You are here

With Big Sur coming soon.

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

With Big Sur coming soon.

Postby zenguitar » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:15 pm

On both my machines I've switched off automatic updates.

I have no plans to be an unwilling early adopter.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Re: With Big Sur coming soon.

Postby desmond » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:21 pm

Yes, it's *way* too early for anything other than early adopters, bleeding edgers, and non-demanding consumers to go there...

But prepare for another 6 months of "I upgraded to Big Sur, and now all my stuff doesn't work", and "No I didn't make backups of my old system I can revert to in case something didn't work out - how can I fix this?"
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:57 pm

UAD has put out a notice to users recommending they disable automatic upgrades to avoid the new OS for the time being, too!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby desmond » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:01 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:UAD has put out a notice to users recommending they disable automatic upgrades to avoid the new OS for the time being, too!

it's a long list - GForce, Softube, Native Instruments - I'm getting emails by the day - basicaly if you use *any* third-party software, don't jump until you verify compatibility - which may take a little while.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby zenguitar » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:15 pm

It was receiving emails from software and hardware manufacturers that made me act and post here.

desmond wrote:But prepare for another 6 months of "I upgraded to Big Sur, and now all my stuff doesn't work", and "No I didn't make backups of my old system I can revert to in case something didn't work out - how can I fix this?"

At least we can point them at this topic and say...

You were warned

zenguitar

Postby bennettsobel » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:36 pm

Big Sur?! Some of the software I have still hasn't worked out bugs with Catalina! :lolno: :crazy:
bennettsobel

Postby Murray B » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:41 pm

Thanks for the heads up - would have passed me by and then it might have been too late

Automatic updates disabled for now
Murray B
Poster

Postby Dave Rowles » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:58 pm

I got a prompt today. luckily I don't have automatic updates turned on as my default position!
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:39 pm

Dave Rowles wrote:I got a prompt today. luckily I don't have automatic updates turned on as my default position!

Likewise...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby zenguitar » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:15 am

And on my iMac it appears as an available update already. Very glad I acted quickly.

zenguitar

Postby resistorman » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:45 am

zenguitar wrote:And on my iMac it appears as an available update already. Very glad I acted quickly.

Whew! Close...
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan LB » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:16 am

I tend to stay at least 2 versions behind the current OS and I really only update if I need to.

I was only running Mavericks for a long time (up until late last year) but I wanted to install some software that required High Sierra or later (Elektron Overbridge) so I whacked another SSD into my Mac Mini and made it dual boot. My old SSD runs Mavericks, which I use for Pro Tools 10, and my new SSD runs Mojave where I have Overbridge and the current version of Logic installed. My Mac now performs all of the tasks I need it to so I don’t need to update my OS for now. If I do, I’ll update Mojave as long as the software I actually need is compatible - if it’s not then I won’t.

A friend of mine runs a studio and his Mac G5 running PTHD is on Snow Leopard! The system works flawlessly still, so why mess it up by updating the OS.

Some of the Calrec consoles I use in work are running their control software on Windows 98! :lol: And the DiGiCo SD5 console (purchased new last year) that I mainly use, runs on Windows XP! :lol:

EDIT: Just saw desmond’s post about Logic 10.6 so I’m no longer running the latest version. Catalina and later. Hmmmmm I guess I’ll weigh up the pros and cons again :headbang:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:24 am

The names they think up for these things, makes me laugh, I’m ruining "Ponders End" on my machine at the moment.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ore_terra » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:52 am

automatic updates are ALWAYS off in my machines :headbang:
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Luke W » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:01 am

Updates off for me as well, but even then just the sight of "Update Available" makes me nervous! I'm a good few versions behind now as everything works nicely!
Luke W
Regular
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Next