You are here

PC Monitor for decent video resolution - HDMI?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

PC Monitor for decent video resolution - HDMI?

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:49 am

What Ho!

I have an Asus 27" monitor on my desktop PC (Scan) which only has VGA and DVI inputs. I'm using DVI.

Now that I'm getting into semi-serious video work I'm discovering the inadequacies of my monitor. I've tried 'tweaking', but both colour rendition and screen resolution are pretty poor when compared to our modest TV. (Video I shoot is full HD (no plans for 4K) at 50fps.)

I'm considering changing to an HDMI monitor. Nothing too fancy - 27" in the £100-£150 (ish) price-point. NB it has to be 27" as it has to fit into a limited space - no room for expansion! The Scan PC has an HDMI output so no worries there.

Am I going to see a significant improvement in colour rendition and resolution if I switch to an HDMI monitor? Any recommendations at that size and price-point?

I thenk yew! :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Re: PC Monitor for decent video resolution - HDMI?

Postby CS70 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:15 am

Bit depends on what shortcomings you experience. Resolution, refresh rate, or both?

DVI and HDMI can both support high resolution - 1920x1200 at 60Hz.
But if you want higher refresh rate, HDMI 2.0 supports 1440p at 144Hz , which DMI doesn't (you've gotta use a hi-speed cable). Make sure your output is HDMI 2.0 before buying.

As of colors, it's really about the panel, not the digital connection, and it's a bit like audio monitors: in the price range you indicate things will be pretty much as you have now, I guess. However, most monitors can be calibrated relatively ok.

Remember that like in audio, people will look and print with all sorts of devices so you need a to be able to make relative decisions, not absolute.

If you want better, you can measure the output in controlled conditions using an external hardware tool and use the results to make calibration moves (either on the screen itself or some software) - a bit like you would with a measurement mic.

I have an old Spyder 4 that I got cheap second hand and it's served me well but havent used it for a while now.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Agharta » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:59 pm

1080P/50 is entry level so that is straightforward.
I suggest looking at your overall workflow and setting goals.
As well as resolution, look at bit depth, colour space, file format and target formats.
Your cameras will define the maximum native specs you can work with.
Then your software needs to accommodate those.
Then you decide what formats you deliver in.

The cheapest and easiest way to get a decent quality monitor for video work is probably to get one that is pre-calibrated and covers the colour spaces that you require.
27” will give you 1080P, 1440P or 4K.
The downside of 1440p is that it is not a whole number ratio of 1080P, so in full screen mode the video is interpolated.
Whereas with 4K it is exactly 4 times 1080P, at least with monitors.
For video do look at the differences between the terms 4K and UHD. Confusing.

Also consider the viewability of text at the native resolution of the screen and whether you like to use scaling.
If some of your software doesn’t scale well it might become unusable.
I’d be tempted to suggest a 4K screen and scale it with a 4 to 1 ratio. Not sure if that means 200%.
For 4K at standard refresh rates you will need HDMI 2.x.
Check which version you have as 1.x tops out at 4K/30.
If you have DisplayPort then that might work with an adapter, but only if you have a suitable version.

Note added.
HDMI 1.x is basically DVI with audio added which means you can use passive adapters or cables costing a few pounds with no loss in signal quality as there is no conversion.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby jaminem » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:01 pm

Hi Mike for 4K If your HDMI out on the PC isn't HDMI 2, you wont be able to get 60Hz refresh rate, and as a result the video will look slightly jerky...

As others have said, you need either Display port or HDMI 2 , via an expansion card if your graphics card doesn't have either of those. I would have a look tho as I suspect your graphics will have display port - at which point check if it does 4K and then buy a monitor with a display port socket (which is pretty much every 4K monitor.

Incidentally since I'm just down the road in Calne and have an Asus 4K monitor PB287Q 28" (but small bezel) in excellent condition with the box and stand etc, that I am looking to sell, you could give me a shout, we could work something out in your price range im sure...

If you pick it up, I can show you it working so you can be sure its right for you, no worries if its not for you, but at least you could make a decision based on what you actually see..

PM if interested...
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:13 pm

jaminem wrote:Hi Mike for 4K

Think Mike mentioned he didn't need 4K? :)
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby jaminem » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:33 pm

CS70 wrote:

...that'll learn me to read the post properly...

doh!

