You are here

Steinberg Library Manager

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Steinberg Library Manager

Postby OneWorld » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:17 pm

I have just availed myself of Steinberg's Summer Sale and upgraded to Halion 6 for £42.00 :-)

So I wanted to put the content on my data drive instead of the usual c:\user\ProgramData............Steinberg\VST where all the Steinberg content lives (and fills up the c:drive!)

So I used Steinberg Library Manager, and thought before I go ahead installing Halion 6, I would move all my Steinberg content to my data drive and I started with the Groove Agent 4 content, I started SLM and it all seemed so easy, each library listed with several buttons - Move/Remove/Details great, I selected the said library and selected to move it, sure enough the folder I created was populated.

But more than half the content has remained in the c:\user\ProgramData............Steinberg\VST folder and the rest has been moved to the destination I opted for.

Does anyone know what's going on? Could I manually move the content left on c:\.....VST to the preferred location?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Steinberg Library Manager

Postby Pest » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:11 am

Yes, you can easily move the items that the Library Manager may have missed. Just create the relevant folder(s) on your data drive, then copy all the original large files over from C: to each new folder. If you dont have a UPS it's safer to copy/paste then delete the originals rather than cut/paste.
Then to point each VSTi to where the sample files are now located; just go to each new folder - use Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C - then return to each original folder location (which is now empty) and Right Click: paste Shortcut.
Works perfectly well for all my Steinberg Libraries. I'm in the middle of installing everything on my new DAW; got SO much to do. Not even got Cubase on yet. It's the first time I've reinstalled to an empty drive in years, its going to take me ages, but it will be worth it.
Pest
Pest
Poster
Imagine what you will know tomorrow...

Re: Steinberg Library Manager

Postby OneWorld » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:12 am

I have decided to do it without Library Manager, it seems more trouble than it's worth. It reported duplicates, so I used LM to delete the duplicates, which it did, it removed the lot! Luckily I had made backups anyway.

So I too am doing the job manually, but I feel the Steinberg setup is a bit of a mess, especially the Halion and Groove Agent libraries .

I cannot understand why Halion and GA have libraries in both the c:/Users/<the user>/AppData/Roaming/Steinberg/Content/Groove Agent|HALion|VST Sound/ folders and also the c:/ProgramData/Steinberg/Content/Groove Agent|HALion|VST Sound folders, it doesn't make sense, why is content spread over 2 locations

I can only assume that a product family, for example Halion6, Halion Sonic, Halion SonicSE all share some content and some content is specific to a single product, eg Halion6 will have more content than its underlings. So the difficulty is how do I replicate that structure on my data drive.

I guess I simply copy across the whole structure folder from c: to d:<data> but shorten the file path eg d:/Libraries/Roaming/Steinberg/Content/Groove Agent|HALion|VST Sound/ and d:/Libraries/Steinberg/Content/Groove but I have read on the internet things can get messy when doing updates as the Steinberg installer can't deal with stuff be register in other than the default locations, though again I guiess that's just a copy and paste issue, and then register the new content in its new location

I too feel I would benefit from reinstalling everything to a freshly formatted drive, the thought of taking my original WIn10 ISO to the latest update and all the trouble updates caused is not something I relish, nor is re-installing NI Komplete :-(
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)