You are here

My dad invented a synth in the '70s...

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

My dad invented a synth in the '70s...

Postby resynator » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:05 pm

My dad invented a synthesizer in the late '70s and passed away when I was born in 1988. 25 years later I found his synth in my grandmother's attic and have since been discovering how unique it is.

It is a monophonic, pitch-tracking, instrument-controlled, rack-mount analog synth with 2 digital microprocessor chips.

I have one up and running but am now trying to rebuild 4 more from spare parts I found. I am in the process of making a documentary and am looking for financial support to finish this project.

Here is a 2 minute video about the Resynator:
http://www.vimeo.com/resynator/teaser
password: donald1979

link removed, see my post later in the thread.

Please reach out with any questions.

Thanks,
Alison
resynator
Poster

Re: My dad invented a synth in the '70s...

Postby Agharta » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:16 pm

I'd ask to get it moved to the Keyboards & Synthesis forum maybe!

Why is the video posted to a private account?
When I see things like private accounts and requests for money from a first time poster it makes me slightly wary so maybe better to post the info in a more open way!

Good luck with the project.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby zenguitar » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:11 pm

It is a good suggestion to move the topic to the Keyboards and synthesis forum. So I shall do that and leave a shadow Topic in the original forum.

The donation link in the original post has, for the time being, been removed. The post is written in a way that seems to imply that donations are for the building of the additional synths from remaining parts. However, I have checked the link and donations are being requested to fund the making of a documentary. This is disingenuous.

In general, the forums at SOS are provided as a place to have discussions. They are not provided as a means of attracting eyeballs to material off site. Alison, I am sure there will be people here genuinely interested in the story of your father's synthesiser. But the place to talk to them about him and his work is here, not a teaser video to raise funds for a documentary.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby resynator » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:52 pm

The documentary is about the rebuild process so any money raised goes towards the assembly of the synths and documenting it on film. It is not disingenuous and I'm happy to talk to anyone interested in donating. I have to submit receipts and invoices to the fiscal sponsor I am with who accept donations on my behalf as proof of where the funding is going. Feel free to remove the post entirely.
resynator
Poster

Postby resynator » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:53 pm

Agharta wrote:I'd ask to get it moved to the Keyboards & Synthesis forum maybe!

Why is the video posted to a private account?
When I see things like private accounts and requests for money from a first time poster it makes me slightly wary so maybe better to post the info in a more open way!

Good luck with the project.

The video is private because I used a couple songs which are not licensed! So the video has to remain private until I clear the music.
resynator
Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:30 am

A 3 minute video about a project revolving around a synthesizer, and there is no information about the thing at all, just a name and a box with knobs on it.

There is mention of the technology in it, but absolutely nothing to say why this technology is different or remarkable. There is nothing about the design of it, and nothing in that video that would pique the curiosity of a synthesizer fan.

Whoever you commissioned to make that video gave you a shiny, cliched corporate-style (and in my eyes quite annoying in its blandness and lack of substance) video and completely missed the central point.

I collect synthesizers as well as books and films on the history of them. I should be your ideal audience here, but I find myself completely unexcited by the whole prospect as a result of that video. The world is full of interesting boxes from yesteryear, and something different would be of interest indeed, even for the documentary purposes, but simply saying 'here's a really cool thing invented way back' without a single iota of explanation as to why it differs from a zillion other things (and playing 'suitable background music' from conventional bands, not even synth pieces, to give an impression of being 'with it') I'm left completely unimpressed at best, and irritated at worst.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but the truth is that not giving any interesting info about it up front and pitching it with that video is an oversight in my opinion.

You said you had one up and running - but there's not even a clear example of what it sounds like in there.

I get that for you this is more about your Father than the object itself, but if you are going to ask for donations for a project using that object as a hook, shouldn't you be focussing on 'it' rather than the wider context? Either that, or ask for donations to make a documentary about your Father, of which the synth is part. But as it is, branding the whole thing with the name of the synth then telling us nothing about what makes it interesting is unlikely to elicit the response you're seeking.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Dashanna » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:46 am

So this is the Musico Resynator that Pete Forrest mentions in his A-Z of Analog Synths?

