You are here

Will 100w be enough for solo gigs and recording?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Will 100w be enough for solo gigs and recording?

Postby seriousnewbie » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:38 pm

I apologize if the question is ridiculous, I am looking at getting either a Marshall JVM/DSL amp head. It looks like the max wattage for both of them is 100w, just wondering if that will be enough for recording and solo gigs.

Just a side question, Marshall JVM(210h) or DSL?
seriousnewbie
Poster

Re: Will 100w be enough for solo gigs and recording?

Postby CS70 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:44 pm

The question is ridicolous :D

A 100W tube head can do any gig. For recording.. you may find it's actually too loud if you want the feel of the overdriven power amp section, you may need to place it in another room.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby seriousnewbie » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:10 pm

CS70 wrote:The question is ridicolous :D
sorry
A 100W tube head can do any gig. For recording.. you may find it's actually too loud if you want the feel of the overdriven power amp section, you may need to place it in another room.
seriousnewbie
Poster

Postby BJG145 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:25 pm

seriousnewbie wrote:It looks like the max wattage for both of them is 100w, just wondering if that will be enough for recording and solo gigs.

I'd have thought it might be too much.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:46 pm

A 30W AC30 is too much for most gigs.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby seriousnewbie » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:03 pm

Guys, sorry if this question sounded stupid, I thought 100w was enough as well, but I had a couple people on google and in person say that 100w might not be enough, it was relatively split.
seriousnewbie
Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:42 pm

seriousnewbie wrote:Guys, sorry if this question sounded stupid, I thought 100w was enough as well, but I had a couple people on google and in person say that 100w might not be enough, it was relatively split.

In my experience people on the internet are not necessarily answering the question they were asked but instead answering the one they have an opinion on.

Usually what happens here is - you ask a question and some folks will throw some more questions back at you to clarify the situation and examine your assumptions.

Also, you may be insulted by strangers, do not take this personally. There is an excess of irony in this place which comes from a sense of camaraderie but can be misconstrued.

Things you need to know:

Not all 100w amps are equal, in fact not all 100w amps are 100w amps.

Many huge gigs are played with tiny amps which are amplified in turn by a PA system appropriate for the room.

For an overdriven sound it's usually much better to have a small amp turned up than a big one either turned down or drowning out the drummer.

Many huge gigs are played with no amp at all.

Tone is the first goal, volume can be addressed later.

So, what's your scenario?
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby zenguitar » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:00 am

Of the two Marshalls you suggested, I would pick the DSL. But the 50W head rather than the 100W version. And even that will be far too loud for most gigs. The DSL 50 is a lovely amp, but still needs taming for use in the real world.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby resistorman » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:51 am

You only need serious power for bass frequencies. I’ve been in bands where a 30 watt guitar amp was too much and the bar owner made the guitar player turn the amp around.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby seriousnewbie » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:01 am

shufflebeat wrote:
seriousnewbie wrote:Guys, sorry if this question sounded stupid, I thought 100w was enough as well, but I had a couple people on google and in person say that 100w might not be enough, it was relatively split.

In my experience people on the internet are not necessarily answering the question they were asked but instead answering the one they have an opinion on.

Usually what happens here is - you ask a question and some folks will throw some more questions back at you to clarify the situation and examine your assumptions.

Also, you may be insulted by strangers, do not take this personally. There is an excess of irony in this place which comes from a sense of camaraderie but can be misconstrued.

Things you need to know:

Not all 100w amps are equal, in fact not all 100w amps are 100w amps.

Many huge gigs are played with tiny amps which are amplified in turn by a PA system appropriate for the room.

For an overdriven sound it's usually much better to have a small amp turned up than a big one either turned down or drowning out the drummer.

Many huge gigs are played with no amp at all.

Tone is the first goal, volume can be addressed later.

So, what's your scenario?
Solo artist, gigs AND recording. no worry of disturbing neighbors, we call it country. I play country, rock, and in some scenarios, even pop. My main guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul.
seriousnewbie
Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:04 am

Get a decent amp modelling pedal, your sounds will be consistent across gigging/recording and between venues.

When you need to turn it down it will still sound big and powerful, like a very small picture of a very large thing. When you need to turn it up it maintains the sound but the PA just makes a bigger picture.

Also, fits in a backpack.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Luke W » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:14 am

seriousnewbie wrote:I thought 100w was enough as well, but I had a couple people on google and in person say that 100w might not be enough

Those are usually the people who are always being asked to turn themselves down, but can't hear the request because their amp is too loud :thumbup:
Luke W
Regular
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby BJG145 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:51 am

...so this is all solo stuff; singing with backing tracks...? I'd have thought you could pick up a single full-range system, small / light / compact / good quality, and run everything through that with a modelling pedal as shufflebeat suggests. What are you currently using for backing and vocals...?
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:54 am

Just to clarify, I wrote "the question is ridiculous" with a smiley and only because you had used the expression. Absolutely no insult meant.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:02 am

On a practical note, there's nothing wrong with a 100W amp when you want crystal clean sound: 100W means that you will be heard clearly while using a tiny percentage of the available power, so there'll be loads of headroom available and no preamp/power amp distortion. Often for that stuff people uses Fenders - a Twin is seen on stage very often exactly for that reason - but a Marshall clean channel will do just as well.

It's only if you want the feel of power amp saturation that things become ballistic, because to push the power section of a 100W tube amp you need to play at ear-bursting volume levels.

Nowadays, to get that feel (while preserving yours and other's sanity and hearing) by using lower wattage amps and mic-ing them if needed. For example, I often use my Mesa in 5W mode with a e906 mic - great feel, good volume on stage, good sound off the PA.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Next