You are here

Network drive problem

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Network drive problem

Postby Phunky » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:20 pm

I've just bought a new router(TP-Link Archer C3150) and for some reason it won't allow access to my network drive(used to be connected to my old router). It's only this drive making trouble. All other drives(HDD and USB-sticks) that I've tested work as expected and can be mapped(Win10).
That being said, other (test)drives also become unresponsive if the old network drive is connected to the C3150(the new router's got 2 USB ports). As if the old network drive interfering somehow.
When I reconnect the drive to my old router, which is now an access-point(TP-Link Archer C1200) it works as expected and can be mapped.
Win10 gives as error that the drive name/letter is in use or something along those lines.
I tried to delete the folder(.media_server) that the router makes with a data base file in it, but that didn't change anything.
Can it have anything to do with the "system volume information" folder that Win10 makes on the drive if it's been connected to a PC?. I tried to delete the folder, but it seems to be quite a hassle(I might give it a shot deleting it using Linux if it's a possible solution).
Or could it be a problem that both routers are from the same brand?.

Cheers, Jesper
Phunky
Regular

Re: Network drive problem

Postby wireman » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:28 pm

I don't understand all the devices you are talking about but it is possible that you have two devices with the same IP address or that something is remembering an IP address for a device.

What are the other test drives that you are talking about.
wireman
Frequent Poster

Postby Phunky » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:01 pm

The drives are HDD's and USB-sticks(flash drives). I just tried a few drives to make sure that the USB port work as supposed to and that the drives can be mapped(Win10). It works as expected. It's only one drive acting up. And that drive works as normal when reconnected to the old router(which is now an access point).
Phunky
Regular

Postby wireman » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:41 am

I misunderstood what you meant by network drive so my reply was not relevant.
wireman
Frequent Poster