You are here

Logic Pro X 10.4.2 released

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Logic Pro X 10.4.2 released

Postby desmond » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:09 pm

What’s New in Logic Pro X 10.4.2

The Sound Library can be relocated to an external storage device
Smart Tempo can analyze tempo data across multi-track recordings to define the Project Tempo
Imported multi-track stems can follow or define Project Tempo
Smart Tempo now analyzes the tempo of MIDI performances recorded without a metronome
Alchemy provides drag and drop hot zones that let you select re-synthesis and sampling options while importing audio
Alchemy allows numerical editing of parameter values
Dragging one automation point over another now aligns them vertically
New mixer mode allows channel strip fader and pan controls to be used to set send level and pan
Automatic Slurs can be applied to selected notes in the Score Editor
Add a photo to track or project notes to help remember key session details or studio hardware settings
This update also contains numerous stability and performance improvements

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203718
desmond
Jedi Poster

Re: Logic Pro X 10.4.2 released

Postby JohnHop » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:16 am

Hmmm spinning beachball of death when I open musical typing even in a new Project.
JohnHop
Poster
http://soundcloud.com/johnhopkins 

Postby Guido3 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:30 am

I hope the ability to move sound libraries to external drives works and is easy to do. This will be huge for me!!! :bouncy:
Guido3
Regular
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Postby redlester » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:17 am

For a clean first-time install, will it be possible to choose the location of the sound libraries at time of install, instead of having to install then re-locate them?

I'm an Ableton user but now that am beginning to dabble in orchestral sound libraries am thinking of trying Logic as well. Horses for courses and all that.
redlester
Regular

Postby Chromeman » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:58 am

I've just moved my whole library to another internal HD to free up space on the program drive and it worked flawlessly and was very quick as well although to be fair that's partly down to the throughput of the internal bus. :D
Chromeman
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:08 pm

The pace of continuing development in Logic X gives me a comfortable feeling about the way it must be viewed within Apple and its long term future. (For a contrary example look at Sibelius).

CC

PS 10.4.2 is still compatible with Sierra.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
For more information please re-read.

Postby IAA » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:18 pm

I've just moved my whole library to another internal HD to free up space on the program drive and it worked flawlessly

Me too - very slick.

Great to have 60+GB back for stuff I'll use a lot more on my SSD!

Ian
IAA
Regular

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:34 pm

"This update also contains numerous stability and performance improvements"

If I was a negative kinda guy I would say - oh great, new bug work-arounds to learn. But Logic is still my DAW of choice in spite of the tradition of 2 steps forward and 1 step backwards. Looking forward to checking out what the programmers have added.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby redlester » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:56 pm

redlester wrote:For a clean first-time install, will it be possible to choose the location of the sound libraries at time of install, instead of having to install then re-locate them?

To answer my own question (having now installed Logic from scratch just last night) you can’t decide during install, there is no option given. You have to do the install then move the folders.

If short of system drive space I suppose the answer is to do a minimum install to begin with, move the folders, and only then download the rest.
redlester
Regular

Postby MarkOne » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:49 pm

Also. Almost slipping under the radar. Finally a 3.4 release forMainstage. Finally bringing Studio horns, Studio Strings, Mellotron, Chromaverb, etc to MainStage. Whoopie!
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby redlester » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:12 pm

MarkOne wrote:Also. Almost slipping under the radar. Finally a 3.4 release forMainstage.

Am intrigued by the Logic article in this month's SOS, about creating polyphonic sampled versions of monosynths using Mainstage. As a Subsequent 37 owner this sounds exciting! It's a pity nonsense things like work get in the way and eat up most of my time...
redlester
Regular

Postby BobTheDog » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:00 am

Anyone tried the new melodyne integration yet?

I’m away and haven’t had a chance.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:09 am

I checked the other day and Celemony still hadn't produced the Melodyne update with ARA 2. So unless things have changed in the last few days nobody's yet tried it.

This was the update that was supposed to be out in the Spring ...

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:22 am

Sorry, take it back. I've just been offered the 4.2 update with ARA 2.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

However as I'm off tomorrow on the long trek to Sheffield I'm not going to have time to try it out.

:( :( :(

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:16 am

Tomorrow is Thursday, show is Saturday ... when you say "long treck" ...? :headbang: :bouncy:

Yes, according to an email shot last night, it seems that Melodyne 4.2 and Logic 10.4.2 should be better integrated - which is handy as the new flexible time beat matching thingy just keeps driving me crackers. I need to build a good crib sheet for working with that..

I'll probably try soon.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:33 am

Just had a quick play anyway. First reaction, pretty cool. Because I plunged straight in without reading anything first I hit a couple of gotchas which puzzled me for a few minutes before I gave up and looked at the website.

There's two plugins now, Melodyne and Melodyne(ARA). The former is the old style plugin, for backwards compatibility. The latter has to be put in the first insert slot, it's not offered as an available plugin otherwise and you can only see the old-style plugin - that was the first gotcha.

Transfer/update is linked to Logic's Play button. When you press that the transfer to the plugin takes place. It only takes a few seconds to transfer the whole track and there's a progress clock displayed but if you stop Playing before the transfer is complete then Melodyne displays only the part completed transfer, gets its knickers in a twist and I couldn't find a way of getting it to complete the transfer short of quitting the project without saving and starting again. That was the second gotcha.

Otherwise it all looks pretty swish and elegant. I'm sure there'll be more gotchas to find next week but right now it's looking well worth the wait.

CC

PS

Dave B wrote:Tomorrow is Thursday, show is Saturday ... when you say "long treck" ...? :headbang: :bouncy: .

Getting to Sheffield on Friday so I can join the Dr Who queue early on Saturday. Leaving on Thursday to break the journey at a pub with a good music session.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:40 pm

So... it's finally time to upgrade to Sierra for me.

Logic has been Sierra only since 10.4.0, I already have some regular apps/utils that I'm stuck on older versions as newer versions are Sierra+ only, and the next version of BBEdit is Sierra only. This will be the last OS for this machine.

I was always a bit reticent about upgrading as my situation is a bit complex for various reasons (not to mention I have a bunch of boot and driver hacks to workaround a dead GPU). And I will lose Keymap Pro, so I've already made an El Capitan VM to run that, alongside my various SnowLeopard, Win7 and Atari ST VMs/emulations for older stuffs.

So fingers crossed..! :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:35 pm

Best of luck! :)

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:04 pm

just curious -
What Atari progs are you running? Music ones?
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:12 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:What Atari progs are you running? Music ones?

I have basically my complete old Atari system in virtual form... it's really handy to access old files or programs, plus nostalgia reasons. It's quite interesting to have a colour, large-screen multitasking Atari ST system that runs many times faster than the hardware ever did. Plus there's a lot of old abandoned software that's available, or has been released into the PD by developers, which can be fin to play with.

I did everything on my old Atari system - music, DTP/graphics, development and still have a lot of love for those times, and it's fun going back there (temporarily!)...

But it's not something I'm really using practically these days...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Next