You are here

Which Studio Monitors Nightmare ????

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Which Studio Monitors Nightmare ????

Postby Matthew Seed » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:43 am

Hi guys I am in line for buying a new pair of studio monitors for a home studio setup. I have £2500. To spend. The problem is of course trying them out, I live no where near any shops that have this calibre of speakers in stock or if they do they have one model. The idea of going to one shop one weekend and another the next makes it too hard for me to judge. I’m trying to read as many reviews in SOS as I can to try and make a balanced view and shortlist.

So, any advice guys on best pair for that price point.

I’m interested in the new PMC Result6 monitors, I imagine with being PMC they are going to be a good set. I wonder Hugh, are these getting a review anytime soon ?

So Amy advice or also anything to avoid etc would all be welcome.

Thankyou.
Matthew
Matthew Seed
Regular

Re: Which Studio Monitors Nightmare ????

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:20 pm

Matthew Seed wrote:To spend. The problem is of course trying them out, I live no where near any shops that have this calibre of speakers in stock or if they do they have one model. The idea of going to one shop one weekend and another the next makes it too hard for me to judge.

Spending that amount of money makes it worth the effort of visiting a decent dealer. I'd recommend booking an appointment and making a trip to KMR in London... although there are other dealers around the country that might be as helpful.

I’m interested in the new PMC Result6 monitors, I imagine with being PMC they are going to be a good set. I wonder Hugh, are these getting a review anytime soon ?

I have a set here awaiting review at the moment...

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:37 pm

It's probably worth finishing your acoustic treatment projects first and then trying to get some of the speakers to listen to in your own studio.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Matthew Seed » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:00 pm

Thanks Hugh. The PMC Result 6 appeal to me and i dont even know why if im honest...i guess its that for 20 years or so ive always heard of the reputation and now for the first time....and indeed for me, just in time they bring out a pair i can afford. I'm looking to spend a good amount to get a pair of speakers that will last me a lifetime......or at least a very long time and i so want ti make the right choice. Any nuggets of info on the Result 6's you can leak yet Hugh ?

Thanks Wonks, ive spent the last year or so getting my studio ready for this, its been treated after a lot of research as best i can and I can really hear the difference as it is which is great. So, i'm ready for a set of speakers that will do the job now.

I will check out KMR Hugh, thanks for that.

What would anyone say is the best speakers in this price bracket ? I know there is a lot and a lot of it depends on variables....but just an overview top 5 from anyone who has heard them in person would be nice.
Matthew
Matthew Seed
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:32 pm

Matthew Seed wrote:Thanks Hugh. The PMC Result 6 appeal to me and i dont even know why if im honest...i guess its that for 20 years or so ive always heard of the reputation and now for the first time....and indeed for me, just in time they bring out a pair i can afford.

They are, in many ways, the modern replacement for the much-loved TB2s and bring many improvements including a front-venting ATL and real two-way active amplification (at last!), as well as new improved drivers and the benefit of a lot of experience and technology. And they look well-priced into the bargain....

I'm looking to spend a good amount to get a pair of speakers that will last me a lifetime......or at least a very long time and i so want ti make the right choice. Any nuggets of info on the Result 6's you can leak yet Hugh ?

To be honest, I've not had the chance to have a proper listen yet, but second hand reports from others I know who have heard tem are complimentary. However, the competition at this kind of price level is pretty fierce and there are many very good alternatives. Given your comments above I'd have to steer you to at least audition the Neumann KH310s. Yes, they push your budget a bit higher, but if his is a lifetime choice I think it can be justified... And an excellent three-way will always outperform an excellent two-way in my book! :-)

If you can book an afternoon at KMR's demo room you'll be able to listen to both of these monitors and several more besides -- just remember that you're looking for a speaker that reveals flaws, not one that flatters or sounds 'impressive'!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ReedySteadyGo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:03 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:... you're looking for a speaker that reveals flaws, not one that flatters or sounds 'impressive'!

H

What does that mean in practice? A particularly flat frequency response, without any warmth in the bass for example, or is it more than that?

Ian.
ReedySteadyGo
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:06 am

ReedySteadyGo wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:... you're looking for a speaker that reveals flaws, not one that flatters or sounds 'impressive'!

What does that mean in practice? A particularly flat frequency response, without any warmth in the bass for example, or is it more than that?

A flat frequency response is part of it but a good time domain response is also important - the speaker should stop making sound when told to. Distortion is also important - a little distortion can add euphonic colouration which might be good in a home speaker but isn't what you want in a monitor.

Take a look at some of Phil Ward's speaker reviews in the magazine as he often talks knowledgeably about some of the design decisions behind the speakers he's reviewing.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/kii-audio-three
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/geithain-rl944k
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ReedySteadyGo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:39 am

James Perrett wrote:
Take a look at some of Phil Ward's speaker reviews in the magazine as he often talks knowledgeably about some of the design decisions behind the speakers he's reviewing.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/kii-audio-three
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/geithain-rl944k

Interesting. It seems as though about 90% of the cost and effort of studio monitor design is about removing the effects of the room. Why not take that to its logical conclusion and, at least for the purpose of revealing flaws, remove the room entirely by using headphones?

