You are here

Kettle lead at back of monitor buzzing / rattling

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Kettle lead at back of monitor buzzing / rattling

Postby Shmerl86 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:42 pm

There is a buzzing / rattling sound coming from where the power cable connects to the back of my ADAM A7X studio monitor. It's not an electrical buzz. Certain frequencies excite the cable itself causing it to buzz. I know this because when I hold the cable itself tightly or hold it firmly in it's socket the noise stops. It only happens in one of my speakers. I've cleaned the socket itself but it doesn't change anything. I've tried switching the kettle lead but no joy either.

has anyone had this issue? Does anyone have advice on how to solve it?!

Thank you!

Amir
Shmerl86

Re: Kettle lead at back of monitor buzzing / rattling

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:56 pm

Sounds like the chassis connector is loose in the speaker, a couple of blobs of superglue might solve it, but don't go mad or you'll have a hard time removing the connector in future...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:19 pm

A generous lump of blu-tac might be a good idea for exploring where the problem actually is.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:42 pm

shufflebeat wrote:A generous lump of blu-tac might be a good idea for exploring where the problem actually is.

Yep, that's a nice easy solution that could last.

Or even some folded paper down the side of the IEC socket before you push the plug in might do the trick.

Martin
Martin Walker