You are here

WAV vs samples

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

WAV vs samples

Postby bunda » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:54 pm

Hello!

I'm not familar with all TERMS of sound...

i've quetsion, as all know every keyboard/synth has samples and instruments, also digital daw...like reason have "smp", and korg keyboard has "ksf"...etc...

My main point is...when we play those samples on the keyboards or virtual keyboard, when we play the notes: C4 D4 E4 F4 G4 A4 B4 then up by one octave C5 ETC...it is keep the time of the sample (or whatever term), ALSO the pitch is kept.

But if i play it by wav, Let's say i buy 1000 MB of wav sounds, then i want to use synth wav sound, and start C4 (normal) THEN we go D4 it's already change his pitch or time...i don't know the right term...

iS THERE ANY WAY TO CONVERT IT THAT WE CAN PLAY IT LIKE NORMAL SAMPLE?
bunda

Re: WAV vs samples

Postby desmond » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:34 pm

bunda wrote:i've quetsion, as all know every keyboard/synth has samples and instruments, also digital daw...like reason have "smp", and korg keyboard has "ksf"...etc...

Well, lots of synths don't have samples, especially analog ones, but skipping past that...

bunda wrote:My main point is...when we play those samples on the keyboards or virtual keyboard, when we play the notes: C4 D4 E4 F4 G4 A4 B4 then up by one octave C5 ETC...it is keep the time of the sample (or whatever term), ALSO the pitch is kept.

Either you are playing different samples of the same sound (ie, hit an F, and you play a sample of a flute playing an F, then hit a G, and you are playing a different sample of the flute playing a G) - ie you are playing a multisampled instrument *or* the keyboard/DAW is doing some extra work (either just transposing the sample, or doing more complicated work to generate the new pitch.

bunda wrote:But if i play it by wav, Let's say i buy 1000 MB of wav sounds, then i want to use synth wav sound, and start C4 (normal) THEN we go D4 it's already change his pitch or time...i don't know the right term...

Sure, as you are just doing basic transposing of one single audio sample here, so the sample will speed up as you go higher, and slow down as you go lower, unless you are using software that can do cleverer things.

bunda wrote:iS THERE ANY WAY TO CONVERT IT THAT WE CAN PLAY IT LIKE NORMAL SAMPLE?

A "normal" sample will change speed as you change the pitch. That *is* normal. To maintain speed as you change pitch, requires software that can do this - it's not a trivial thing.
desmond
Jedi Poster