There are several other pitch-tracking / pitch-to-voltage synths - compare the Roland SPV-855 - but the Resynator would certainly be unique if did actually track properly!

My fairly prolonged experience of pitch-tracking synths in the 90s is that they really don't work without huge glitches (which, eventually, were used as a feature of the music by Goldfrapp...)

I even went as far as trying to design one for myself, using a variety of techniques and ICs, but couldn't do better than the commercial ones I had used. (With the exception of the prototype that smashed the incoming audio into square waves at double the input frequency, and then divided them down. It tracked very well... but sounded like someone torturing a Solina.)

But I see mention of "digital microprocessors" being used in the Resynator.
Assuming these aren't just CMOS logic ICs and/or a PLL, perhaps it uses a digital analysis method which does get the job done.

-

There have been quite a few programmes on BBC Radio 4 over the years featuring interesting instruments with interesting stories like this, presumably PBR does the same.
For example: http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/703ea66a335d ... 5f9edf3edb - produced by Dinah Nutall for Loftus Media.

Perhaps, Alison, an original 28 min radio programme would be a good place to begin telling the story, and perhaps sparking interest. I believe the Theremin film began this way.
Dashanna
Poster

Postby minime123 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:32 pm

I'd love to see and hear this thing if you ever repost a video.
mini
minime123
Regular
Vintage Synth Dealer
https://tonetweakers.com/

Postby desmond » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:50 pm

A little Resynator review from E&MM just went up here, in case you've not seen it:

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/resynator-synthesiser/2719
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby resynator » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:01 pm

desmond wrote:A little Resynator review from E&MM just went up here, in case you've not seen it:

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/resynator-synthesiser/2719

Thank you so much for this! I had not seen this write up in this magazine before.

Many thanks,
resynator
Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:06 pm

You're welcome!

If I come across anything else Resynator related as I work through my archives, I'll post it up here...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby resynator » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:08 pm

desmond wrote:You're welcome!

If I come across anything else Resynator related as I work through my archives, I'll post it up here...

Sounds good - really appreciate it. This article confirms at the bottom that SYCO systems actually did have Resynators for sale. This was Peter Gabriel's distro company and now i need to get over to the UK to find these!
resynator
Poster

Postby siderealxxx » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:06 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:A 3 minute video about a project revolving around a synthesizer, and there is no information about the thing at all, just a name and a box with knobs on it.

There is mention of the technology in it, but absolutely nothing to say why this technology is different or remarkable. There is nothing about the design of it, and nothing in that video that would pique the curiosity of a synthesizer fan.

Whoever you commissioned to make that video gave you a shiny, cliched corporate-style (and in my eyes quite annoying in its blandness and lack of substance) video and completely missed the central point.

I collect synthesizers as well as books and films on the history of them. I should be your ideal audience here, but I find myself completely unexcited by the whole prospect as a result of that video. The world is full of interesting boxes from yesteryear, and something different would be of interest indeed, even for the documentary purposes, but simply saying 'here's a really cool thing invented way back' without a single iota of explanation as to why it differs from a zillion other things (and playing 'suitable background music' from conventional bands, not even synth pieces, to give an impression of being 'with it') I'm left completely unimpressed at best, and irritated at worst.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but the truth is that not giving any interesting info about it up front and pitching it with that video is an oversight in my opinion.

You said you had one up and running - but there's not even a clear example of what it sounds like in there.

I get that for you this is more about your Father than the object itself, but if you are going to ask for donations for a project using that object as a hook, shouldn't you be focussing on 'it' rather than the wider context? Either that, or ask for donations to make a documentary about your Father, of which the synth is part. But as it is, branding the whole thing with the name of the synth then telling us nothing about what makes it interesting is unlikely to elicit the response you're seeking.

