You are here

broadcast - quality turntable

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

broadcast - quality turntable

Postby CeruttiA » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:07 pm

Does anyone know the turntable LAD Gaj 828 P ? Any experience with listening to it ?

I am being offerred it for 300 €, good price ?

Images can be found here :

https://www.google.fr/search?q=LAd+Gaj+ ... WCweWDFgLM:
CeruttiA
Poster
Paris, France
- passionate by sound. Equipment: Rogers LS 5/8 / Audio Research SP11

Re: broadcast - quality turntable

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:30 am

My policy has always been, if it says 'professional' on the front, it almost certainly isn't! :lol:

Sorry -- no experience with that thing at all and never seen one before. It looks like a typical direct-drive DJ deck.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: broadcast - quality turntable

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:33 pm

Did some digging.

Seems to be from a small and now long-gone British manufacturer -- London Acoustical Developments -- I vaguely remember it as a small independent one-man band type of outfit that was around at the UK trade shows in the late 80s.

This 828P deck was intended to compete with the dominant Technics SL1200 DJ/Broadcast market. It is a straightforward direct-drive design -- possibly based on JVC's OEM mechanics and electronics -- and the arm is a bespoke LAD variant of the Jelco 370H with a different headshell and counterweight, and a slightly shorter arm tube length (9 inches instead of 10 in the standard 370). Nevertheless, Jelco arms are generally pretty nicely designed and should be good if well looked after.

I gather the Gaj828P was a high-torque deck -- the company made several variations on the same theme -- and the P model was claimed to have a starting torque of 1.5kg/cm rather than the 800g/cm of the standard model.

Ten years ago they were going for around £60 on the used market...

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound