You are here

Opinions on Yamaha MG24/14fx vs Allen Heath GL2

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Opinions on Yamaha MG24/14fx vs Allen Heath GL2

Postby VirtualReality » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:33 am

Hey this is my first thread and I hope that it’s the right place and the question is ok:

I am now looking to upgrade my studio for recording.....was working with a soundcraft epm 12 all the time (which I think is ok but I start disliking the eqs and just want something different and more sophisticated in terms of technical ability. I can’t really afford high class boards and was thinking about a SSL six because of its quality but then it’s a bit too small for my liking. I want to have the possibility to jam with more channels. But I don’t have space for too big consoles and I don’t really want to keep them in shape all the time. Just basic care because I can’t repair stuff.

Well now I am really curious about two „old“ mixers which I really like because they’re simple but look like they have a lot inside of them. The Yamaha MG/14FX and the Allen Heath GL2. The Yamaha is way more known and I love that they have spx effects in there. I love the spx rack fx units.

But does anyone have the GL2? It seems really solid and I can get one for 400-450€
Ca 50€ More than I could get the MG24 for.

Was it an „Upper“ scale Mixer when it came out? Most important to me is the sound quality and the EQ quality.

What to you guys think would make a more „quality“ board? Which is more sensitive to dust/ crackling of knobs/buttons?

Because I can’t really test them where I live and I can’t decide if to drive 200 km to to test it (private sellers), I want to know from the sound on sound forum users if anyone uses the GL2 and or if you can compare it to the Yamaha mg in terms of studio use....or are there any special difficulties/issues with the mixers I should know of .I would run the board to an RME fireface.

Thanks guys....appreciate every piece of advice.
VirtualReality

Re: Opinions on Yamaha MG24/14fx vs Allen Heath GL2

Postby resistorman » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:22 pm

Hi there! I don’t have either, but I’ve used plenty of small format AH and Yamaha consoles and they are both good, but I personally much prefer the eq on the AH consoles. Also, it’s nice having built in effects, but they’re usually very cut down in features, so I wouldn’t put too much weight on that.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby VirtualReality » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:24 pm

To share some background....as The GL 2 seems very unknown....I discovered it through Jeff Mills exhibitionist video and thought if he uses it it has to be at least not bad. So that’s probably the best „demo“ video you can find on this piece. So check it out :beamup:

https://youtu.be/qqW6Dfct6jQ
VirtualReality

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:08 pm

I've use a few A&H analogue mixers for live gigs and like them a lot, the biggest was an M3000 which was an absolute beast but we also had a few Zed series and a GL2200 which I bought for my studio when the company pensioned it off. I finally sold it when I went digital but it was a very nice desk with excellent eq. Assuming the GL2 is from the same family I'd expect it to be equally good sounding and almost infinitely repairable.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:04 am

Both very good desks... If I had to choose I'd go for the A&H...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:39 am

I just had a look at the A&H site for the GL2 service manual. It certainly looks versatile and it will probably be better made than the Yamaha but it isn't a particularly high end console. The mic preamps have some similarities to my A&H Saber console so they should be quiet and transparent. The eq also appears similar so it will be usable although I feel the bands are narrower than others I've used (though I've not actually measured them).

However, given the price I'm not sure that it offers more than one of their more recent offerings from the Zed or Mix Wizard range which may well be worth considering. The Mix Wizards (or at least the one I looked at) have a couple extra features with a polarity invert switch and a high pass filter which might be useful. There seem to be quite a few Mix Wizards for sale in Canada at

https://www.kijiji.ca/b-canada/allen-he ... izard/k0l0
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby resistorman » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:07 am

I had a Mix Wizard and really was sad to sell it when I went completely digital. Speaking of which, I use the Tascam Model 12 for the writing part of my studio as a mixer, interface, and standalone recorder when I don't want to stare at a screen. It's a digital mixer with analog layout.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/tascam-model-12
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:50 am

A&H, I changed from a Yamaha to a MixWizard, and the differences all round weren’t apparent until I actually started to use it, build quality of the A&H desks are in a different league, well worth the extra cash, and they sound very good indeed.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster