You are here

Best wireless lavalier mic for interview style videos?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Best wireless lavalier mic for interview style videos?

Postby TimTimTim » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:38 pm

I'm looking to get better sound quality for my work, I make vlog/interview style videos. Currently I use a RODE Video Mic Pro and Zoom H1 recorder, but I've been advised to invest in a lavalier microphone. I would like to get a wireless one as it will be easier when shooting on location. My knowledge in sound recording is basic, any help would be appreciated. If the microphone can record into a iPad swell as my Zoom H1, that would be a bonus!

Also, I do most of the videos in an office and we pad it out with acoustic panels. Do we still need to worry about the environment as much if we are using a lavalier?

Many thanks, Tim :D
TimTimTim

Re: Best wireless lavalier mic for interview style videos?

Postby Bob Bickerton » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:12 pm

Pretty standard would be something like the DPA 4060 and a Sennheiser G3 radio system. You could buy the battery driven receiver for maximum portability. You would then take the output from this into a recording device.

However if you’re happy to add the audio in post then a simpler solution might be something like the Tascam DR-10L http://www.tascam.eu/en/dr-10l.html. This is a bespoke recorder with its own lavalier microphone. I’m not familiar with the microphone itself, but that could be swapped out for a DPA later.

A number of video editing programmes ‘sync to audio’ making synchronisation easy provided you record sound on your camera.

Using a lavalier will likely attenuate room sound relative to a camera born microphone.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby blinddrew » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:20 am

Bob's pretty much covered it, but just to add a bit of personal experience. When doing 'talking heads' features for work we generally use a shotgun mic just off camera rather than a lavalier as a) it's a bit more relaxed, and b) there's less chance of someone breaking it. ;)
I generally clean up the sound using the Voice De-noise in Izotope RX Elements afterwards (because our rooms are completely untreated), and this gives a perfectly acceptable sound.
What I have found is that, as Bob says above, when using a lavalier the signal to noise ratio is much higher (because the mic is closer) and room effects are considerably reduced. You might not need your treatment at all.
All this, naturally, depends on what production standards you're trying to hit. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby John Willett » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:23 pm

With Sennehiser it's G4 nowadays - G3 is the old system (though I still have a G1 at home ;) )

If budget allows the Audio Ltd. A10 digital system is superb (now owned by Sound Devices).

Mic should ideally be a Sennehsier MKE 2 or MKE 1 or a DPA 4060 or the new 6060 - the 6060 and the MKE 1 are both about 3mm in diameter, so *very* small.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle