Fantastic chance to win TK Audio BC1 Ltd
TK Audio, the Swedish studio hardware company founded by Thomas Kristiansson, is celebrating its 10th anniversary with the release of the BC1 Ltd. Though the BC1 Ltd was made as a limited run, which is now sold out, we are giving away the review model — the very first unit off the production line, numbered 1 of 100 — in this month’s competition.
The BC1 Ltd is an update to the company’s popular BC1 stereo VCA compressor which is, in turn, based on the SSL G‑Series bus compressor launched over three decades ago. The original piece was revered by studio engineers for its ability to add a ‘magic sonic glue’ that pulls a mix together, and while the BC1 Ltd can do this admirably, it also does a lot more. Described as a “thoughtful reworking of the SSL concept” by Bob Thomas in his August 2018 review (https://sosm.ag/aug18tkaudio), the BC1 Ltd adds a series of features and functions that makes this rackmountable 1U device an even more capable beast than the original.
One welcome addition is the Grab button, which switches in a harder knee across all compression ratios, adding an aggression that’s ideal for the stereo drum bus. The 6dB/oct high‑pass filter on the sidechain can also be set to three different frequencies (80Hz, 150Hz and 220Hz), allowing you to counteract the pumping that you might otherwise get when compressing drums.
Parallel processing is a breeze, too, with a handy Blend knob for mixing in the right amount of compressed signal. Additionally, you can mute the dry signal with the press of a button to hear what the compressor is doing without changing the Blend amount.
If you’re looking for another flavour, the BC1 Ltd’s THD function adds a fixed amount of second‑order harmonic distortion that, depending on the source, is capable of introducing “a pleasing sense of colour and character,” says SOS reviewer Bob Thomas.
Add to that the fact that the it’s able to handle input levels up to +26dB and output signals up to +27dB, and nobody should experience any problems in interfacing with other professional‑level audio equipment in their studio.
Though TK Audio aren’t the only company making a stereo bus compressor that pays homage to SSL’s famous design, Bob describes the BC1 Ltd as “one of the very best of the current crop.” High praise, indeed!
To be in with a chance of winning this excellent stereo compressor, submit your entry form here by the closing date of 7th October 2018. Good luck!
Prizes kindly donated by TK Audio.
ASAP Europe +44 (0)20 8672 6618
The small print
- Only one entry per person is permitted.
- In entering this competition, you confirm that you are aged 18 years or older.
- Employees of SOS Publications Group, TK Audio, ASAP Europe and their immediate families are ineligible for entry.
- No cash alternative is available in lieu of the stated prize.
- The competition organisers reserve the right to change the specification of the prize offered.
- The judges' decision is final and legally binding, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- No other correspondence is to be included with competition entries.
- Please ensure that you give your DAYTIME telephone number on your entry form.
- Prize winners must be prepared to make themselves available in the event that the competition organisers wish to make a personal presentation.