You are here

Upgrading to Windows 7

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Upgrading to Windows 7

Postby Russell Burke » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:03 am

I am finally upgrading my system to windows 7 and I was wondering if anyone can tell me of any problems they have had installing and using cubase 4 (I'm upgrading that at the end of the month)and wavelab 6. Do I have to run them from XP mode or do they install and run normally?
Also is there any problem with the USB key.
I would appreciate knowing of any little things before I start. I am installing everything on a new hard disk (the old one has a problem or 2).

Thanks in advance
Russell Burke
Poster

Re: Upgrading to Windows 7

Postby crofter » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:19 am

Cubase will be fine but you must have the latest update for Wavelab 6 to run it on Win 7.
crofter
Regular

Postby Russell Burke » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:20 pm

Thank you I hadn't heard of any problems but you never know
Russell Burke
Poster

Postby TSH-Tim » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:55 pm

oook that sort of makes sense - i think i need to spend an hour or so on google to find out a little more.... but thank you for taking your time to answer :)
TSH-Tim
Frequent Poster

Postby oggyb » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:21 pm

The above assumes you meant the 64 bit version of CUBASE not WINDOWS.

Whatever plugins you use, be sure to install the 64 bit version of WINDOWS, then think about which version of CUBASE you need.

32 bit applications work fine in 64 bit Windows, they just don't see all the RAM.
oggyb
Frequent Poster
Composer;
http://www.ogonline.org

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:34 pm

oggyb wrote:The above assumes you meant the 64 bit version of CUBASE not WINDOWS.

Whatever plugins you use, be sure to install the 64 bit version of WINDOWS, then think about which version of CUBASE you need.

32 bit applications work fine in 64 bit Windows, they just don't see all the RAM.

I believe there are still issues reported with a few 32-bit plugins under W7-64 even with 32-bit Cubase. But I agree with you 95%. It's just a pity if that 5% includes your favourite plugin!
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.