You are here

Reference Mixing

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Reference Mixing

Postby outcast99 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:27 pm

Hey guys,

Im new to mixing and i know the songs i want to reference mix however i am trying to figure out the concept.

I currently use logic, how can i get the actualy songs into my daw? I read its not good to use mp3 so how would i be able to then? I have apple music, is there any way maybe i can transfer them into logic?

Im assuming there is a software to upload them into logic?

Any help would be much appreciated as this has been giving me a hard time!

Thanks!!
outcast99
New here
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue May 05, 2020 2:13 am

Re: Reference Mixing

Postby desmond » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:43 pm

Just drag the files into Logic.
You ideally want good quality files of course...

No, you can't really use streaming services for this as you don't have access to the files to load them into your DAW. You can use your computer to "record" them but that's probably against the TOU of the streaming service, so you'll really want to own the files you're using.
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10133
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Reference Mixing

Postby MOF » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:02 pm

Probably not a good idea to have them in Logic since you’ll most likely have output bus plugins processing your track. These will have to be disabled before listening to the reference track and then activated again to listen to your track.
Better to listen to the reference track in iTunes or Preview.
The mp3 ideally should be replaced with a CD quality version but so long as it’s a high quality mp3 it should be fine. You’re listening to eq, compression, effects etc.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1201
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:00 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Reference Mixing

Postby The Elf » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:57 pm

I'm sure Logic will allow you to route the reference to a 'clean' output.
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 14882
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Reference Mixing

Postby Kwackman » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:24 pm

The Elf wrote:I'm sure Logic will allow you to route the reference to a 'clean' output.

+1.
In the very recent past there was an article in the magazine about doing this in Cubase.
Different DAW but the ideas will be the same.

There are also a few plug-ins the will help make this easier for you. Metric A-B for one, there are others.


****[EDIT I was wrong, in the July issue it was actually about Delta monitoring, but I'm sure I read A/B comparing in a recent article too?]
User avatar
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1864
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Re: Reference Mixing

Postby DanDan » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:18 am

User avatar
DanDan
Regular
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:00 am
Location: Cork Ireland
Dan FitzGerald MIOA  MAES
www.irishacoustics.com
www.soundsound.ie

Re: Reference Mixing

Postby awjoe » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:16 am

DanDan wrote:https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/sample-magic-magic-ab

Yeah, that one worked for me.

Ozone works for me.

But I thought you pretty much *had* to get a plugin to do easy track referencing. Is there a DAW that does it as well as plugins?
User avatar
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2510
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:00 am
Music production is like finding a good hair dresser

Re: Reference Mixing

Postby The Elf » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:01 am

awjoe wrote:
DanDan wrote:https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/sample-magic-magic-ab

Yeah, that one worked for me.

Ozone works for me.

But I thought you pretty much *had* to get a plugin to do easy track referencing. Is there a DAW that does it as well as plugins?
Most of them! All you need to do is keep the reference muted and routed to a 'clean' output, and then solo it as you need.

I find this idea of needing a plug-in to do such a simple job a tad bemusing.
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 14882
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Reference Mixing

Postby Kwackman » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:54 am

The Elf wrote:I find this idea of needing a plug-in to do such a simple job a tad bemusing.

No, a plugin is not needed, but sometimes the extra facilities are worth it. e.g. The ability to change the levels of the reference track to avoid loudness bias, ability to have more than one reference track available, ability to loop part of the reference track etc.
As you said, it's not needed, but these options at the press of one button in one plug-in window might speed up some workflows.
YMMV!

I'm still convinced I read an article on how to do this without a plug-in in Cubase in SOS, but old memory might be playing up again!
User avatar
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1864
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Re: Reference Mixing

Postby RichardT » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:15 am

Kwackman wrote:
The Elf wrote:I find this idea of needing a plug-in to do such a simple job a tad bemusing.

No, a plugin is not needed, but sometimes the extra facilities are worth it. e.g. The ability to change the levels of the reference track to avoid loudness bias, ability to have more than one reference track available, ability to loop part of the reference track etc.
As you said, it's not needed, but these options at the press of one button in one plug-in window might speed up some workflows.
YMMV!

I'm still convinced I read an article on how to do this without a plug-in in Cubase in SOS, but old memory might be playing up again!

I agree with this - although the extra functions are not ‘necessary’ they are massively helpful - especially loudness matching and frequency band level comparison. Also they are very helpful in comparing premasters with masters when it’s possible to sync up the two versions and swap between them with a single keystroke. I use ‘Reference’ and it’s one of my favourite plugins.
RichardT
Regular
Posts: 278
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am
Location: London UK

Re: Reference Mixing

Postby outcast99 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:01 pm

Appreciate the help!

If i was to import songs into the metric ab plugin from itunes, do i have to buy the songs? Because at the moment it seems i cannot do it from library
outcast99
New here
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue May 05, 2020 2:13 am

Re: Reference Mixing

Postby desmond » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:04 pm

outcast99 wrote:If i was to import songs into the metric ab plugin from itunes, do i have to buy the songs? Because at the moment it seems i cannot do it from library

When you say iTunes, do you mean you have the mp3s/aafs? if so, yes you can import them directly. I'm not sure on the DRM status of the files though, if they are DRM protected you might not be able to read them.

If you don't have the files, and are instead streaming them off a server elsewhere, then what I said above applies.
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10133
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Reference Mixing

Postby outcast99 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:40 am

desmond wrote:
outcast99 wrote:If i was to import songs into the metric ab plugin from itunes, do i have to buy the songs? Because at the moment it seems i cannot do it from library

When you say iTunes, do you mean you have the mp3s/aafs? if so, yes you can import them directly. I'm not sure on the DRM status of the files though, if they are DRM protected you might not be able to read them.

If you don't have the files, and are instead streaming them off a server elsewhere, then what I said above applies.


Thanks desmond, would m4a files be okay as a reference mix? From what i see thats the file type from itunes
outcast99
New here
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue May 05, 2020 2:13 am

Re: Reference Mixing

Postby desmond » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:49 am

Yes, just drag them into Logic. Have you tried already?
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10133
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Reference Mixing

Postby outcast99 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:48 pm

Yea it works, someone told me m4a files are not good as a reference and you need the wav files instead? Is there any truth to that?
outcast99
New here
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue May 05, 2020 2:13 am

Next