You are here

Interface Not Working and It's Not the Interface

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Interface Not Working and It's Not the Interface

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:59 pm

Back here again. Sorry!

There is something fundamentally fudged in my computer. I can't figure out what it is and am fishing for ideas.

My computer is more than adequate for running a DAW. In fact, I am able to write in two DAWs, Ableton Live and Mixcraft. I recently purchased a license for the newly released Studio One - v5 and I get no sound. I also cannot record data in it either.

The problem seems to be the audio interface. I have it configured correctly (windows 10) and I can't get sound through my headphones. The proper drivers are selected. How do I know? A Presonus tech spent nearly 45 minutes inside my machine remotely and tried all the suggestions I bet you want to suggest for fixing the problem. Please don't. I need to do some deep diving here into Windows.

HE said it was my Focusrite Scarlett Solo unit that was the issue and I needed to contact them. But then I connected my Tascam 1x2 and had the same problem. ALL my gear is new.

The reason I can work in Ableton Live (Lite) and Mixcraft is because they are accessing my laptop speakers and not working through the interface; that doesn't work in Presonus.

That's why I think I have to delve in deeper into Windows, somewhere that I can't affect a change through the normal settings, like advanced sound settings, or the settings from inside Studio One. There is something in the computer that blocks me from using the interface. Could it be a registry entry? My fear is that is has to do with all these Windows updates. Just recently Windows did an update and it disabled my Cubase e-licenser and after going around in circles with Steinberg, as they don't have a fix for it yet, issued me a refund. Cubase was my first choice. But I'm moving on. Back to Windows updates, after a recent update. all my text shrunk. I researched that and it is far more complicated than changing the display settings. I don't think the Micro$oft people care much for how their OS works with anybody elses software...

My laptop (Acer A717 72G, i7 processor, 16 GB RAM) was just in the shop a month ago and Windows was reinstalled.

Any long shots on this?

Thanks!

Re: Interface Not Working and It's Not the Interface

Postby James Perrett » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:20 pm

What type of driver are you using with Live and Mixcraft (ASIO, WDM etc)?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:42 pm

Hi James. As I stated, the Presonus tech spent nearly 45 minutes in my machine and check ALL of these perimeters. He explored both programs and that would be the very first thing he checked.

Besides - It's STUDIO ONE that I want working. His diagnosis was the problem is the interface. Both are brand new. The headphones work. That I would have two defective interfaces is highly unlikely. He said that because both Ableton Live and Mixcraft were accessing the on board speaker system and not the interface I am able to work with sound in both of those programs.

ALL three programs are not accessing the interface with the proper driver engaged.

Thanks.

Postby innerchord » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:36 pm

Sorry to hear you're having such a lot of trouble.
Is there any way of testing the interfaces on another computer just to confirm that they work?
Depending on your tech skills, you could re-partition your drive and just do a simple fresh second install of Windows, add the interface driver and Studio One (and nothing else) and see if that worked. You can remove it when you're done testing, of course.
innerchord
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:03 pm

GTR_RO wrote:Hi James. As I stated, the Presonus tech spent nearly 45 minutes in my machine and check ALL of these perimeters. He explored both programs and that would be the very first thing he checked.

There's no way we can help you if you won't give us the details. If you want help then please answer the question.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby BJG145 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:17 pm

GTR_RO wrote:The reason I can work in Ableton Live (Lite) and Mixcraft is because they are accessing my laptop speakers and not working through the interface; that doesn't work in Presonus.

So, have you been able to get any sound through the interface, at all...?

(I'd start by trying to get anything playing through it, YouTube or whatever. Once you've established that, you can look at the audio config within the DAW. The first thing I'd try if I couldn't even get basic stuff like YouTube working would be to check that it's showing up in Device Manager then disable all other audio devices. And I never trust anything tech support say.)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:48 pm

So...there is no possibility that Windows is the culprit here?

I do have a second computer and I will hook one up and see if I can hear.

Postby CS70 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:02 pm

From what you say, my money is an trivial user error you are unaware of - to the point that you don't even think of mentioning or are aware of the possibility.

I've had a friend banging their heads for days and when I came to help they had inadvertently set the mute button on the interface routing application. He wasn't even aware the routing application existed.

Coming to Windows: when you use Studio One, you most likely using ASIO drivers (I dare hope) which means you are NOT using Windows at all. It could be Windows 3.1 for what matters (well, no, but that's the thing - ASIO is a subsystem entirely separated from Windows). When using ASIO, the DAW talks directly to the device driver.

A possible esoteric technical explanation (close to impossible in these plug&play days) would be some low-level conflict among drivers, but if you spent so much time with a technician he would have gone thru the lot.

So - if Studio One sees the interface but you are getting no sound - the most likely reason you get no sound is that you are doing something wrong within the DAW, the interface routing application or the interface hardware itself...

Since you tried with two interfaces, my money is on the DAW usage.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby ef37a » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:38 am

The "working through the pc sound card" got my attention. I would try disabling it, in BIOS for preference or Control Panel if not. Then reinstall the ASIO drivers.

Many moons ago, stopping On Board Sound used to be standard advice. Causes little trouble these days but worth a do?

Last ditch solution. Does the PC have a Recovery partition on the 'C' drive? Running that will put you back to 'Factory gate' status but of course remove all new programs.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster