You are here

Behringer Pro-One

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Behringer Pro-One

Postby The Elf » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:43 pm

The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Behringer Pro-One

Postby Dave B » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:56 pm

Verrrrry Interesting ... ;)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby resistorman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:33 pm

Well, the Behringer engineers/ synth geeks must be having a great time! I have to say that I owned one of these and didn't particularly love the sound, by then I was more about poly synths, too. I liked my Micromoog a lot better, even though it didn't hold pitch once it got humid. Hmmm... I'd buy a Micromoog. As long as they're at it...
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby The Elf » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:20 pm

The Pro-One is THE best bass synth I ever used. The envelopes are *lightning* fast, the oscillators are gritty and the filter is vicious. Oscillator sync and the highly flexible mod matrix add a thick layer of icing to the cake. Places where the MiniMoog has always trodden delicately, and the Odyssey has danced in scattering fairy dust, the Pro-One arrives with a spiked wooden club.

Obviously these kinds of characteristics aren't going to suit all people or styles, but you'll know within minutes if it's for you or not. The Pro-One's worst characteristic is that the filter resonance absolutely destroys the low end. These days I will track a second pass with zero resonance to add the lows.

If Behringer nail the Pro-One like they nailed the MiniMoog, and they get the price anywhere close by it, then it deserves to do well, and I'm sure it will. We'll see.

It's not a synth that I need (I still have two original Pro-Ones! And I have a shout on a third...), TBH, but I may grab one for a quick A/B when I can.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:40 pm

Totally agree with your summary of the Pro-One's sound, Elf.

I still own one of the first in the country (bought from KGM mail order out the back of the Melody Maker ads). There'll be a big market for it, and you just know B. will get the price to the "do I buy the wife a birthday present or a Berry P01 ?" decisions, decisions... :D
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,267 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby Folderol » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:16 pm

Bugger!
Didn't notice it was a facebook link - now the bastards have information on me :(
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.

Postby blinddrew » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:02 pm

Folderol wrote:Bugger!
Didn't notice it was a facebook link - now the bastards have information on me :(
Yeah, but they'll never notice it buried under all the information they have on the rest of us...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby resistorman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:35 pm

The Elf wrote: Places where the MiniMoog has always trodden delicately, and the Odyssey has danced in scattering fairy dust, the Pro-One arrives with a spiked wooden club.
Har! True enough. I’m getting the feeling you’re a fan, so I have to tell you the story of how I wound up with it now. There was a local punk band that played at one of our world famous dives owned by a certain Sea Captain. The keyboard player was a woman who wore a distressed and somewhat undersized Brownie uniform (a US girls’ scouting organization) and used a dilapidated ironing board as her keyboard stand. One night an enthusiastic fan threw a handful of metal based glitter all over the stage, and some filtered in and shorted out a couple of traces on her pro 1 circuit board and let out the magic smoke. They sold it to me for $100 and I fixed it up in an hour or so.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby zenguitar » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:08 am

And the all important lesson to be learned is this; keep glittery fairy dust well away from the magic smoke at all times.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby SecretSam » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:17 pm

I always follow your advice, Andy. Will definitely bear that in mind. And pass on the advice to my dealer.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby BigRedX » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:27 pm

Hopefully the build quality of the Behringer version will be better than the original (did I really just type that?)

My overwhelming impression of the SC Pro1 was just how much the front panel moved up and down when you manipulated any of the controls. That can't have been any good for the circuitry below.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby The Elf » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:30 pm

I never had any problem with the panel, or the knobs, but the keyboard was truly junk. Not only is it the most clattery keyboard on the planet, but for most it was also extremely unreliable. To be fair, one of mine has actually been pretty good, even though I rarely play it from its own keyboard, but the other is almost unusable.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby feline1 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:19 am

Yeah, feline2 had a Pro-one, and although you could get plenty of great sounds out of it, I always thought the mechanical feel of it was very flimsy.
It also made a hideous earth-loop hum unless you used it with a DI box.
feline1
Frequent Poster (Level2)
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! http://www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:28 am

feline1 wrote:It also made a hideous earth-loop hum unless you used it with a DI box.

Not on mine.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,267 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:32 am

They say it takes two to tango, and the same is true of Ground Loops -- you can't blame a ground loop on a single device, because the loop is formed between two devices... and so the receiving device is just as much to blame (if not more so) for the unwanted noise.

Appropriate audio wiring strategies can always remove ground loops...

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:44 am

Forum Admin wrote:
feline1 wrote:It also made a hideous earth-loop hum unless you used it with a DI box.
Not on mine.
Or mine. Perfectly well-behaved and a VERY hot output.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:09 pm

Since day one I have been recommending the Pro 1 to everyone that needs proper low end.

yes, there are other synths that can rumple a city but they cost a lung.
Zukan

Postby envamt » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:16 pm

This has Behringers replica of the Curtis SEM 3340 VCO chip in it. Interestingly Curtis have started to remake this chip too. Other synths with this chip include the SH-101, Jup-6, Pro-5 v3, Pro-10, Pro-1, Pro-2, Pro-08, Pro-6, OB-8, OB-Xa and Ob-6 to name a good few. According to gearjunkies.com Behringer announced last year “We have 4 synthesizer development teams simultaneously working on 20 synths, drum machines etc.. We’ll be creating both innovative new synths as well as reviving classics. We’re all in and the teams are on fire.'” Sounds like everybody in the next five years or so will have at least one Behringer analog device if not 10 or even 20!
envamt
Poster

Postby Wintersun Project » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:19 pm

I don't really do forums.. as you can see.
6 posts in 18 years... but
I had contact from Joe rivers from music tribe to say they NOW had no further plans to make this available as a product to the market, which has really pi$$ed me off, as i want this one badly like I'm sure lots of others do. Ive since emailed them back to ask them to explain in further detail, because other people are saying its definitely going ahead.
Behringer don't seem to have any idea, and told me Jo was a good source for this kind of information.

Having had communication with the actual developers I'm wondering who to believe at this point, i had this out on gearslutz and got called a liar and everything in between, god knows why ! So i deleted all my posts and got out of there, that forum is like a bloody bear pit !

Anyway, why someone official can't put an update out about this i don't know, its really annoying !

If anyone on here has got any information on it, would be great to hear about this for good or for bad.
Wintersun Project
Poster

Postby Chevytraveller » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:19 pm

Hopefully they will be at next week's Synthfest.. they may(or may not) be able to answer questions then

:bouncy:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster
Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, Hard: Emulator II, E-Synth, Roland Promars, Obie TVS-1, Waldorf Q, AS Telemark,  Eurocrack disease

Next