You are here

Looking for a Delay Pedal . Advice welcome!

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Looking for a Delay Pedal . Advice welcome!

Postby annfras » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:37 pm

Hi guys and girls,

I am looking for a delay pedal. Needs to have a really warm sound and be able to oscillates.
I am hesitating between the Electro-Harmonix Deluxe or the newer version Stereoman with Hazarai.
Is there anything else better?

Thanks!
annfras

Re: Looking for a Delay Pedal . Advice welcome!

Postby Microwave » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:03 pm

I have both of those and love them. The Mman is true analogue but the hazarai sounds just about as good and warm when you use the high cut filter and is very versatile plus more compact. If you're not interested in the extra goodies it offers (excellent reverse delay, loop sampler, stereo ping pong, filtering) go for the Mman, otherwise the hazarai is hard to beat. They both do great sounding self- oscillation.
Delay pedals all sound different from one another, and its hard to recommend the one that sounds "better" - I personally like warm and lo-fi but one man's lovely vintage echo can be another man's cheap muddy mess. So go in a shop and check them out. Other ones to consider would be the Boss Space Echo pedal, Ibanez AD9, Maxon AD999, Line 6 DL4 and Echo Park, Carl Martin Red Repeat, Carl Martin Delayla, Homebrew Mimic. Some are analogue, some digital, some cheaper some more expensive but they're all worth a look.
There are also a few esoteric silly money units but IMHO its not worth it.
A.
Microwave
Regular

Postby Teleute » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:31 pm

I've got an old Boss dd3, its fairly basic but it's slightly filtered sound sits perfectly with the dry signal without smothering it. Something I've found a problem with other delays. Self oscillates brilliantly from nice dub echo to full on melt banana type noise.

I've not used the EHX delays but i've got a micro pog and a little big muff and they sound stunning compared to other manufactures similar pedals, so would gladly buy anything from them.

Of the two I'd go for the stereo memory man. mainly because the case is a lot more sturdy and doesn't have any dials next to the foot switch for you to break. Also its cheaper and does more.

But as whawha says try a few out, I'm sure plenty of people think my beloved dd3 sounds crap.
Teleute
Regular

Postby caveman82 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:19 pm

annfras wrote:
I am hesitating between the Electro-Harmonix Deluxe or the newer version Stereoman with Hazarai.

i have the hazarai, and a boss dd5. the hazarai is a great piece of kit, absolutely lovely. one black mark against it is that it is quite complex to use! well in comparative terms anyway, there is a lot the pedal can do. barely scratched the surface of what it can do.

that'd be my recommendation, it seems like it can do a lot of things, which might not be what you need, but it is great for experimentation...

i absolutely love my boss dd5 though. owned for around 10 years, absolutely battered but never had the slightest problem. the new boss dd7 looks nice enough.

i agree with the poster above though, each delay pedal has it's own sound. try and find the one which suits your ears the best!
caveman82
Frequent Poster
http://soundcloud.com/earwighoney

Postby matango » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:11 pm

Teleute wrote:I've got an old Boss dd3, its fairly basic but it's slightly filtered sound sits perfectly with the dry signal without smothering it. Something I've found a problem with other delays. Self oscillates brilliantly from nice dub echo to full on melt banana type noise.

I've not used the EHX delays but i've got a micro pog and a little big muff and they sound stunning compared to other manufactures similar pedals, so would gladly buy anything from them.

Of the two I'd go for the stereo memory man. mainly because the case is a lot more sturdy and doesn't have any dials next to the foot switch for you to break. Also its cheaper and does more.

But as whawha says try a few out, I'm sure plenty of people think my beloved dd3 sounds crap.

I have the DD-2, its a really nice sounding digital delay but if annfras is after a warm retro sound I think he/ she'd be better off with one of the pedals mentioned above. The Boss DDs are great but most definitely digital delays. A cleaner, digital sound was the new thing when they came out and thats what people bough them for. Of course now days they're liked because they're not as clean as the current digital delays. ;) I vote for the EHX pedals. Another good option would be a second hand DM-2, but if you can find it it will cost you a pretty penny.
matango

Postby jellyjim » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:10 pm

WhaWha's pretty much covered it but yeah delays pretty much fall in the following categories

analogue tape (copicat, space echo)
other analogue electronics, the so called "bucket brigade" type (EHX, maxon)
digital delays (boss dd etc)

all can be great and vary in warmth and functionality with typically tape being warmest, digital coldest (although modern algorithms are arguably comparable) and tape shortest delay times and fewer functions and digital longer delay times and more functionality

i have an ehx memory man deluxe, gorgeous, great on guitar and my moog little phatty too! although if i still had my roland space echo i wouldn't be complaining

if you don't get snobbish about real vs. virtual then the line 6 echo park simulates everything and the new space echo emulating roland pedal is very very close

most delays will self-oscillate, i think the only ones that don't are some of the earlier digital delays because for a time it was considered a bug rather than a feature!
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby thesilentdawn » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:49 pm

annfras wrote:Hi guys and girls,

I am looking for a delay pedal. Needs to have a really warm sound and be able to oscillates.
Is there anything else better?

Thanks!

Yes, there's tons of better pedals out there.

Best cheap warm digital delay: Ibanez DE7. The self-oscillation absolutely kicks posterior.

The delay pedal of my dreams: the Pigtronix Echolution. Does everything you could want including reverse elements. Well over £200 though to buy in from the US. Try the Pro Guitar Shop demo on Youtube for some sounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM9KyKd54Ac

Boss RE-20. Space Echo sound without playing with tape...

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/RE-20/

There really are a lot of pedals out there. Hop onto Youtube and find some demos.
thesilentdawn
Poster

Postby Spiked Lunch » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:23 pm

My DD3 doesn't self oscillate but my cousins does, if I remember correctly. If you're looking at the DD3, it might be worth checking if the unit does self oscillate if that's important to you.

Mike
Spiked Lunch
Regular

Postby The Korff » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:30 pm

My Boss PS-2 self oscillates (but then so does my Copicat :D )

They both do so in entirely different ways though (plus I'm going to need to spend some time & money on cleaning the Copicat and getting some more tape for it... it's up to you whether you think it's worth it. You might not, but it does dub SO well! It also likes snare drums...) They each cost me £50 on the bay.

If you're after something analogue, the new MXR Carbon Copy is a bucket brigade-type pedal, in a box the same size as a Phase 90. It is reviewed in the May issue of Performing Musician [/shameless plug].

Cheers!

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby leslawrenson » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:56 pm

If you are talking primarily about stomp box pedals, I can thoroughly recommend my old Tokai Analogue Delay.

I used one when I used to gig back in the 90s, but my brother nicked it and then sold it. I spent ages waiting for one to come on Ebay, but it finally did after about 5 years of my watching and waiting.

Needless to say, they are not common. However, the delay is wonderfully warm. And I think it self-oscillates.
leslawrenson
Regular