You are here

Windows clean install after major system upgrade

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Windows clean install after major system upgrade

Postby hardminder » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:33 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm planning on upgrading my system quite dramaticaly very soon. I'll go from a 7 years old stock gateway system to this:

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core, 12-thread
MOBO : ASUS Prime X470-Pro AMD Ryzen 2
Samples/librairies : Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD
OS + Program Files : 860 Evo 500 Go Intrnal SSD, 2,5 inch
RAM : Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4

i didn't plan on doing a clean install of windows but someone strongly suggested I do.

I have to be honest, it terrifies me do have to do that. Having to reinstall my DAW, all my VSTs and plugins and licences. All the other programs? Is that what it means? What are the chances I'll be able to get everything up and running the way it used to ?

I'm not an expert at this, far from it. I have to admit, it's my first time doing something like that. How do I prepare for this? Is there an easy way to just tranfer my stuff in the new OS? All my programs, plugins, licences, settings, registries etc.

I have a lot of stuff going on on my computer (as we propably all do) and I can't afford to spend dozens of hours trying to resolve problems the clean install caused and frankly I don't have the patience for it. Setting everything once and getting everything to run smoothly was enough work.

Could you guys five me any hints, clear steps to follow, advices.

Thank you very much.
hardminder
Poster

Re: Windows clean install after major system upgrade

Postby hardminder » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:41 pm

Oh yeah, I'm on windows 7 and I'm not planning on going to 10.
hardminder
Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:49 pm

Well, it's a job. If you change the hardware however it's like having a new pc so there's not getting around it.. you could change the hardware and keep the current disk, upgrade to W10 and most likely everything should work fine, but it'd likely need a new W7 license. You could hear with Microsoft what they think - dont think they sell any W7 licenses anymore - or maybe you can find some OEM license on the cheap.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby ef37a » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:00 pm

Hardminder, do you have a W7 disc with a license code?

If so I don't see a problem. If you just have an install disc you could just try the code from your old machine it might work, did for me.

Otherwise I see Amazon are still selling W7 DVDs and "full" disc runs around £55 to £79.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:45 am

hardminder wrote:
I have a lot of stuff going on on my computer (as we propably all do) and I can't afford to spend dozens of hours trying to resolve problems the clean install caused and frankly I don't have the patience for it. Setting everything once and getting everything to run smoothly was enough work.

The thing is, a clean install is likely to save you more than dozens of hours trying to resolve problems caused by NOT doing so. Talking possible hundreds, not dozens . . . and it's entirely likely it would never run quite right.

As the guys asked, do you have a retail copy of Windows 7 - or did the OS come pre-installed on the Gateway?
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Agharta » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 am

You might well have authorisation/license issues if you can shift the current install to the new machine so do research on this first.
You'd probably want to de-authorise certain things prior to the move.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:01 am

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:The thing is, a clean install is likely to save you more than dozens of hours trying to resolve problems caused by NOT doing so. Talking possible hundreds, not dozens . . . and it's entirely likely it would never run quite right.

After upgrading my machine from Win7 last year (or was it the year before?) I have spent exactly zero hours resolving problems. And so have many others.

There are no guarantees in life, but that likelihood you mention may be a little miscalculated. :-) Considering what it has to cope with, the upgrade software was (is) incredibly robust.

Worth spending a few minute ensuring the system configuration is in good condition (especially the registry).

That said, once you updated Window it will likely need a little catch up time to the latest patches - but since that's a fairly automated process, the time can be spent in more pleasant ways than reinstalling stuff by hand.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Agharta » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:08 am

I'd recommend a clean install and take your time in transferring the licences across.
There's no rush so maybe start with your major licences when you have a free day then the rest you can move at a later date.

OEM licences are tied to the OEM hardware so if you move it to a home build you are unlicensed in effect regardless of whether you can get it to work.
You can usually use the serial number on the Windows 7 license sticker to activate on a new machine provided nobody else has as it's not tied to the OEM PC.
It's there for emergencies but used in that way you won't be licensed.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:26 am

CS70 wrote:
After upgrading my machine from Win7 last year (or was it the year before?) I have spent exactly zero hours resolving problems. And so have many others.

There are no guarantees in life, but that likelihood you mention may be a little miscalculated. :-) Considering what it has to cope with, the upgrade software was (is) incredibly robust.

Worth spending a few minute ensuring the system configuration is in good condition (especially the registry).

That said, once you updated Window it will likely need a little catch up time to the latest patches - but since that's a fairly automated process, the time can be spent in more pleasant ways than reinstalling stuff by hand.

Do you mean you performed an Upgrade-In-Place of Win 7 to Win 10?

That''s not what the OP means to do - OP wants to replace motherboard and CPU and system drive and drop the existing Win 7 install on top of the new hardware. Now, it's feasible this won't cause any problems, Windows is qute robust - but a fresh install obviates the potential for lots of silliness.

Agartha gives good advice here re: de-authorising licences on the old install, and re: the Windows OEM license.

I'd urge the OP to revisit the original thread for further good advice from Agartha re: the platform and BIOS / UEFI before ordering the parts.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby hardminder » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:03 am

Agharta wrote:You might well have authorisation/license issues if you can shift the current install to the new machine so do research on this first.
You'd probably want to de-authorise certain things prior to the move.

