You are here

5.1 Surround Conversion?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

5.1 Surround Conversion?

Postby Visible Evidence » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:55 pm

I know that there are two ways to deliver 5.1 surround mix, one for broadcast and the other for theatrical. I have a broadcast surround mix (meant for living rooms) with specs at -27 LUFS integreated, 17.5 LU, and a top peak of 25db. I’m wondering if there is a way to convert that to a theatrical spread (meant for theaters)? Is there an app or plugin that can do this? Is it even possible? And if so, can I remix this in a small theater or do I need a large one.

Thanks.
Visible Evidence

Re: 5.1 Surround Conversion?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:26 pm

Visible Evidence wrote: I have a broadcast surround mix (meant for living rooms) with specs at -27 LUFS integreated, 17.5 LU, and a top peak of 25db.

Your numbers make no sense to me. The broadcast loudness target is -23LUFS (or -24LakFS in America), not -27 LUFS. And the LU figure is a value relative to the set target level of your meter, which would appear to be a bizarre -34.5LUFS... A True Peak level of only -25dBTP doesn't make any sense either... So I'm struggling to understand quite what you're working with here...

I’m wondering if there is a way to convert that to a theatrical spread (meant for theaters)? Is there an app or plugin that can do this?

None that I know of. If you want larger theatrical-style dynamics it would need a remix in an appropriate theatrical dubbing theatre.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Visible Evidence » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:50 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Visible Evidence wrote: Your numbers make no sense to me.

That's because I just realized I completely mis-typed them and can't find an edit button for the life of me. Sorry.

My numbers are:

-27 LUFS integrated
17.5 LRA
True peak of -2.5db

That's in line with the newer Netflix delivery specs. Should I be able to use the 5.1 discrete stems and convert them to a theatrical delivery? I understand the true peak there is 0db but that difference doesn't seem important for the genre of film this is.
Visible Evidence

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:46 pm

Visible Evidence wrote: My numbers are:

-27 LUFS integrated
17.5 LRA
True peak of -2.5db

Ah ha! Those make a lot more sense! :D :thumbup:

Should I be able to use the 5.1 discrete stems and convert them to a theatrical delivery?

I don't see why not... But i have no expertise in current theatrical film mixing practices. Hopefully someone who has will share their view....
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual...