Win this fabulous OC818 Dual Set Plus from Austrian Audio, worth £1799$2199.
Austrian Audio are a relatively young company, but the people behind it have some serious form when it comes to making microphones. The brand was founded by a group of AKG engineers who, in their spare time, had set themselves the challenge of creating a microphone capsule that had all the magic of the venerable brass-ring CK12 — as found in AKG’s classic C12, the original C414, and Telefunken’s ELA M 251 — but that could be manufactured consistently and cost-effectively (a perennial problem with the original design).
The fruit of their labours was the CKR12. Handmade in Vienna, it’s this large-diaphragm, Braunmühl-Weber capsule that lies at the heart of their flagship OC818 multi-pattern microphone.
When SOS Editor In Chief Sam Inglis reviewed the OC818 last year, he was hugely impressed by its performance, describing it as “beautifully clean, with a supremely balanced sound”. But it wasn’t just the sound that set it apart: the OC818 has the unusual feature of a secondary mini-XLR output, tapped from its rear-facing diaphragm. By recording both diaphragm outputs separately, you can change the resulting polar pattern after the fact in your DAW, using AA’s PolarDesigner plug-in.
When SOS Editor In Chief Sam Inglis reviewed the OC818 last year, he was hugely impressed by its performance, describing it as “beautifully clean, with a supremely balanced sound”.
For this month’s competition, Austrian Audio are giving one lucky reader their newly announced Dual Set Plus, a stereo kit that comprises two of their premium OC818 mics plus a host of accessories, all shipped in a rugged aluminium case. A pair of windshields is provided, as are two standard mic clips plus two of AA’s own shockmounts, designed specifically for their OC series mics. You also receive a pair of mini-XLR adaptor cables, so you can easily take full advantage of that secondary output, as well as an adjustable stereo mounting bar.
To be in with a chance of winning this fantastic prizes, all you have to do is answer the questions on the right, dream up a tie‑breaker, and submit your entry by Friday 05 February 2021. Good luck!
Prizes kindly donated by Austrian Audio.
- Only one entry per person is permitted.
- In entering this competition, you confirm that you are aged 18 years or older.
- By submitting your entry, you agree to supply Sound On Sound and the Prize Donor with a photograph of you and the prize(s) plus some words about winning the prize. This may be used on each company's website, email newsletter announcements and/or social media channels. Your name will be abbreviated to first name last initial and your town/city/country, eg. Giovanni D of Florence, Italy.
- Please DO NOT ENTER if you do not agree to these terms.
- Employees of SOS Publications Group, Austrian Audio, and their immediate families are ineligible for entry.
- No cash alternative is available in lieu of the stated prize.
- The competition organisers reserve the right to change the specification of the prize offered.
- The judges' decision is final and legally binding, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- No other correspondence is to be included with competition entries.
- Please ensure that you give your DAYTIME telephone number on your entry form.
- Prize winners must be prepared to make themselves available in the event that the competition organisers wish to make a personal presentation.
- The winning entrants name and county/state will be made available upon request.