You are here

Laptop for Live Electronic Music

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Laptop for Live Electronic Music

Postby tsoli » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:35 pm

hello humans of soundonsound,

it is finally time to forum for me, the blog has be a long time favorite of mine

I am looking to buy a laptop for production and especially live electronic Music.

And I am looking for your advice.

There is a few questions i have:

first of:
I will be using windows and ableton. what are your experiences playing live on windows? stability?
so far i've been on mac and logic for home production.

for a start ill be using an akai launchpad, midi keyboard and a usb interface.
earlier productions of mine relied heavily on the use of software instruments but i am expecting to use more samples, field recordings (audio rather than digital synth) but not exclusively.

My budget for the pc is around 2300 euro.

https://www.lenovo.com/de/de/laptops/th ... /customize (https://www.lenovo.com/de/de/laptops/th ... /customize)
is the one im looking at. at 2kg not to heavy and with a good casing.

with 32gb RAM and the Intel Core i7-9750H Prozessor
and an
1 TB SSD, M.2 2280, PCIe, NVMe

is the RAM enough? what about the processor?
what are your thoughts, objections, alternatives?

Best tsoli

ps: is amd a valid cpu alternative? any builds you have experience with?
tsoli

Re: Laptop for Live Electronic Music

Postby ef37a » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:07 am

I might have been unlucky with my present experience with Windows 10 but if the poposed laptop is never going on the internet stay with W7?

I have read several times, here and elsewhere that W10 is the best Ms OS to date for handling audio but at the moment my laptop updates and does other girations (including a 'sort of' BSOD) too often to be considered safe for any live performance.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:42 am

Win 10 is absolutely fine for most of us. No need to go installing an obsolete OS, I would say.

The laptop you're looking at should be fine, but actually may be overkill. I would get Scan involved to be sure, and see what they can offer. I play live with budget laptops in the sub-500 quid region and haven't had any problems to speak of - a few wrinkles with software, but nothing attributabe to the laptop or OS.

So I'd suggest maybe go for something a little more modest and use the money for a reliable audio interface, good cables and a quality, solid stand for stage!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby tsoli » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:21 pm

thank you for the reply. i am just now looking into scan.co.uk website. checking their benchmark test ect.

best tsoli
tsoli

Postby ef37a » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:58 pm

Thing is Elf, people keep all sorts of obsolete gear going for all sorts of reasons. Tape machines, synths and even sound cards that will only run on XP 32 bits! Heck I think Ataris are still doing service?

Why should an operating system be any different?

My thinking was that IF OP has a working system at the moment AND it runs on W7 it just might be better to stay with it?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:11 pm

ef37a wrote:Thing is Elf, people keep all sorts of obsolete gear going for all sorts of reasons.
Sure, me included, but I see little value in buying a new laptop to saddle it with an old OS. It will come with W10 installed, so my advice is for the OP to embrace it and move on...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby tsoli » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:08 pm

The Elf wrote: It will come with W10 installed, so my advice is for the OP to embrace it and move on...

looking at the 3xs from scan, which, after finding out about the heat management issues the thinkpad p-series has, seem like the most legit option, i'll probably get a pc without a preinstalled os.
buying a win10 pro key online is <20 euro as compared to the 110gpd scan wants. though i guess they wont be able to run their stress test then.

best Tsoli
tsoli