You are here

Recording Claps

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Recording Claps

Postby iman nobakhti » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:36 am

Greetings every one

Here's the situation i've got and I need some advice ;
For my project I find out that I should record group of claps rather than using some sample to achieve the sound that I want . The song genre is somehow Disco funky and the great reference for clap sound is the sound in the Lose your self to dance(Daft Punk).

I have some mics and I don't know which one with what angle is the best for recording claps;
1.single sm57
2.single sm58
3.sm7b
4.RodeNT1

I'll be greatful to hear some advice.
iman nobakhti

Re: Recording Claps

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:08 pm

It's really not going to make a huge difference once mixed into the song, but if you want that fast percussive clicky attack I'd go with the NT1, or if you want a a sound with more body and less prominent attack edges I'd use the SM57.

Don't place the mic too close, and it might be worth considering a pop screen just to make sure that any high-velocity air expelled from the closing hands doesn't blast the capsule. And record with plenty of headroom because those transients will be big.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby jimjazzdad » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:14 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:It's really not going to make a huge difference once mixed into the song, but if you want that fast percussive clicky attack I'd go with the NT1, or if you want a a sound with more body and less prominent attack edges I'd use the SM57.

Don't place the mic too close, and it might be worth considering a pop screen just to make sure that any high-velocity air expelled from the closing hands doesn't blast the capsule. And record with plenty of headroom because those transients will be big.

H
This same question was posted on 'that other audio forum' and I gave the opposite advice to yours, citing the very reasons you give. I suggested SM7B or SM58 because of their 'pop' shields and preferred dynamic over condenser mics for their body and less room ambience. I guess I'm not thinking alike the great minds...
:oops:
jimjazzdad
Regular
Halifax, NS, CANADA

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:21 pm

jimjazzdad wrote:I suggested SM7B or SM58 because of their 'pop' shields...

Sure... but I would prioritise sound character over wind-poofing. Especially since it's not hard to place a pop-screen in front of any other mic.

... and preferred dynamic over condenser mics for their body and less room ambience.

We agree that a dynamic will typically have more body and less transient to the sound compared to a capacitor mic. The choice of which is 'best' will be a personal preference in the context of the track. There is no right or wrong. I'm not so sure about the room ambience thing; similar polar patterns, similar frequency responses, and similar sensitivity/gain will capture similar amounts of room ambience.

I guess I'm not thinking alike the great minds...

We're not miles apart, and you've identified exactly the same issues as me.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Wonks » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:04 pm

I've sure I've seen recommendations for ribbon mics for claps and tambourines. Am I wrong? Or is it just another flavour that may work well in some instances and less so in others?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:11 pm

Another flavour... and one that's even more sensitive to wind blasts!

A mid way between the typical moving-coil 'body' and the capacitor 'snap'. Ribbons are relatively fast, but with a curtailed HF and a freedom from HF resonance... so a useful alternate character option.
Hugh Robjohns