You are here

Compensate added air with (mid-)low boost?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Compensate added air with (mid-)low boost?

Postby george_vel » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:31 pm

Guys,

When air is added (high shelf of 1.5db to 3-4db starting from 7-8kHz or 10kHz) is there a need to add (mid-)low shelf boost as well (1.5 to 2db starting at either 170Hz or 110 Hz) to compensate the change in the highs?

The reason I am asking is coming from the famous “smile” shape (but without the middle cut) and from the hypothesis that if clarity is added at the top it needs to be compensated with small addition of body in the lows to prevent the sound appears “thinner”.

Or I am wrong in my thinking and I’ll make the sound worse?
george_vel
Regular

Re: Compensate added air with (mid-)low boost?

Postby RichardT » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:45 pm

I would say, not necessarily! I often add slight HF boosts without adjusting anything else.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Re: Compensate added air with (mid-)low boost?

Postby CS70 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:17 pm

george_vel wrote:Guys,

When air is added (high shelf of 1.5db to 3-4db starting from 7-8kHz or 10kHz) is there a need to add (mid-)low shelf boost as well (1.5 to 2db starting at either 170Hz or 110 Hz) to compensate the change in the highs?

The reason I am asking is coming from the famous “smile” shape (but without the middle cut) and from the hypothesis that if clarity is added at the top it needs to be compensated with small addition of body in the lows to prevent the sound appears “thinner”.

Or I am wrong in my thinking and I’ll make the sound worse?

It really depends on the source. Boosting low end with a shelf is seldom a good idea however, unless the sound is artificial and/or controlled and you're sure there's meaningful information there. Down below 40Hz there's seldom anything useful, and most often there's rumble that robs you headroom without contributing much. When it works, it generates wind thru large speakers.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page