(I suspect the pros and cons of headphones Vs speakers have been covered before on the forum).

Ian
ReedySteadyGo
Regular

Postby Zukan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:26 am

That's a decent budget Matt. Had you thrown £1500-1800 at us then I would have felt for you.

At this level, as mentioned, finish your acoustic treatment then take your time in auditioning speakers and make sure they are done in a treated room or, better still, in your own room.

The PMCs, IMO, are unforgiving, so best to nail the room first.
Zukan

Postby Wonks » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:03 pm

Unity Audio The Rock Mk2's are around £2.2k a pair and worth auditioning. Sealed cabs so they have a very accurate bass end as a result with no port smearing of the time domain. Supposedly the -3dB down point is at 33Hz, (was 50Hz on the Mk1) so pretty good for a sealed box! I know a couple of people with the Mk1 Rocks and they are very happy with them.

SOS has only reviewed the Mk1 version https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/unity-audio-rock but the Mk2 is just that bit better. Here's an Audio Media review. https://unityaudioproducts.co.uk/docs/r ... omedia.pdf

For real full range system you'd need their 'Boulder' sub, (as would almost any speaker system at this price point) but at around £2.6k, it would be best to see if you really needed a sub in your studio before spending a lot more money!
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:04 pm

For most of us a -3dB point of 33Hz would be considered pretty full range :)

Edit :- just read the spec and have to report that the -3dB point is at a disappointing 37Hz ;)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:31 pm

Yeah, rubbish!

I was going by the review test figures, so maybe the test location bolstered the low end a bit compared to the Unity Audio figures.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Matthew Seed » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:56 pm

Thanks for all the tips guys. I am not aware of the Unity Audio The Rock Mk2's so i will take a look now. What about the Genelec models in this price range, are they worth a look.

I have looked at the Neumann KH310s that Hugh recommend i look at and they seem on paper at leat to be top dollar speakers, They do push my budget another £400 or so, so that will need some thought and of course a listen.

The other monitors i keep seeing are the Mackie 824's, whats the thoughts on these ?

Thank you
Matthew
Matthew Seed
Regular

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:43 pm

Matthew Seed wrote:
I have looked at the Neumann KH310s that Hugh recommend i look at and they seem on paper at leat to be top dollar speakers, They do push my budget another £400 or so, so that will need some thought and of course a listen.

Hi there.

I have the KH310As. They are most excellent and I know of 7 composers with studios that have them also. They seem to be quite accurate.

Oh, and as mentioned, KMR provide an excellent environment in which compare monitors. I must also recommend Funky Junk (London) who are very accommodating in sorting out a good monitor tryout. Also worth going there just to look at the fab retro stuff they have in.

Cheers.
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby Wonks » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:58 pm

The Mackie 824s are at a lower price point per speaker and it shows. Average performance at best and are outshone by a lot of other monitors of a similar price.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Matthew Seed » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:50 pm

Thanks Wonks, thats good to know as thats where i am coming from now a pair of original Mackie 824s, generation one.

I have been reading about these Genelec One speakers, im intrigued by the technology of the One driver. They might be over my price......but any views anyone on what they are like ?

I think that the Neuamann 310 and the PMC Result 6 are both on my shortlist to try....just not sure what else yet.

I may well make a trip down South to KMR and indeed Funky Junk and see whats what.

When you do a listening test like that, i'm not sure how useful that is when its not in my own environment, whats the thoughts on this and what is the best way to get the most out of an opportunity like that as far as what to take to listen too and how best to compare ?

Matthew
Matthew Seed
Regular

Postby jaminem » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:52 pm

I have KH310's they are brilliant, simply put I dont worry as much about mix translation now. I still check on 2 sets of cans and a mixcube, but I find I am now making more 'choices' than 'corrections' these days. Forget the Mackie's they are simply not in the same ballpark. Not even the same sport in fact. I had some years and while they were a good step up from the hifi speakers I had before, they do funny things to the bottom end. Spend time rockwoolling the arse off your room, and take decent well known ref material to KMR...

Good luck.
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby Matthew Seed » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:39 pm

Thanks jaminem the more i read the more I am thinking that the 310's could be the ones for me. the only snag is they push me £400 over my limit. Thats one for me to think about. I am still interested in the PMC Result 6 monitors too. Of course I have heard neither of them its on speculation based on what i am reading online and advice from the guys n gals on here. Hugh made the point that a 3 way speaker will always out perform a 2 way one....just maybe that might be the reason to spend the extra on the 310's.

Hmmmm, new year approaching and a lot to think about.

Matthew
Matthew Seed
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:43 pm

As one of the biggest cheapskates on this forum I'm aware I'm being a bit hypocritical, but £400 for a probably-once-in-a-lifetime purchase would be a terrible regret to carry around... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Matthew Seed » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:01 pm

Your right blinddrew except my budget was £2000 and i'm already pushed at £2500. I can't keep pushing it up and up. Ya know what it's like i'm sure.

Matt
Matthew Seed
Regular

Next