You are here

How to use Matrix out in Soundcraft Si Expression?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

How to use Matrix out in Soundcraft Si Expression?

Postby bill_505 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:29 pm

Can someone please explain me how to use the matrix in soundcraft expression si? i want to connect another pair of speakers and i want to send the LR to those speakers.
bill_505
Poster

Re: How to use Matrix out in Soundcraft Si Expression?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:36 pm

The matrix facility on a live sound console essentially provides 'a mix of mixes'. In other words, the input sources for the matrix outputs are other mixed outputs within the console, such as the subgroups, aux sends, main outputs, etc.

So you just need to pick the matrix outputs you want to use to feed the additional speakers, and then turn up the appropriate console main LR mix output signals as the sources for those particular matrix sends.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby bill_505 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:47 pm

This is what i did in the si expression but it didn't worked. i'll try it again, maybe i didn't select the correct patch. thanks!
bill_505
Poster

Postby djangodeadman » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:09 am

This is the relevant section from the manual, which explains how to have bus mixes contribute to a matrix mix. Note that you have to press the matrix button a second time to access the LR and Mono contributions to the matrix, which is what you are trying to do:

Press the MTX1follow key, notice the faders have changed colour as they are now your sends from the buses to Matrix Bus 1 whilst the ON keys are now the routing ON/OFF from the buses to the Matrix. Also note the SEL key over the MONO/SEL fader is lit and the FaderGlow has changed colour to orange as this is now the MTX1 Master fader.

Raise fader#1 (Mix 1) to send Mix 1 to the Matrix; Note that the Si EXPRESSION has already SOLOd Matrix 1 for you enabling you to hear it without the need to press any other keys. To add contribution from the L&R and MONO buses to a matrix mix press the MTX1 key again; the 3 faders to the left of the fader bank keys now operate as left, right and mono contributions to the matrix.

You also need to route your matrix mix to a pair of physical outputs. You do this in the Outputs section of the menu.

Apologies if you already know all of this.
djangodeadman
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:57 am

Very helpful -- thank you Django. :thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby bill_505 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:14 am

djangodeadman wrote:This is the relevant section from the manual, which explains how to have bus mixes contribute to a matrix mix. Note that you have to press the matrix button a second time to access the LR and Mono contributions to the matrix, which is what you are trying to do:

Press the MTX1follow key, notice the faders have changed colour as they are now your sends from the buses to Matrix Bus 1 whilst the ON keys are now the routing ON/OFF from the buses to the Matrix. Also note the SEL key over the MONO/SEL fader is lit and the FaderGlow has changed colour to orange as this is now the MTX1 Master fader.

Raise fader#1 (Mix 1) to send Mix 1 to the Matrix; Note that the Si EXPRESSION has already SOLOd Matrix 1 for you enabling you to hear it without the need to press any other keys. To add contribution from the L&R and MONO buses to a matrix mix press the MTX1 key again; the 3 faders to the left of the fader bank keys now operate as left, right and mono contributions to the matrix.

You also need to route your matrix mix to a pair of physical outputs. You do this in the Outputs section of the menu.

Apologies if you already know all of this.

Thanks a lot!
bill_505
Poster

Postby djangodeadman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:14 am

Glad to be of help. For future reference, this is also the easiest way that I've found to set up a stereo out for recording purposes.
djangodeadman
Regular

Postby bill_505 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:50 pm

This is how it works what i was looking for: first of all you have to use 2 MTX's if you want to take the LR of the expression. You go to MTX 1 for example, in the first page and from the master channel you choose the physical output you want on the left patch. Then you choose the MTX 2 and with the same process you choose the other one physical output for the right patch.

This is it. Now in MTX 1 you have the left channel and in MTX 2 you have the right channel.
bill_505
Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:37 pm

Just picking up on this - as per your original post.

Unfortunately, I've been nowhere near an Expression desk recently, but think I may have solved the issue.

Originally you said you wanted to duplicate the Left/Right mix outputs onto other outputs (in addition to the standard channels 15/16).

To do this:

In the main menu Select 'Outputs'

Select the Main Output channel fader (button above the fader).

You should then see this menu:

Click on the cell to the right of 'Patch 02'.

Then select an (odd-numbered) output, e.g. 'O/P 13'

The main mix will now be duplicated on channels 13 and 14.

I haven't actually done this much, and can't validate this action, so I'm just going off the manual - hope it works!

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby zenguitar » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:53 am

Thanks Bob :clap:

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby djangodeadman » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:41 am

bill_505 wrote:This is how it works what i was looking for: first of all you have to use 2 MTX's if you want to take the LR of the expression. You go to MTX 1 for example, in the first page and from the master channel you choose the physical output you want on the left patch. Then you choose the MTX 2 and with the same process you choose the other one physical output for the right patch.

This is it. Now in MTX 1 you have the left channel and in MTX 2 you have the right channel.

You should be able to route a single Matrix to two outputs. There should be no need to yes two. I have done this on a number of occasions. However, if it works for you, it's fine., obviously.
djangodeadman
Regular

Postby djangodeadman » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:42 am

Bob Bickerton wrote:Just picking up on this - as per your original post.

Unfortunately, I've been nowhere near an Expression desk recently, but think I may have solved the issue.

Originally you said you wanted to duplicate the Left/Right mix outputs onto other outputs (in addition to the standard channels 15/16).

To do this:

In the main menu Select 'Outputs'

Select the Main Output channel fader (button above the fader).

You should then see this menu:

Click on the cell to the right of 'Patch 02'.

Then select an (odd-numbered) output, e.g. 'O/P 13'

The main mix will now be duplicated on channels 13 and 14.

I haven't actually done this much, and can't validate this action, so I'm just going off the manual - hope it works!

Bob

It looks as if that should work too, although I've never tried it either.
djangodeadman
Regular