You are here

Weighted 88 key digital piano / keyboard....Opinions please?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Weighted 88 key digital piano / keyboard....Opinions please?

Postby BobThomas67 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:00 pm

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of help or advice please....I'm currently looking for a fully weighted, full sized keyboard (or digital piano), but I want one that has MIDI (preferably through USB), and ideally has onboard sounds (although this isn't a big deal necessarily). Obviously I want to spend as little as possible, but anything up to the low end of 4 digit prices would be okay....

Does anyone have any tips on this front? There's an almost endless pile of controllers out there, but I want something as realistic feeling to play as possible to a "real" piano (And yes, I HAVE considered one of those! I can't seem to find any output sockets on them though... :D)

Thanks in advance for any help any of you good people can offer
BobThomas67

Re: Weighted 88 key digital piano / keyboard....Opinions please?

Postby Jaybee501 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:55 pm

I am also looking for a very similar item and would much appreciate any suggestions from forum members.

I have tried the new Roland FP-80 but although it sounded great I personally found the percussive action of the keys was too hard for me.

Today I played the Yamaha CP33 and much preferred this key action to the Roland mentioned above.
However this particular model doesn't offer multi-track recording which is a facility that I would ideally like to have (I am graduating from an old Yamaha Clavinova CPV70 that has a very limited 4 track recording facility but was useful to me).

Looking on the internet I see Yamaha offer a CP300 which appears to offer 16 track recording capabilities, however I did not see this alternative model in the showroom. Can anyone advise if it is identical in touch and build to the CP33? (It is obviously much heavier having built-in speakers though).

Also can forum members advise where best to try a varied suitable selection of models in or near to the East Berkshire area? I have been to Dawsons (Reading) and Andertons (Guildford) to date.

Thanks in advance for any help in my search!
Jaybee501

Postby Afrokeys » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:59 pm

I know i am late in answering, but let me share my knowledge of all things piano hammer related...
I upgraded from a motif es 8 to a Studiologic VMK 188 plus. It was so good, i bought two of them. Weighted action is second to none! Fatar keybed inside is the best keybed available, in my opinion. Only problem for you would be that this is ONLY the controller.... I think they have some different models now, such as the Numa, and others....but they are still fatar keybeds inside, and will play as close to a real piano as you can get.
Hope this helps,
Erick
Afrokeys

Postby alexis » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:22 pm

Afrokeys wrote:I know i am late in answering, but let me share my knowledge of all things piano hammer related...
I upgraded from a motif es 8 to a Studiologic VMK 188 plus. It was so good, i bought two of them. Weighted action is second to none! Fatar keybed inside is the best keybed available, in my opinion. Only problem for you would be that this is ONLY the controller.... I think they have some different models now, such as the Numa, and others....but they are still fatar keybeds inside, and will play as close to a real piano as you can get.
Hope this helps,
Erick

Hi Erick - thanks for that! I have a Motif Classic, and although I like its action, I realized that even after programming the keyboard to be more sensitive it comes no where close to my little Steinway upright in terms of volume gradations I can get out of it. But one advantage is that it has a very usable set of sounds in it, which is great for DAW music creation (and more importantly, for gigging).

If the action is super on the Studiologic VMK 188, the price is certainly nice, but ... what what it take to give it a full library of sounds for gigging, like the Motif has? Some kind of separate "sound module box"?
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase 9.0.1; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Postby Fishnish » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:55 pm

+1 for the Studiologic. Excellent keyboard
Fishnish
Regular

Postby John F » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:25 pm

One reason I have my Kurzweil PC3X on the bottom is its Fatar weighted keyed. The sounds are very good also..
John F
Regular
Keyboard player at HyperActive80s band.  https://www.facebook.com/hyperactive80s/ Current live keyboards - Kurzweil PC3x - Korg Triton Extreme + Moss - Roland JP6