You are here

Mounting an Akai (S1000) format

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Mounting an Akai (S1000) format

Postby baward » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:20 pm

Is there anyway to do this on a standard Mac these days? I am sure that I have done this previously (although probably quite a few years ago!), reading the disc into Logic (which I no longer use FWIW).

The disc was designed for the Korg Trinity and dates from 1997, so basically Neaderthal vintage.

Thanks.
baward
Regular

Re: Mounting an Akai (S1000) format

Postby desmond » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:21 pm

No, the disk format is proprietary - OSX won’t read it.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby baward » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:45 am

Thank you.
baward
Regular

Postby MOF » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:01 am

I seem to remember “Importing” Akai floppy disks into Logic’s EXS sampler.
I don’t understand the reference to Korg though. Is it a Korg or S1000 disk?
MOF
Regular

Postby baward » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:23 am

In the booklet, it says: "This 300Mb CD ROM/Disk package is an advanced sound expansion for the Korg Trinity DRS with flash ROM expansion and SCSI interface. The CD ROM is also compatible with all S1000 format samplers".

Yes, I now remember being able to import samples directly into EXS. FYI the CDs are 2 Korg Universe sample cd-rom's from Back In Time Records.
baward
Regular

Postby desmond » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:26 am

MOF wrote:I seem to remember “Importing” Akai floppy disks into Logic’s EXS sampler.

Yes, in Logic 4/5 days, the EXS could read Akai format disk images directly (I converted a good many of them).

However, for whatever reason, Akai conversion is no longer in the current versions of Logic (LPX) - the current EXS documentation only lists Gigasampler, DLS and Soundfont's as importable formats. I had a quick look through old manuals and Akai conversion was still available through to Logic Pro 9.

So you can still probably get them into EXS instruments if you have access to older versions of Logic, which can then be used in the current version.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby baward » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:14 pm

If somebody can extract the raw samples and can make me a copy to DVD/BD, they'd be more than welcome to make themselves a copy of the original...
baward
Regular

Postby desmond » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:46 pm

baward wrote:If somebody can extract the raw samples and can make me a copy to DVD/BD, they'd be more than welcome to make themselves a copy of the original...

If you can image the disk, and upload it somewhere private, I'll have a look and see if I can convert it for you.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby baward » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:33 pm

Thanks for your offer; alas I can't even mount the disc(s). Any ideas? :-)
baward
Regular

Postby desmond » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:39 pm

baward wrote:Thanks for your offer; alas I can't even mount the disc(s). Any ideas? :-)

I haven't needed to do it for such a long time, I'm not sure what current tools will let you do this. There are a variety of tools that will let you image non-standard disk formats, I'm pretty sure I used Toast for this at some point, and I certainly used PC software back in the day (Easy CD Creator and Nero comes to mind).

I think I might still have some Akai format disks knocking around somewhere, I'll have a look in a day or two to see if I can still do this and find software that will image them... it might even be possible with Disk Utility.

If you're comfortable in the terminal, try this:
http://bytenoise.co.uk/How_to_import_Akai_S1000_CDs_into_Kontakt_and_Ableton_Live
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby baward » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:10 pm

Your comments are much appreciated, thank you!

Ben
baward
Regular

Postby baward » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:05 pm

I realised earlier on that I have an old copy of Toast Titanium that still works (just); I just have to crack the problem of mounting the disc.

Somehow, somehow... :)
baward
Regular

Postby desmond » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:12 pm

baward wrote:I realised earlier on that I have an old copy of Toast Titanium that still works (just); I just have to crack the problem of mounting the disc.

Did you try the instructions I posted above?

You won't be able to mount the disk - it is not a disk format that OSX understands and can mount.
But you should still be able to make an image file from it.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Chevytraveller » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:06 pm

I might be able to help on this.. I have an Emu E-Synth which reads Akai discs and saves as Wavs(I think)
The only problem is I am currently breaking down and selling off my studio... :headbang:

Where are you based?... :bouncy:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster
Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, FabFilter.
Hard: Mostly now all for sale.. but Akai MPC Live, Tasty Chips Gr-1, Roland Promars, AS Telemark,  Eurocrack disease

Postby baward » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:40 pm

I haven't yet had the chance to check out that page, as in the meantime I found this: https://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=136297

As it is, I'm part the way there with this method. Amazingly, I was able to recognise the errant disk, and I created a new Disk Image as instructed. But I have as yet been unable to progress as I am told that there are no mountable file systems (there is definitely something on the disk image). I expect its relatively straightforward to make the disk image mountable when I make it.

In the other meantime, I will have a good resad of the page you highlighted. Thanks again.
baward
Regular

Postby desmond » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:21 pm

baward wrote:Amazingly, I was able to recognise the errant disk, and I created a new Disk Image as instructed.

Great! Zip it up and upload it somewhere and I’ll take a look, if you want help getting at the contents.

baward wrote:But I have as yet been unable to progress as I am told that there are no mountable file systems (there is definitely something on the disk image). I expect its relatively straightforward to make the disk image mountable

As I said a few times, you cannot mount an Akai format disk. OSX does not know what it is (that's what "no mountable file systems" means). No point trying to mount it, this is not possible. You need to use software that knows what an Akai format disk is, and how to read it, ie Kontakt, the EXS24 in earlier versions of Logic, or various conversion tools...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby cyrano.mac » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:22 pm

Translator (Mac, Windows, $149.95), from Chicken Systems can mount these, I believe:

http://www.chickensys.com/products2/translator/

I've never done it myself, tho...

There are several others, like AKAItools, for Linux. It can also be read by dd, if you're not afraid of the OSX Terminal:

http://bytenoise.co.uk/How_to_import_Ak ... leton_Live

Not sure if this still works with Mojave, tho. Root/sudo might be missing...

Info about the file/disk format can be found here:

http://mda.smartelectronix.com/akai/akaiinfo.htm#1
cyrano.mac
Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:22 pm

cyrano.mac wrote:Translator (Mac, Windows, $149.95), from Chicken Systems can mount these, I believe

Just to be clear on terminology - "mounting" is getting the OS to mount the disk so it can be read and written to by the OS. This only works on disk formats the OS understands, it doesn't work with proprietary disk formats.

Software that understands the disk format can read the disk (or disk image) even if the OS cannot mount it - this is how Kontakt, Logic and other conversion software works - they know how to read the disk format, so they extract the data directly and convert it into regular files that can be saved on regular OS-format drives.

In some cases, some tools *can* mount non-standard disk formats to the OS. They act as an intermediary - they can read and understand the proprietry format disk, and present it to the OS as a regular OS-format disk, which the OS can work with.

In any case, once you have an Akai disk, or disk image, the next phase is to import the data from it, whichever tool you use. As the OP doesn't seem to have a way of importing the data, I was offering to help - hence stage one of getting the disc into a disk image that can be uploaded... but if the OP wants to investigate his own way of reading the data, he should have plenty of info to get that done now... :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby baward » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:51 pm

Thanks. I will bung it up somewhere later this evening and send you a link.
baward
Regular

Postby baward » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:42 pm

I finally got an opportunity to do what the ByteNoise web page outlines. It has allowed me to create a 537Mb .iso file of the disc content (yay!) but I can't seem to progress as I don't have the full Kontakt 5 and Kontakt 5 Player won't play ball.

I have Ableton Live Lite, but there seems to be a bug in that even though I have authorised my computer to use it, attempting to drag and drop the .iso file onto Ableton keeps on telling me that I need to authorise my computer, and so on round and round...

I am a Studio One user; is it possible to use my .iso file with that? Dragging and dropping onto the Browser doesn't work.
baward
Regular

Next