Fancy winning one of these British-designed polysynths from Modal Electronics, worth £1247$1468. Enter today!
Bristol-based synth makers Modal Electronics have quite a repertoire, having created all sorts of instruments from dinky DIY kit boxes to powerhouse analogue polysynths. Their two newest series both harness the power of digital, but in very different ways.
The ARGON8X is the company’s flagship wavetable synthesizer, offering eight voices of polyphony in a 61‑note keyboard format. Extensive hands-on control is catered for by its generous supply of encoders, while its aftertouch‑sensitive keyboard and sprung joystick (which can control pitch bend and up to two additional modulation destinations) allow for expressive performances.
For sequencing and in-depth control Modal have you covered too: the free ModalApp software, which can run on Macs, PCs, and even iOS and Android tablets and phones, provides an intuitive yet powerful way to access all of the Argon’s parameters. It’s even available in VST and AU formats, so you can control and automate the Argon from your DAW just as you would a soft synth.
The COBALT8 family of virtual-analogue synthesizers, meanwhile, offer a huge selection of modelled oscillators (64, no less!), of which you can use up to eight in each of its eight voices. Morphing and cross-modulation is also available, while the 4‑pole resonant filter can be set to high-pass, low-pass, band-pass and band-reject modes. Like the ARGON8X, it has a plethora of encoders for hands-on control, but can also be governed by the ModalApp.
For our competition, Modal are generously giving away two prizes: one lucky reader will win the ARGON8X keyboard, and a second winner will receive Modal's newly-released COBALT8M desktop/rackmount module.
To be in with a chance of winning one of these fabulous synths, simply answer the questions on the right, add your tie-breaker and submit one entry by Friday 5th March 2021. Good luck!
Prizes kindly donated by Modal Electronics.
- Only one entry per person is permitted.
- In entering this competition, you confirm that you are aged 18 years or older.
- By submitting your entry, you agree to supply Sound On Sound and the Prize Donor with a photograph of you and the prize(s) plus some words about winning the prize. This may be used on each company's website, email newsletter announcements and/or social media channels. Your name will be abbreviated to first name last initial and your town/city/country, eg. Giovanni D of Florence, Italy.
- Please DO NOT ENTER if you do not agree to these terms.
- Employees of SOS Publications Group, Modal Electronics, and their immediate families are ineligible for entry.
- No cash alternative is available in lieu of the stated prize.
- The competition organisers reserve the right to change the specification of the prize offered.
- The judges' decision is final and legally binding, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- No other correspondence is to be included with competition entries.
- Please ensure that you give your DAYTIME telephone number on your entry form.
- Prize winners must be prepared to make themselves available in the event that the competition organisers wish to make a personal presentation.
- The winner(s)' name and county/state will be made available upon request.