You are here

After installing proofing, is this space big enough for a mini-studio?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

After installing proofing, is this space big enough for a mini-studio?

Postby adamotyril » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:53 pm

Hi,

I am considering installing 'room within a room' in a room in my house.

I have supplied a link at the foot of this message to a diagram of the projected *useable space* i would be left with *AFTER* creating a room within a room.

Just to emphasise that crucial point...the diagram does NOT represent the space I start with,
but represents the floor space, shape, (and notes the ceiling height) that i would have at my disposal AFTER installing 'room within a room' soundproofing.

Or put another way, it is the projected inner space of the smaller 'inner' room if i did the work.

No additional subdivision of the room would be planned

But some sound treatment within that space is possible (eg. corner bass traps, and acoustic panels of , perhaps, 10 cm depth attached to walls)

other notes concerning project -

Projected Use of space - as sound proof playing area, and (as far as possible) 'dead' acoustic environment for recording of acoustic instruments such as guitar, mando, violin, banjo, vocals.

Accomodation of desk, monitors, and useage for mixing tracks within room

I'd probably have the desk facing to the right (as the diagram is presented) with bass traps in the right angle corners. The 'bay' shape (left after following a bay window shape in the original outer room) would be behind me.

Ventilation apparatus will be located outside of the space represented, so won't reduce the space futher, though various sound treatment options (panels, bass traps) would have to fit inside.

My question to you is this

- does the space available allow this usage to be possible? Or will the space limitation create acoustic problems that are too great?

- VERY IMPORTANT - please note I'm NOT expecting or aiming at 'perfection' or anything close...just a compromised but nonetheless *workable* space for the uses I state above.

Of course i'd have more internal space if it was possible...but i must work with what i have.

-please don't suggest i use the interior space without soundproofing...I know i could to that, it's what I currently do. This entire question concerns the viability of the possible available space after comprehensive sound proofing, thanks : )

- please note i'm not aiming at having a 'live' area...i'll settle for 'as dead as poss' for acoustic instruments, and a reasonable treated monitoring/mixing space.
I would if necessary applys some reverb via headphones, and, when mixing tracks, would apply reverb when mixing.

I would just add that i have heard of people using similar sized spaces for their work, and I notice that some 'off the shelf' soundproof garden music studio products offer a similar limited overal internal area.

While these instances clearly fall short of any 'fully professional' ideal space - this question concerns *possible use* within the limitations i'm presented with.

Thanks for any thoughts about the viablility of the space represented in the diagram.

here is a link to the diagram.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/184459850 ... ed-public/

With regards

A
adamotyril
New here

Re: After installing proofing, is this space big enough for a mini-studio?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:27 pm

It's on the 'cosy' side, as you obviously are aware, but I'd have thought it a perfectly workable space as a solo room -- a space for you and some monitor speakers with a bit of elbow room to play and record acoustic instruments.

But it will depend on how much equipment you want to pile in there, and what kind of instruments you want to play.

And if you're doing the room-within-a-room thing, make sure you sort out some silenced forced-air ventilation. Small acoustically-sealed rooms get very hot and very stuffy very quickly!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:42 pm

It's a larger space than my current studio. I don't record acoustically much but I have a lot of synthesizers in there as well as a large table, mixing desk, PC, monitors etc. Cramped, but usable.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:45 pm

My room is around 3.8m square but with a very low ceiling. I find it comfortable for rehearsing a three piece with acoustic drums and have had 5 muso's in there. I'd echo what the others have said, it'll be cosy but definitely workable.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby James Perrett » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:06 am

That's probably bigger than the control room in our first commercial studio and we would often have the members of a whole band in there while mixing. It could also handle a couple of people doing overdubs if needed. Yes, things were very cosy but manageable.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby adamotyril » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:17 pm

Thanks very much for your responses.

I'm feeling encouraged. Excited, even.

Two other big design issues will be ventilation and sound treatment within that space.

I think I may ask a separate question on silent forced air ventilation system, which must be fitted within the context of the architectural/exterior layout/conditions I have to work with

I'm assuming the moderator/s will prefer focussed questions on very specific points, instead of what could become a long wander through a number of issues !

Thanks again
adamotyril
New here

Postby Wonks » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:12 pm

Less the mods, more on what will help you get the answers you need. You'll probably get more responses if you ask a number of individual specific questions than keep adding them on the end of one long thread.

And try and pick the best forum for each question. If it's about recording hardware, then this is a good one. If it's about constructing the recording space and soundproofing or ventilation, then the DIY Electronics and Studio Design forum is best.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:23 am

And, if you hadn't already, give the 'Summerly Studios" sticky thread at the top of the DIY forum a read, #Tonyes335 has been there and done it, all be it on a grander scale than most of us can manage. It's a long thread but the detail on room within room build and ventilation attenuators should be very relevant and make it time well spent.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DC-Choppah » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:53 am

adamotyril wrote:Hi,

Projected Use of space - as sound proof playing area, and (as far as possible) 'dead' acoustic environment for recording of acoustic instruments such as guitar, mando, violin, banjo, vocals.

Accomodation of desk, monitors, and useage for mixing tracks within room

A

I think a lot of us are in your same situation, where you have to engineer and mix from within the same room that you track.

I have a bit more space than you but everything is in the same room just like you.

Since everything is in one room is, you are recording with the same equipment that runs your studio, so keep the fans quiet. Better yet go completely noiseless.

The problems come in when you start to compress tracks. You will hear all of your equipment noise n the mix as you bring the lower level stuff up.

Pay special attention to keeping your recording equipment silent in that space. You will thank me later. Or not because you won't have to worry abut it. That will be $20 please in advance.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster