You are here

Cubase question on viewing automation data on VSTi output channels

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Cubase question on viewing automation data on VSTi output channels

Postby Chromeman » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:17 am

I am trying to understand how to view automation on the separate output channels of a VSTi in Cubase. I'm using Groove agent with 5 individual output channels all visible in the mixer. I can record mutes, volume changes etc on the mixer channels but I can't see where these are being displayed. In Logic you can create tracks in the arrange page to view this stuff but I don't think this is possible in Cubase? I'm using Artist 9.5. Any ideas? Thanks.
Chromeman
Regular

Re: Cubase question on viewing automation data on VSTi output channels

Postby The Elf » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:28 pm

I don't use Cubase Artist, so I can't be 100%, but in Cubase Pro you just open up a new lane in the Arrange page by clicking on the down arrow in the grey area at the far left of any Track.

You can set this lane (and any number of subsequent lanes) to show any automatable parameter.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Chromeman » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:22 pm

Thanks, yes I understand about the lanes but I don't see anything automation wise that relates to the output channels in the arrange page. For example I I have a snare on output 2 of GA and I can mute, change volume in the mixer but there is nothing that shows this data in the arrange page, even clicking on the down arrow in the grey box. Maybe it's a limitation of Artist.
Chromeman
Regular

Postby The Elf » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:38 pm

It's working fine here. :?

I just go to the VST Instruments folder on the Arrange page, select a VSTi's output and open up a lane.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Chromeman » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:06 pm

Complete brain fade on my part as I've tried again and it seems to be working today. Duh! Thanks for responding anyway.
Chromeman
Regular