europe readers]
This year marks the 75th birthday of one of the biggest names in music technology. AKG are renowned throughout the studio world for their headphones and their microphones, and to celebrate this milestone, we’re shining a light on perhaps their most iconic mic.
The C414 has been in production for more than 50 years, and a lot of Internet mythology has grown up around the different variants. So we got together two of the most famous historic 414 models alongside the current XLS and XLII and headed to Half-Ton Studios in Cambridge to record the same song four times. To hear how all four models sound on drum overheads, bass, electric and acoustic guitars, male and female vocals, piano and percussion, head to the SOS YouTube channel and check out our video shoot-out.
And if you’d like to own a coveted stereo pair of AKG’s flagship mics yourself, read on...
With nine polar patterns, multiple pad and filter settings and a self-noise figure of just 6dBA, today’s 414s have class-leading specifications. They also offer a tempting sonic choice. Designed to have a perfectly neutral and uncoloured frequency response, the C414 XLS captures exactly what you put in front of it, adding nothing and taking nothing away. But if you prefer something with more character, the XLII model is tuned to recall the sparkling high end and rich lows of the classic C414 EB from the late ’70s.
For this month’s competition, AKG are kindly giving away a C414 XLII stereo set. This includes a matched pair of these premium studio mics along with custom shockmounts and a stereo bar, all housed in a super-sturdy flight case.
With nine polar patterns, multiple pad and filter settings and a self-noise figure of just 6dBA, today’s 414s have class-leading specifications.
How To Enter
To be in with a chance of winning this fantastic prize, and you are located in the UK or Europe, simply answer the questions on this page and submit your entry by Wednesday 1st March 2023. Good luck!
Prizes kindly donated by Harman International.
- Only UK & Europe readers can enter this competition.
- Only one entry per person is permitted.
- In entering this competition, you confirm that you are aged 18 years or older.
- By submitting your entry, you agree to supply Sound On Sound and the Prize Donor with a photograph of you and the prize(s) plus some words about winning the prize. This may be used on each company's website, email newsletter announcements and/or social media channels. Your name will be abbreviated to first name, last initial and your town/city/country, eg. Joey E, Essex.
- In submitting your entry, if you win, you agree NOT TO RESELL the Prize(s) within 2 Years.
- Please DO NOT ENTER if you do not agree to these terms.
- Employees of SOS Publications Group, Harman International and their immediate families are ineligible for entry.
- No cash alternative is available in lieu of the stated prize.
- The competition organisers reserve the right to change the specification of the prize offered.
- The judges' decision is final and legally binding, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- No other correspondence is to be included with competition entries.
- Please ensure that you give your DAYTIME telephone number on your entry form.
- Prize winners must be prepared to make themselves available in the event that the competition organisers wish to make a personal presentation.
- The winning entrants name and county/state will be made available upon request.