You are here

Kurzweil K2000 problem

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Kurzweil K2000 problem

Postby cynthiamann » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:33 pm

Hi All,

New to this forum so please forgive if I make any faux pas.

We have a K2000 which showed low battery on startup. Swapped them, same message. Overnight, while turned off, voltage drops from 3.4v to 0.3v. During use, using diagnostic tool, voltage drops from 3.4v to 0v even though connected to mains. Battery tester shows batteries are good. Contacted Kurzweil and they replied they no longer support this ‘decades old’ machine! So sad as love, love, love it. Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Cynthia Mann
cynthiamann

Re: Kurzweil K2000 problem

Postby resistorman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:06 pm

Are all the batteries from the same batch? Age? If so, try buying a new one.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby Nathan Mnemonic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:41 pm

Hello Cynthia,

I still find use for this "decades old" machine. I have the K2000 rack version with the orchestra expansion. I've found sounds that fit perfectly within the context of a few of my songs. It sits well within mixes too. There's a certain density or texture that breathes character in the sounds. While some may seem cheesy when soloed, they do not have the staleness of digital synths. The filters on this unit provide a unique sonic identity that you won't find on newer gear. It's wonderfully strange.

Unfortunately, I'm having some minor issues with mine as well. Sometimes I'm unable to cycle between the Program sounds and the Setup sounds. Occasionally, doing a full reset will fix this. Also, the disk drive will frequently give me an error when I try to load sounds from my Kurzweil floppy disks. With support dwindling, I may have to just replace it with another one someday...

Sorry, I'm not able to help with maintenance. I can only offer my condolence.

-Nathan Mnemonic
Nathan Mnemonic

Postby cynthiamann » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:02 pm

Hi resistorman,

I used a variety of batteries, all new but different brands. After the first couple of swaps, I tested them with a battery tester. They all gave around 1.5v before and after trying them in the synth. The synth re-initiallises on startup but saved songs are still available, so I am a bit puzzled.

Thanks for taking the time to try to help.

Cynthia
cynthiamann

Postby zenguitar » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:11 pm

Although Kurzweil may not support the K2000 any more, it is possible that there are experienced techs out there who might be able to troubleshoot yours. If you let us know where in the world you are based someone might be able to recommend one for you.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby cynthiamann » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:18 pm

Hi zenguitar,

I am in the UK.

Thanks, Cynthia
cynthiamann

Postby Enjoy Malc » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:30 pm

You could try asking this question on the Mastering Vast forums, where there are a few kurz-oriented techs. You need to sign up to read or post anything, but it’s free and full of other good kurz info.

http://forums.godlike.com.au" target="phpbbpopup

Also try a hard reset with a new battery. I think this will erase all user objects, but sometimes clears up glitches. Hold down buttons 1 2 3 while turning the K2000 on.

Malc
Enjoy Malc
Poster
Sound designer using Kurzweil VAST http://enjoythesirens.com

Postby Alperian » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:13 am

I can't advise either although i have had the back off of one many a time. If you can't get a game of pong on it, then it's probably bust.
Alperian
Poster

Postby Captain Waves » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:09 am

cynthiamann wrote:Hi All,

We have a K2000 which showed low battery on startup. Swapped them, same message. Overnight, while turned off, voltage drops from 3.4v to 0.3v. During use, using diagnostic tool, voltage drops from 3.4v to 0v even though connected to mains. Battery tester shows batteries are good. Contacted Kurzweil and they replied they no longer support this ‘decades old’ machine! So sad as love, love, love it. Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Cynthia Mann

Hi Cynthia,

The exact same thing happened to my K2000 a few months ago with almost the exact same drops in voltage.

The following is what solved it for me :

I opened up the battery compartment (disconnecting from the mains plug) & scraped the metal contacts ( the springs that hold & carry current from the batteries) with a screwdriver & some sandpaper ,having noticed that the steel was a bit dull & knowing that this procedure had solved other battery based problems on older equipment in this damp climate.

This worked & instantly my K2000 was back to full power & saving the loaded patches in its ram again. Before that I was used to having to load patches/ samples from floppy each time I switched it on for quite a long time & thought it was due to corrupted ram eg

I hope this works for your K2000.
Captain Waves
Regular

Postby mody1 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:31 pm

cynthiamann wrote:Hi All,

Many thanks.

Cynthia Mann

I had the same problem
turns out it was a pcb wire broke and a faulty resistor placed on pcb
i replaced the 100k with 1 megaohm and fixed the pcb line
now it boots fine no more low batt errors
mody1

Postby Dave B » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:51 am

That's good to know - thanks Mody. I suspect we'll see a few more failures as time goes by, so good to know that they can be resurrected and made happy.

I have such a soft spot for the old K2000. It just sounds so rich and in your face. I've had almost everything from that onwards, and, as much as I love it all, I still smile when I get my hands on a K2000.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)