...and then there's lockdown...

I was trying to be nice, ignore me :headbang:
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby Agharta » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:56 pm

CS70 wrote:
If we wants to use the monitor for other things then being able to run 4k/60 may be relevant.
As I said earlier, a 4k monitor allows you to run 1080p without interpolation, so a 4k monitor might still be a good option. 1080p on a 27" screen and the pixels are fairly large.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:52 pm

Agharta wrote:
CS70 wrote:
If we wants to use the monitor for other things then being able to run 4k/60 may be relevant.
As I said earlier, a 4k monitor allows you to run 1080p without interpolation, so a 4k monitor might still be a good option. 1080p on a 27" screen and the pixels are fairly large.

He also mentioned £100-150 ;-)

But no big deal, he'll make his mind himself.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Agharta » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:12 pm

CS70 wrote:
Agharta wrote:
CS70 wrote:

He also mentioned £100-150 ;-)

But no big deal, he'll make his mind himself.
Exactly, give the info and let him decide. :thumbup:
That budget might well not be realistic for someone "getting into semi-serious video work", so I wouldn't let that stop me giving options outside that price range.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:18 pm

Thanks all!

Just a word on the 'semi-serious video work'. Sloppy phrasing on my part probably. I meant that I'm doing lots of video-editing, but strictly not-for-profit stuff. All destined for YouTube...

My query was occasioned because I took out my new-to-me Sony camera yesterday and shot about 45 minutes of 'video wallpaper' Got back and was very disappointed with what I was seeing. I was about to delete virtually all of it, but decided to put it on a USB stick and try it on the TV. A revelation. Much better colour rendition and sharper definition.

I could go to £200 at a push, but will probably need to do more research and analysis.

Thanks again! :thumbup:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Agharta » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:42 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:My query was occasioned because I took out my new-to-me Sony camera yesterday and shot about 45 minutes of 'video wallpaper' Got back and was very disappointed with what I was seeing. I was about to delete virtually all of it, but decided to put it on a USB stick and try it on the TV. A revelation. Much better colour rendition and sharper definition.

A cheap TN panel monitor can look terrible for various reasons.
One being that they have very narrow viewing angles, so if you are viewing outside of that the picture will look much worse.
If you list your current monitor we can see if it's a dog.
Hopefully it is as that way you won't need to pay so much to get a very noticeable improvement.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:31 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:My query was occasioned because I took out my new-to-me Sony camera yesterday and shot about 45 minutes of 'video wallpaper' Got back and was very disappointed with what I was seeing. I was about to delete virtually all of it, but decided to put it on a USB stick and try it on the TV. A revelation. Much better colour rendition and sharper definition

Most monitors can be tweaked to improve colour rendition -- colour temperature, saturation and so forth -- and there are online test and alignment aids.

As for the definition, I wonder if that's an issue with the scalar processing in your graphics card, converting the HD picture from your camera to whatever larger pixel count is in your monitor. The TV would be showing it pixel for pixel -- no scaling necessary.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby James Perrett » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:52 pm

It may also be worth saying that the average modern TV processes the picture to make it look sharper (or at least the Samsung TV's we have here do). If you try to display a computer image on it you will find little borders around the letters as the sharpening algorithm does its stuff unless you disable it. So you may not be comparing like with like.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby CS70 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:09 am

Mike Stranks wrote:My query was occasioned because I took out my new-to-me Sony camera yesterday and shot about 45 minutes of 'video wallpaper' Got back and was very disappointed with what I was seeing. I was about to delete virtually all of it, but decided to put it on a USB stick and try it on the TV. A revelation. Much better colour rendition and sharper definition.

Worth also checking if there is a specific Windows driver/software for your monitor - often the driver allows you to tweak the sharpness and it makes a lot of difference (besides allowing you to change the parameters from software, which is far easier than by using the fashionable "touch" buttons which so many monitors have).
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:14 pm

Further update....

I've spent some time this afternoon playing video and doing further tweaking of the various monitor controls, of which there are many!

I've now got video 'resolution' - using the word in an imprecise and non-technical way - to be much much better.... my search for a 'better' monitor is now in abeyance. :D
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Next