You are here

New MacBook Pros

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

New MacBook Pros

Postby johnny h » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:46 pm

Apple have just updated the MacBook Pro.

Headline news is up to 32GB RAM, quad core on the 13" and 6 core on the 15".
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: New MacBook Pros

Postby desmond » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:10 pm

And with keyboard improvements (ie "Yes, we did some work on that keyboard that everyone complained about so you can assume we fixed the problems now but we can't say the previous one was flawed. The one that was so good we have an extended repair program on keyboard problems with it for the next four years...").

Fully optioned up will set you back £6k+... :shock:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:09 am

But how much of it can be upgraded by the user? Do we have to spec the ram up front? Or can the user add it after? I seem to remember that Apple had toyed with the former a while back and I was narked at that. You'd think that they'd at least match (if not undercut) the competition in that scenario.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:24 am

Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,072 high quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Postby johnny h » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:03 pm

Dave B wrote:But how much of it can be upgraded by the user? Do we have to spec the ram up front? Or can the user add it after? I seem to remember that Apple had toyed with the former a while back and I was narked at that. You'd think that they'd at least match (if not undercut) the competition in that scenario.
I'm pretty sure the RAM will be soldered in, like it has been for years ..

The CPU upgrade is fantastic but it doesn't look like they've solved the keyboard issue unfortunately.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:06 pm

johnny h wrote:The CPU upgrade is fantastic but it doesn't look like they've solved the keyboard issue unfortunately.

How did you arrive at this conclusion?

As far as I can see, all we know is the keyboard is not exactly the same as the previous one, as it was engineered to be quieter and appears to be so from reports. Whether or not the failure modes have been fixed likely only time will tell.

Note - I'm not really a fan of the low travel keys when I tried them - perhaps I'd get used to them...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:38 pm

johnny h wrote:The CPU upgrade is fantastic but it doesn't look like they've solved the keyboard issue unfortunately.

Apparently, iFixit's teardown of the new keyboard reveals there is a new rubber sheath covering the mechanism that while Apple claim is engineered for reducing the key volume (remember, they are facing legal issues with the old keyboard so they have to be careful what thy admit) but it sure seems like it's been engineered to try to keep the dust out - which was the cause of the failures...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:56 am

I think Johnny was misled (as was I) by early descriptions on some sites that made it sound very much as if the issue had been ignored, probably due (as you suggest) to Apple's careful wording.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.