Enter today for a chance to win two premium microphones from JZ Microphones, worth €2500$2500.
Boutique Latvian mic makers JZ Microphones recently celebrated their 15th anniversary, and to mark the occasion they’re offering you the chance to win two of their acclaimed premium microphones, plus accessories, worth a total of €2500$2500!
Founded in late 2007 in the Latvian capital city of Riga, JZ make their microphones by hand, including the all‑important capsules. The company’s debut mic was the striking Black Hole, an innovative design in terms of both its looks and capsule construction. It owed its name to its unusual slotted design, into which JZ cleverly fitted a bespoke shockmount, while its capsule was the first to employ JZ’s patented ‘Golden Drop’ technology. In essence, this involves applying gold to the diaphragm in circular ‘drops’ at strategic points, rather than coating the surface completely. This process results in a lighter diaphragm, giving the advantage of improved transient and high‑frequency response.
Up for grabs this month are the BH2, an updated, cardioid version of the original Black Hole, and a V67, part of JZ’s highly regarded Vintage series. In the 15 years since JZ first made their mark with the Black Hole, the design has gained a number of high‑profile fans, including Grammy‑winning producer Rob Chiarelli and legendary engineer Sylvia Massy, who has described the Black Hole as “a work of art”!
The Vintage models, meanwhile, each pay homage to a classic microphone, while maintaining JZ’s distinctive looks and design ethos. So, although inspired by Neumann’s U67, the JZ V67 employs solid‑state electronics for cutting‑edge noise performance, and again makes use of a Golden Drop capsule. That mic also has its share of champions, including rock production titans Romesh Dodangoda and Josh Newell.
With both the modern BH2 and vintage‑inspired V67, you’ll be able to handle practically any recording scenario — and to help you get the most from these outstanding microphones, JZ are also supplying a premium wire‑mesh pop screen. The JZ Pop Filter incorporates a flexible gooseneck mount, and features special contouring on one side to allow maximum sonic transparency while still protecting against plosives.
Finally, JZ are also including a bespoke wooden box that can house both microphones plus the JZ Pop Filter.
With both the modern BH2 and vintage‑inspired V67, you’ll be able to handle practically any recording scenario.
How To Enter
To enter simply answer the questions by Friday 3rd February 2023. Good luck!
Prizes kindly donated by JZ Microphones.
- Only one entry per person is permitted.
- In entering this competition, you confirm that you are aged 18 years or older.
- By submitting your entry, you agree to supply Sound On Sound and the Prize Donor with a photograph of you and the prize(s) plus some words about winning the prize. This may be used on each company's website, email newsletter announcements and/or social media channels. Your name will be abbreviated to first name last initial and your town/city/country, eg. Geordie S, Newcastle.
- In submitting your entry, if you win, you agree NOT TO RESELL the Prize(s) within 2 Years.
- Please DO NOT ENTER if you do not agree to these terms.
- Employees of SOS Publications Group, JZ Microphones and their immediate families are ineligible for entry.
- No cash alternative is available in lieu of the stated prize.
- The competition organisers reserve the right to change the specification of the prize offered.
- The judges' decision is final and legally binding, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- No other correspondence is to be included with competition entries.
- Please ensure that you give your DAYTIME telephone number on your entry form.
- Prize winners must be prepared to make themselves available in the event that the competition organisers wish to make a personal presentation.
- The winning entrants name and county/state will be made available upon request.