Your chance to win this top-quality, twin-channel, Camden EC2 microphone preamp plus CAST expanders, worth £1357$1467.
Though they’re a relatively young company, British brand Cranborne Audio have built up an impressive reputation for making excellent mic preamps. Their debut, the 500-series Camden module, was an instant hit thanks to its exemplary build and audio quality, thoughtful feature set, and proprietary Mojo saturation circuitry.
Cranborne’s newest offering is a twin-channel preamp based on the same design but in a standalone 1U rack. The Camden EC2 (reviewed in SOS September 2020; see https://sosm.ag/cranborne-ec2) has all of the features that made the original Camden 500 so popular but, unusually for a preamp, adds a headphone monitoring section. This comprises two headphone outputs, each of which can output a user-adjustable mix of the two preamp channels plus a stereo aux input, and is designed to take the hassle out of setting up zero-latency foldback. So if you were recording two singers at the same time, for example, each could be listening to their own independent foldback mix, with their own desired blend of themselves, the other singer, and a stereo DAW output. The stereo return can be sourced either from a pair of balanced jacks, or from another Cranborne innovation, the CAST input.
The Camden EC2 has all of the features that made the original Camden 500 so popular but, unusually for a preamp, adds a headphone monitoring section.
CAST, short for Cat5 Analogue Signal Transport, is Cranborne’s system for piping up to four balanced analogue signals down a single Ethernet cable, eliminating the need for bulky snakes. The Camden EC2 has two CAST connections round the back, which allow remote access to all of its I/O: the preamp and stereo aux inputs, plus the line and headphone outputs.
For this month’s competition, Cranborne Audio are kindly giving one lucky SOS reader a complete tracking setup comprising a Camden EC2 preamp worth £1099$1199, plus an N22 line-level passive breakout box (£99$99) and an N22H line and active headphone extension (£159$169). Using these three devices, you could keep your preamp permanently set up in a rack, while extending the preamp’s microphone inputs and headphone outputs, making it easy to set up an ad hoc vocal booth anywhere in your studio.
To be in with a chance of winning this fantastic Cranborne combo, all you have to do to enter is answer the questions on the right, dream up a tie-breaker, and submit your entry by Friday 06 November 2020. Bon chance!
Prizes kindly donated by Cranborne Audio.
- Only one entry per person is permitted.
- In entering this competition, you confirm that you are aged 18 years or older.
- By submitting your entry, you agree to supply Sound On Sound and the Prize Donor with a photograph of you and the prize(s) plus some words about winning the prize. This may be used on each company's website, email newsletter announcements and/or social media channels. Your name will be abbreviated to first name last initial and your town/city/country, eg. Tony B of New York, USA.
- Please DO NOT ENTER if you do not agree to these terms.
- Employees of SOS Publications Group, Cranborne Audio, and their immediate families are ineligible for entry.
- No cash alternative is available in lieu of the stated prize.
- The competition organisers reserve the right to change the specification of the prize offered.
- The judges' decision is final and legally binding, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- No other correspondence is to be included with competition entries.
- Please ensure that you give your DAYTIME telephone number on your entry form.
- Prize winners must be prepared to make themselves available in the event that the competition organisers wish to make a personal presentation.
- The winning entrants name and county/state will be made available upon request.