You are here

Ever use a Spider Capo?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Ever use a Spider Capo?

Postby ParaShift77 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:53 am

Hey guys, it's my first post here! Great to be here.

Regarding the SpiderCapo, I'm all about this thing, though I understand it's not for everyone. I think it has the potential to open many doors for song and riff writing. It makes you look at the fretboard in an entirely new way and forces you to try out brand new chord shapes that wouldn't otherwise be possible! I've written tons of unique riffs through it and actually have just completed an album with songs using 2 spider capos at the same time. The inventor, Peter, is a really cool guy. Had the pleasure of meeting him at a guitar expo in CT last year.
Starting to make some YouTube content around the myriad ways of using it. If you're interested, here's a video I just made about a cool SpiderCapo positioning, making the open strings play an E minor add 9 chord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx2tGSouOEA

Who else has had experience with it?
ParaShift77
New here

Re: Ever use a Spider Capo?

Postby Matt Houghton » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:48 pm

Our own Sam Inglis has used and reviewed it...
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby Sam Inglis » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:08 pm

Indeed.

In fact here's a tune that uses it (on the main acoustic guitar part):

http://bibliothequemusic.com/media/9590/lo.mp3
Sam Inglis

Postby forumuser918214 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:36 pm

For those who understand it and the way your playing must change to use it, it must be an interesting thing to experiment with. But the marketing is deceptive in that it implies that you can use it to switch to alternate tunings more easily and quickly. It doesn't say that the left hand playing is completely different due to the changed intervals between strings!
forumuser918214
Poster

Postby Sam Inglis » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:54 pm

Well, in some ways the left hand fingerings change less than they do with conventional altered tunings such as DADGAD. For instance if you have a Spider Capo on, barre chords are completely unchanged. It's only the open strings that change.
Sam Inglis

Postby CS70 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:56 pm

Interesting. Just the other day I was inventing a progression where I thought a slide would work great but can't be bothered to retune the guitar. Guess this would help!

For leads it shouldn't really make much difference as the notes are exactly in the same positions as always, it's only the open strings that would play different notes. And any fretted chord would work as well.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:25 pm

No it wouldn't help with slide 'cos only the intervals between open strings change. A slide at, say, V will still play ADGCEA whatever type of capo is used in the lower four frets. I use partial capo's quite a lot, mostly what I refer to as a "DADGAD" capo to fret the A, D & G strings at the second fret. Effectively DADGAD tuning a tone up for the open strings at least.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ParaShift77 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:39 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:Indeed.

In fact here's a tune that uses it (on the main acoustic guitar part):

http://bibliothequemusic.com/media/9590/lo.mp3

That's a beautiful tune Sam! Where do you have it capo'd?

forumuser918214 wrote:For those who understand it and the way your playing must change to use it, it must be an interesting thing to experiment with. But the marketing is deceptive in that it implies that you can use it to switch to alternate tunings more easily and quickly. It doesn't say that the left hand playing is completely different due to the changed intervals between strings!

I see what you're saying about that, yeah. It totally changes the fretboard! That's why I love it, for the experimental factor. But I understand how if players want to use these common alternate tunings, this can be frustrating.

I personally just love coming up with a wacky capo situation and forcing myself to create new chord shapes. It's not always successful, but some of the stuff you can come up with is uncanny.
ParaShift77
New here

Postby SecretSam » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:07 pm

I'm not really a capo user, so maybe I'm missing the point.

As far as I can tell, the gadget allows you to raise the pitch of an open string (by keeping it permanently fretted) at the cost of losing access to the lower frets. OK, it might make you come up with intervals that you wouldn't usually try. If your approach to writing is to wiggle your fingers and see what happens, and if you think voice leading is what happens when the Pied Piper sings.

Mind you, I'm a miserable old git after a bottle of wine, so don't mind me. I just think if you learn the instrument properly, you shouldn't have to bugger about with the tuning between tunes. And capos are for people who can't play barre chords, and who stay in one key for far too long.

And millennials are whiners, and everyone should get a haircut and get a job.

Harrumph.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:30 pm

I have spent the time 'learning the instrument properly' (for a certain value of 'properly'). I use capo's quite a lot because they allow you to do things that are simply impossible to do in standard tuning. In some styles they are part of the DNA, Bluegrass players use them nearly all the time and I doubt anybody could listen to Molly Tuttle or Billy Strings and say they hadn't learned to play the instrument properly.

edited to add :tongue:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:58 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:No it wouldn't help with slide 'cos only the intervals between open strings change.

True 'dat :headbang:
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:00 pm

SecretSam wrote:I just think if you learn the instrument properly, .

Right, Mark has obviously never learnt the instrument properly :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_wcFUbXExk
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby SecretSam » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:12 am

Yeah, but at his age he's probably got arthritis, so he has an excuse. I bet he could play it without a capo ten years ago.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Postby SecretSam » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:15 am

Sam Spoons wrote:I have spent the time 'learning the instrument properly' (for a certain value of 'properly'). I use capo's quite a lot because they allow you to do things that are simply impossible to do in standard tuning. In some styles they are part of the DNA, Bluegrass players use them nearly all the time and I doubt anybody could listen to Molly Tuttle or Billy Strings and say they hadn't learned to play the instrument properly.

edited to add :tongue:

Out of respect, Lord Spoons, I am willing to Google Molly and Billy. But I draw the line a couple of metres this side of bluegrass. Because I haven't dated my cousin, that's why. You definitely shouldn't need a capo if you have six fingers, anyway.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:39 am

:D :D :D TBF Django did amazing things with only two fully functioning fingers and AFAIK he never used a capo.

Mark in 1986, capo at III and, IIRC, open G tuning, so a double whammy on Romeo and Juliet.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvLzmxOjqVE&list=RDnvLzmxOjqVE&start_radio=1&t=235

Billy and Molly https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=LJzz-Nuo-QQ&feature=emb_logo
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Next