How would I do that?
hardminder
Poster

Postby hardminder » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:17 am

Yes my Windiws license is OEM. I'll right more tomorrow.
hardminder
Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:34 am

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:
That''s not what the OP means to do - OP wants to replace motherboard and CPU and system drive and drop the existing Win 7 install on top of the new hardware. Now, it's feasible this won't cause any problems, Windows is qute robust - but a fresh install obviates the potential for lots of silliness.

Yes, that is what I had suggested above: first upgrade the hardware leaving W7. Then upgrade W7 to W10. Two separate steps - each independent on each other. If one wants to go the hardware upgrade route, it's the least painful way.

The main issue with the first step is not so much the likelihood of hardware problems, but licensing, as Windows typically interprets any major hardware change as needing a new license key.

Obviously one has to know how to proceed (copy drivers before changing the hardware, after doing so restart W7 in safe mode and add the drivers etc).

The key to the second step is a clean OS.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:29 am

CS70, OP wants to stay with Win 7.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:58 pm

Well then, one step only.

If things dont go well, he can always wipe the system and reinstall from scratch.

There's a good change they will and then he saves hours of reinstalling - DLLs and executable will be there and configured and the OS just needs need drivers to talk with the hardware. It's the whole point of having a virtualization layer between the OS and the hardware. W7 is not MS DOS.

And - pending that I no longer remember MS policies with W7 - he may need a new license anyways as changing the motherboard is basically a new pc.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:12 am

Yeah, I know what a HAL is, and it's not a "virtualisation layer".

I stand by my original recommendation of a clean install, as it'll be a much more straightforward sequence of events to follow for the OP.

I do know how to get the W7 license validated as would most techs, but Google can be of help.

hardminder - as to de-authorising software, that will depend on the software - there's no single answer to cover it all. For stuff just authed with a serial # you'll be fine to just reinstall again provided you have the serial. Other stuff you might have to contact the vendor, some might be tied to the hardware-config and simply uninstalling it using the uninstaller from the vendor does the trick. I'd check with the vendor if I were you.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby resistorman » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:46 am

Will Win 7 run well on Ryzen? Vendors don’t care at all about Win 7 since it’s at end of life. Nobody will be writing new drivers. And AMD is competing for the future.

I can’t imagine dropping a 7 year old very proprietary Dell/ Intel image onto a completely new AMD platform running an obsolete operating system without problems. My Ryzen 2nd gen motherboard has gone through 5 bios updates... it’s just starting to shake down.

I understand your reluctance to go through all the hoops... copy protection is horrible and arcane, much like the American medical “system”. I’m getting ready to retire my Haswell production machine and move to my experimental Ryzen, which I feel is just about ready for audio work. It’s gonna be a huge PITA. But the old machine is wheezing and my Komplete is incomplete... doesn’t even work. If I’m going to go through massive reinstalls, might as well do it on shiny newish hardware.

If you want to keep things as they are, why change in the first place? If you are comfortable, stay put. If you need to move on, jump in and let go of the past,
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:18 am

resistorman wrote:Will Win 7 run well on Ryzen? Vendors don’t care at all about Win 7 since it’s at end of life. Nobody will be writing new drivers. And AMD is competing for the future.

I can’t imagine dropping a 7 year old very proprietary Dell/ Intel image onto a completely new AMD platform running an obsolete operating system without problems. My Ryzen 2nd gen motherboard has gone through 5 bios updates... it’s just starting to shake down.

I understand your reluctance to go through all the hoops... copy protection is horrible and arcane, much like the American medical “system”. I’m getting ready to retire my Haswell production machine and move to my experimental Ryzen, which I feel is just about ready for audio work. It’s gonna be a huge PITA. But the old machine is wheezing and my Komplete is incomplete... doesn’t even work. If I’m going to go through massive reinstalls, might as well do it on shiny newish hardware.

If you want to keep things as they are, why change in the first place? If you are comfortable, stay put. If you need to move on, jump in and let go of the past,

Probably the best advice so far AFAICT?

Start the new machine afresh with W10 and keep the old one as is.
Much as I dislike W10 it is the latest OS and hardware and DAWs etc will be catering for it. This HP laptop (g6, i3, 8G ram) will stay W7 but offline at some point. A bigger AMD desktop will also keep W7 and not go on the net. I am looking for a W10 laptop for internet and "office" duties. OP has the opposite problem.

I also have a very basic W7 machine that really just runs a printer/scanner. That will stay W7 and on the net (doesn't go there at all often) as a test rig to see how long it takes to get *****d up!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:47 am

Yeah, I'm also going to be amazed if there is full W7 driver support for any X570 board, most of the tech the range features has only come into existance since support was dropped for W7 & W8 OS builds.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Agharta » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:23 pm

The Asus page only lists W10 for driver support.
I wouldn't put W7 on the latest AMD platform even if you gave me a full retail license.
A fine O/S, in its day. :shock:
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:26 pm

Has it been determined that the OP is going with a 570? There seems to be support for Win 7 64bit for the 470.

Not that I disagree with the advice to go Win 10 - personally I think that would be best, and if the OP has to purchase a new license then absolutely 100% Win 10.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Next