You are here

Baby Face Pro FS ok for my needs?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Baby Face Pro FS ok for my needs?

Postby lovesexy » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:37 am

Hi all

I'm a full time library writer and will soon be upgrading my PC. Like many, I'm wondering whether to go Thunderbolt or USB 3. I only need 2 ins and 2 outs but audio quality and low latency are of paramount importance. I'm working on Cubase with a Steniberg UR22 at the moment. I've heard good things about the new RME babyface. Could this be the best choice for my needs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
lovesexy
Regular

Re: Baby Face Pro FS ok for my needs?

Postby Jez Corbett » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:08 pm

I have not one but *two* babyface pros!

They are good, but I should say the performance isn't as good as the Fireface devices (of which I also have a UC) . They can be a bit more finnicky about what your computer is up to compared to the UC, the drivers don't seem to quite have the absolute excellence of the Firefaces.

They are however a very handy device, quality is certainly up to RME standards, although I've done very little recording with them, they are handily portable and can run off the USB power of an unplugged laptop, and having the desktop controls is handy for monitoring, but it would have been nice if they had a Mute rather than just Dim button and better input control.

In conclusion, they aren't perfect, but they are very good.
Jez Corbett
Frequent Poster
http://www.jeremycorbett.co.uk

Postby lovesexy » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:14 pm

Thanks Jez. I forgot to mention that I have no need for a portable interface. I'll have a look at the fireface models. Not sure they have a 2 in 2out model,
lovesexy
Regular

Postby CS70 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:48 pm

lovesexy wrote:Hi all

I'm a full time library writer and will soon be upgrading my PC. Like many, I'm wondering whether to go Thunderbolt or USB 3. I only need 2 ins and 2 outs but audio quality and low latency are of paramount importance. I'm working on Cubase with a Steniberg UR22 at the moment. I've heard good things about the new RME babyface. Could this be the best choice for my needs?

Worth a read about the Babyface

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=22180

Fixed link to work for everyone - JP
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby lovesexy » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:45 pm

CS70 wrote:
lovesexy wrote:Hi all

Worth a read about the Babyface

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph ... 80&login=1

Ah , I can't access the page without logiing in. What is the title of the thread?
lovesexy
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:54 pm

lovesexy wrote:
Ah , I can't access the page without logiing in. What is the title of the thread?

I've edited the original link so that it now works for everyone - not just those logged in to the RME forum.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Ramirez » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:38 pm

Jez Corbett wrote:the drivers don't seem to quite have the absolute excellence of the Firefaces.

They share the same drivers.

I switch between MADIFace Pro, Babyface Pro and a Fireface 802 all the time, and I can’t say I’ve noticed much, if any, difference in operation. They work brilliantly and sound great.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby lovesexy » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:55 pm

James Perrett wrote:
lovesexy wrote:

I've edited the original link so that it now works for everyone - not just those logged in to the RME forum.

Cheers James!
lovesexy
Regular

Postby CS70 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:49 pm

James Perrett wrote:
lovesexy wrote:

Thank you James, forgot I was logged in :)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page