You are here

Absolute Newbie Question

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Absolute Newbie Question

Postby Hunt.Joseph » Tue May 06, 2008 12:39 pm

good afternoon everyone,

now this is a newbie question. If you have no patience with such things then I suggest you turn away now. If not, then I thank you.......

Right I've been confusing myself thinking things through so I'm going to try and make the question as clear as possible. Can I have more than one midi/usb controller operating at the same time? I've been writing on my pc for a few years using Cubase 4, Reason and various VSTs. As a result of this I have little or no understanding of hardware. I'm just trying to make sure that when I buy my control surface that it's got absolutley everything I need if it is the case that you can only use one controller at once. Or can I make my own 'super' drum mat controller by buying say two or three Akai MPD16's? I'm not saying I want a massive selection of drum mats, that's just the example that came to mind. But hopefully people see what I'm getting at.

If anyone can help I'd be extremely appreciative!
Hunt.Joseph

Re: Absolute Newbie Question

Postby desmond » Tue May 06, 2008 12:47 pm

Hunt.Joseph wrote:Can I have more than one midi/usb controller operating at the same time?

Yes.

Hunt.Joseph wrote:Or can I make my own 'super' drum mat controller by buying say two or three Akai MPD16's?

Sure. In general, they will work as three independent devices, not one large integrated device, unless they are designed to work together and the software you are using supports it, like a Mackie Control for example.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Hunt.Joseph » Tue May 06, 2008 1:06 pm

many thanks for your help. I'm off out to buy 32 controllers. Soon my home studio will have nearly as many knobs as the Emirates Stadium!
Hunt.Joseph

Postby Big_al » Tue May 06, 2008 9:59 pm

Hunt.Joseph wrote:Soon my home studio will have nearly as many knobs as the Emirates Stadium!

LOL!!
Big_al
Regular

Postby RegressiveRock » Tue May 06, 2008 10:16 pm

Big_al wrote:
Hunt.Joseph wrote:Soon my home studio will have nearly as many knobs as the Emirates Stadium!

LOL!!

I might have to use that one tomorrow... However, I need to construct a suit of gunner proof armour in a hurry. ;)
RegressiveRock
Frequent Poster
Smoking Goats
https://www.facebook.com/SmokingGoats