You are here

An invitation to take part in a research survey

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

An invitation to take part in a research survey

Postby forumuser920226 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:18 pm

I am currently undertaking a research project that focuses on making the tools we use to produce music, specifically the mixing console, more accessible and intuitive to use.

I am very interested in exploring the opinions of musicians, producers and engineers to inform and steer the direction of this work. I am seeking to engage people who mix music in any capacity, from novice to expert, to take part in an online survey. The survey takes around 10 minutes to complete and participants have the opportunity to be entered into a prize draw for a £25 Amazon gift voucher.

Here is a link to the survey:

https://forms.gle/n5feDaDoEiQoYM1Y8

Please contact me if you have any questions: c.dewey@hud.ac.uk. Any time you could offer will be gratefully appreciated.

About me: I am a postgraduate researcher and lecturer in Music Technology at the University of Huddersfield, part of the Centre for Audio and Psychoacoustic Engineering (CAPE).

All the best

Chris Dewey

University of Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, UK
forumuser920226

Re: An invitation to take part in a research survey

Postby The Elf » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:20 pm

A few odd questions, as there always seem to be with these things, but I've completed it for you.

I've been meaning to come visit the U of H for a few years, but it never seems to happen. Say hi to them.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Smellthevalve » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:58 pm

My nephew was at Huddersfield, will have to see what he makes of the survey :D
Smellthevalve
Frequent Poster

Postby djangodeadman » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:49 pm

I’m afraid that I gave up part way through. I found the questions too vague and, most importantly, far too repetitive. My apologies.
djangodeadman
Regular

Postby RichardT » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:55 pm

Done!
RichardT
Regular
Samplehound-website My last album sold over a million copies - if you don't believe me, come and look in my garage.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:22 am

I answered it but I do think that some of the questions are far too vague. What on earth does "How secure do you find your mixing interface" mean?

Also gave neutral answers to some questions that really don't make a lot of sense to me. A "N/A" option would have been good on some of them too.

I think the questionnaire could be improved significantly, especially as it's trying to cover both hardware and DAWs which are very different animals. I would question the value of the information you'll get from the responses as a result.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Postby CS70 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:37 am

Same impression here... I understand how you define "mixing interface" and why you have been looking for a generic term to use, but in audio nobody would call a DAW a "mixing interface".

"interface" has a pretty strong connotation already - it's the hardware box or card that allows the computer to receive audio data.

Not sure if you'll ever read these comments - most "surveyors" never come back to their posts, but in case..

Done though.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby The Elf » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:43 am

These surveys invariably cause me to ponder on how well the people behind them understand their subject, but I'm always prepared to give it my best shot...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby adrian_k » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:08 am

I struggled to confine my answers to just the user interface, which is what I think the survey was asking me. Most DAW software these days has converged on a pretty usable user interface thats not too hard to learn and get results with.
However DAW features and functionality (that which is accessed via the user interface) can vary quite a lot. I couldn’t decide whether I was being asked about features and the underlying design at some points.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby Urthlupe » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:02 am

Yebbut......

....what will you spend the 25 quid on Elfie?

:mrgreen:

Loopy
Urthlupe
Frequent Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:07 pm

djangodeadman wrote:I’m afraid that I gave up part way through. I found the questions too vague and, most importantly, far too repetitive. My apologies.
I completed it but I'd have to agree it was vague & repetitive.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
'Cause the law don't change another's mind

Postby adrian_k » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:15 pm

Dynamic Mike wrote:
djangodeadman wrote:I’m afraid that I gave up part way through. I found the questions too vague and, most importantly, far too repetitive. My apologies.

I’m not sure but I seem to remember that part of designing these surveys can be to ask similar questions different ways to provide cross checks on the strength of response. But yes it didn’t make for a fun five minutes.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:58 pm

adrian_k wrote:
Dynamic Mike wrote:

I’m not sure but I seem to remember that part of designing these surveys can be to ask similar questions different ways to provide cross checks on the strength of response. But yes it didn’t make for a fun five minutes.
Indeed, it's one of the ways to compensate for unconscious bias. It doesn't make for fun surveys but it can be a useful technique. It can also help when talking about things that don't have crystal clear definitions.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby BJG145 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:44 pm

blinddrew wrote:
adrian_k wrote:
Dynamic Mike wrote:
djangodeadman wrote:I I found the questions too vague and, most importantly, far too repetitive.
I seem to remember that part of designing these surveys can be to ask similar questions different ways to provide cross checks on the strength of response. But yes it didn’t make for a fun five minutes.
Indeed, it's one of the ways to compensate for unconscious bias. It doesn't make for fun surveys

I remember a job interview that started with some kind of personality questionnaire where the questions were so repetitive for this reason that I started recording extreme dislike on things that didn't interest me, out of sheer annoyance.

I didn't get the job.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby VTypeV4 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:10 pm

Completed. :thumbup:
VTypeV4
Regular

Synkronize Music Group: Mastering House, Multi-track recording and bespoke tuition services.

www.synkronize.co.uk & www.facebook.com/synkronizemusicgroup
Equipped with Yamaha, A&H, JBL, Sony, TC Electronic, DBX and MOTU.

Next