Sorry but you're totally missing the point here and coming from the wrong angle entirely. This is clearly a labour of love with a touching story attached to it, and at this stage it's clearly not about what filters are inside. It may turn out to be amazing or no good, but its clearly about the journey which for some people is more interesting than the destination. And the OP is clearly doing this from the bottom up and its fine to ask for donations, no one is forcing you.

Good luck to the OP, I hope its interesting and fruitful for you.
siderealxxx
Regular
Excess makes the heart grow fonder

Postby zenguitar » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:34 am

To be fair to Eddy, I had similar concerns at first and expressed them in Private Messages to resynator. And to be equally fair to resynator she took those concerns fully onboard and stepped back from this thread.

But she does have a wonderful story to explore, and since our PM conversations she does have my full support. The link in her original post to the taster video and the fund raising for a documentary does give a false impression, and in our private conversation she did acknowledge that.

So, to Eddy I would reassure you that resynator is legit and has honest motives (not to mention a wonderful story to explore) so I can vouch for her. And to Desmond I would add my thanks for finding that article in your archive and posting the link.

zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:18 pm

zenguitar wrote:To be fair to Eddy, I had similar concerns at first and expressed them in Private Messages to resynator. And to be equally fair to resynator she took those concerns fully onboard and stepped back from this thread.

But she does have a wonderful story to explore, and since our PM conversations she does have my full support. The link in her original post to the taster video and the fund raising for a documentary does give a false impression, and in our private conversation she did acknowledge that.

So, to Eddy I would reassure you that resynator is legit and has honest motives (not to mention a wonderful story to explore) so I can vouch for her. And to Desmond I would add my thanks for finding that article in your archive and posting the link.

Duly noted - and I do wish her well with it.. I did get the personal angle she was adopting. It was the video that got under my skin a bit, as I found the cadence of it grating. I also think it didn't do the project justice and that seems a shame.

I hope she accomplishes her goals.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby wjoness » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:13 am

Cool news: Alison is moving forward with her Resynator project.

Check out this featured page at the Roland Guitar Synth resource:

http://www.joness.com/gr300/Resynator_Hexsynator_vintage_analog_synth_musico.htm

There is information on the Hexsynator, which looks to be a fully six-voice polyphonic version of the original Resynator, complete with a vintage Roland 24-pin input. This synth would have used a Roland G-303, or G-707, as a controller.
wjoness

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:25 am

Ooh, all that info/pics/audio demo makes things FAR more interesting! :thumbup:

Thanks Wayne for bringing such useful information to our attention with your first ever post!

Oh, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:07 am

resynator wrote:My dad invented a synthesizer in the late '70s and passed away when I was born in 1988. 25 years later I found his synth in my grandmother's attic and have since been discovering how unique it is.

It is a monophonic, pitch-tracking, instrument-controlled, rack-mount analog synth with 2 digital microprocessor chips.

I have one up and running but am now trying to rebuild 4 more from spare parts I found. I am in the process of making a documentary and am looking for financial support to finish this project.

Here is a 2 minute video about the Resynator:
http://www.vimeo.com/resynator/teaser
password: donald1979

link removed, see my post later in the thread.

Please reach out with any questions.

Thanks,
Alison

Hi Alison,

I clicked on the links and read everything and watched the teaser. Very interesting story and very much looking forward to watching your completed documentary.

Your journey might also make a good article for SoS magazine!

Best of luck and please do keep us posted.
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby desmond » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:24 pm

The Kickstarter for Alison's Resynator film is now up at:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/re ... /resynator

I've backed it, so if anyone else is interested in the story and the history, you can also show your support.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby resynator » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:03 am

desmond wrote:The Kickstarter for Alison's Resynator film is now up at:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/re ... /resynator

I've backed it, so if anyone else is interested in the story and the history, you can also show your support.

wow thank you so much! I must have already replied to you on the Kickstarter page but thank you again! and also for sharing it here :) It's definitely been developing into a great story that I think is worth sharing. And I hope to one day have an update about a new Resynator, in some form, somehow.

Thanks again,
Alison
resynator
Poster

Next