You are here

Stereo simulator

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Stereo simulator

Postby ef37a » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:18 am

Son has decided he would like to try 'stereoising' his mono classical guitar recordings.

Can someone suggest a plug in or stand alone software that he can download? Free would be good but I don't mind springing for something good if fairly cheap, say well under a nifty?

He runs Samplitude Pro X 3 on a Win 10 laptop.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: Stereo simulator

Postby Kwackman » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:08 am

https://polyversemusic.com/products/wider/
It's in your price range too!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby resistorman » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:19 pm

Kwackman wrote:https://polyversemusic.com/products/wider/
It's in your price range too!
:bouncy: That’s a good price indeed... I’ll have to try it out. I bought this on sale for $30 US and have had great luck with it. Plug-in Alliance often has deep sales so it’s worth demoing and keeping an eye out.
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... maker.html
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Kwackman » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:21 pm

ef37a wrote:Son has decided he would like to try 'stereoising' his mono classical guitar recordings. .
As an alternative to the plug-in mentioned above, maybe a stereo reverb would be better? An ambience pre-set maybe?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby blinddrew » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:45 pm

Izotope Ozone Imager: https://www.izotope.com/en/products/fre ... g-ins.html
at a very friendly price... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:14 pm

blinddrew wrote:Izotope Ozone Imager: https://www.izotope.com/en/products/fre ... g-ins.html
at a very friendly price... ;)

Aha! I'm just doing some work on a mono acoustic guitar track that's been lifted from a multitrack as someone wants part of it to use as a sig - all perfectly legal!

I've been trying some subtle reverb to get some width and texture. I'll give this a go methinks!

Good find Drew! :clap: :thumbup:

[Edit: Downloaded... I like it! I like it!]
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:30 pm

Yep, it's a very handy little device. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby adrian_k » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:22 pm

Kwackman wrote:
ef37a wrote:Son has decided he would like to try 'stereoising' his mono classical guitar recordings. .
As an alternative to the plug-in mentioned above, maybe a stereo reverb would be better? An ambience pre-set maybe?

Funny enough I’ve just recorded a guitar in mono for someone and one of Breverb’s presets did exactly that. Quite a nice alternative to normal wideners.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:10 pm

The old-school way, if you're used to working with MS decoders (either plugins or constructed from scratch), is to treat the mono geetar as the Mid signal. A duplicate/split of that can be high-pass filtered (100Hz) and delayed (5-80ms) to create a fake Side signal. Decode to left-right in the usual way, adjusting the M-S balance to create as much stereo width as needed. Then blend with a stereo reverb, heavy on early reflections, to set the geetar into a believable acoustic space.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:29 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:The old-school way, if you're used to working with MS decoders (either plugins or constructed from scratch), is to treat the mono geetar as the Mid signal. A duplicate/split of that can be high-pass filtered (100Hz) and delayed (5-80ms) to create a fake Side signal. Decode to left-right in the usual way, adjusting the M-S balance to create as much stereo width as needed. Then blend with a stereo reverb, heavy on early reflections, to set the geetar into a believable acoustic space.

Thank you Hugh, son has trouble enough with basic recording concepts, no way he will sort that out!

He will be in receipt of a new LDC soon (the Mackie recently reviewed) and so he can use that 'upfront' and the other cheap LDC he has for some room effect and play at blending.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster