You are here

Macbook Pro how to send ALL audio output to USB interface?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Macbook Pro how to send ALL audio output to USB interface?

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:44 pm

Currently my Logic X outputs to my Focusrite interface via USB but all other audio goes via the headphone out. How do I send ALL audio ie from ITunes, browsers etc to the interface?

When I open Sounds preferences only the headphone port and my monitor show as available output. (The interface doesn't show as an input option either here.)
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: Macbook Pro how to send ALL audio output to USB interface?

Postby Kwackman » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:56 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:When I open Sounds preferences only the headphone port and my monitor show as available output.)

I've just looked on my Mac (10.13.6) and my interface (not a Focusrite) shows up on the input, output and "Sound Effects" options.
Maybe worth reloading the Focusrite usb driver, if that's possible?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:05 pm

Remarkably, immediately after posting this I found a thread that sorted it. You switch off your interface while it's connected and then switch it back on again. It then miraculously appears in the Sound output window. WTF??? https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2240556
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby desmond » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:32 pm

Any of my Mac interfaces have always shown up as the normal system audio prefs in/out options, for as long as I can remember owning a Mac... That's how the Core Audio system works - any sound devices the system knows about will be available as appropriate options in any dialog that lets you choose an audio device...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby cyrano.mac » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:04 pm

Some interfaces support "Direct DAW control" with some DAWs. I know Logic supports it, but not if the Focusrite does.

It allows you to set gain from within the DAW. At the same time, the interface might not show up in System preferences/Sound. It's exclusive to the DAW.
cyrano.mac
Regular

Postby desmond » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:38 pm

cyrano.mac wrote:Some interfaces support "Direct DAW control" with some DAWs. I know Logic supports it, but not if the Focusrite does.

It allows you to set gain from within the DAW. At the same time, the interface might not show up in System preferences/Sound. It's exclusive to the DAW.

No, it would still need to be a Core Audio interface to work in Logic, regardless of whether it's driver supports those direct access features. That's just how general audio interfaces work on the Mac.

Likely it was a refresh issue or some weird user thing that meant the core audio list wasn't being refreshed properly (and turning the interface off/on just forced this), some weird glitch like that.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:57 pm

Reviving an old thread but might be useful. Had another 'interface shows on audio midi set up but no ins and outs showing' issue today. Baffling all round. Checked USB connections and obvious things. Turns out somehow the ADAT optical link from my Behringer breakout box had popped out so my Focusrite interface wasn't receiving any clock and clearly didn't like this for whatever reason. I'm surprised it didn't default to its internal clock tbh, but it didn't and clearly this threw the whole interface setup into confusion.

Anyway, this might be useful to somebody at some point!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)