You are here

Eurorack, more addictive than Hobnobs.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Eurorack, more addictive than Hobnobs.

Postby Arpangel » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:05 am

OK, I've got my Buchla Easel, and all is well, ad has been since I "gave up" Eurorack about a year ago.
But...............I kept a few Euro modules in the basement, things I couldn't bare to part with, things that just look good, or had original artwork, like my 4ms Noise Swash, a MK1 Maths, and a Snazzy Dream Boat.
So, yesterday I had a relapse, I was on Modular Grid putting together a little 3U 48hp system "just to house my left overs" after all what's the point in having them if you're not going to use them, or even see them! You know it makes sense!
The only way out of this is to walk to the charity shop now and make a donation, or do the unthinkable.......

:D
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Eurorack, more addictive than Hobnobs.

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:33 am

/shrug.


I’m 12U x 104 hp in and have no plans on stopping or downsizing. I don’t buy modules like crazy, but it’s a fun hobby and I enjoy making music on it. I currently have 9 voices but that’s not nearly enough!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 559
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:00 am
Location: NYC

Re: Eurorack, more addictive than Hobnobs.

Postby Arpangel » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:36 am

Ben Asaro wrote:/shrug.


I’m 12U x 104 hp in and have no plans on stopping or downsizing. I don’t buy modules like crazy, but it’s a fun hobby and I enjoy making music on it. I currently have 9 voices but that’s not nearly enough!

I got lost in it, it wasn't working for me on that scale, I had 18U 84hp.
It just didn't get used, it was too intimidating, there was no way I could learn all of those modules inside out and remember it all. I tried all approaches, one big instrument, splitting it up into seperate rows, different cabinets, but it didn't work.
I'll probably do what I said, and put my left over stuff into a little case Just so I can use it.
This whole scenario is why I bought the Easel which gets used all the time, and has stopped me constantly fretting and rearranging.
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Eurorack, more addictive than Hobnobs.

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:52 pm

I can definitely relate, the price of entry, time-wise, is massive when going modular! One pointer I can give is having index cards handy for the more complex modules like Function, Maths, and Quadnic; saves me having to stop mid-stream to read a manual. Quick reference sheets are my friends!

I gave up on trying to have any order in my layout; if there is any theme, it’s purely by accident! Though I do try to keep my rhythmic stuff together: Pam’s Workout, Euclidean Circles, and drum voices. I love using the Korg SQ-1 for looped, generative patches but a serious sequencer is needed for actual songwriting, in my opinion (I use the NerdSeq).

The turning point for me was figuring out what I actually wanted from my modular — I can, and do, use it as a self contained instrument, but really prefer how it adds textures to polyphonic orchestral patches. It takes AGES to write this way but I absolutely adore the end result!

I guess, regarding the endless tweaking, it depends on what kind of personality you have. I tend to work quickly and tear down patches without notes. Sometimes a patch stays up for months. At the end of the day, it really doesn’t matter, there’s no harm in either approach.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 559
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:00 am
Location: NYC

Re: Eurorack, more addictive than Hobnobs.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:00 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:The turning point for me was figuring out what I actually wanted from my modular — I can, and do, use it as a self contained instrument, but really prefer how it adds textures to polyphonic orchestral patches. It takes AGES to write this way but I absolutely adore the end result!

I guess, regarding the endless tweaking, it depends on what kind of personality you have. I tend to work quickly and tear down patches without notes. Sometimes a patch stays up for months. At the end of the day, it really doesn’t matter, there’s no harm in either approach.

I agree. To me, modular serves two distinct purposes namely the fun of messing about with it as an activity in and of itself, and as 'just another' sound source. The two may overlap of course.

My current preference is to not stress about saving patches, not just on modular but anything. If there is a quick and easy way to park a patch, sure use it, but the more I've gotten into working with analogue-style synths, several of which only have numbered slots for patches as opposed to names, the less I'm worried about retaining those sounds. I'm focussing more and more on the sound as I need it now, not tomorrow, and once I've got a sound I like and use I'll print the audio I need and then move on!
User avatar
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2545
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, raising money for charity via music created by forum members at https://sosforumalbum.bandcamp.com
 

Re: Eurorack, more addictive than Hobnobs.

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:10 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I'm focussing more and more on the sound as I need it now, not tomorrow, and once I've got a sound I like and use I'll print the audio I need and then move on!
“Sufficient for each day is its own patching requirements.”
- Sermon on The Mount
Or something like that! :tongue:
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 559
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:00 am
Location: NYC

Re: Eurorack, more addictive than Hobnobs.

Postby Arpangel » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:17 am

Ben Asaro wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:I'm focussing more and more on the sound as I need it now, not tomorrow, and once I've got a sound I like and use I'll print the audio I need and then move on!
“Sufficient for each day is its own patching requirements.”
- Sermon on The Mount
Or something like that! :tongue:

Looking back on it, I may as well have left mine on one patch, I only ever used it for one thing, abstract/forest/animal/insect sounds, which it was very good at, it was like having my own voltage controlled forest.
All I used to do was move a few knobs for a bit of variation. I just came to the conclusion that I had recorded enough forest sounds to last me a lifetime, and it wasn't getting used for anything else.
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Eurorack, more addictive than Hobnobs.

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:41 pm

I love layering field recordings with my synth music but have never tried using my modular to imitate actual sounds found in nature; do you have any recordings available of those sounds?

I'm working on a writing commission right now for a tabletop gaming podcast. These loopable themes use field recordings and the modular ; Moog Mother-32, Boomstar Oscillation, and Quadnic; plus Euclidean Circles for percussion. The sequencer is an SQ-1.

https://soundcloud.com/asfollowswriting/kob-s2-1

https://soundcloud.com/asfollowswriting/kob-s2-1
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 559
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:00 am
Location: NYC

Re: Eurorack, more addictive than Hobnobs.

Postby Arpangel » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:27 am

Ben Asaro wrote:I love layering field recordings with my synth music but have never tried using my modular to imitate actual sounds found in nature; do you have any recordings available of those sounds?

I'm working on a writing commission right now for a tabletop gaming podcast. These loopable themes use field recordings and the modular ; Moog Mother-32, Boomstar Oscillation, and Quadnic; plus Euclidean Circles for percussion. The sequencer is an SQ-1.

https://soundcloud.com/asfollowswriting/kob-s2-1

https://soundcloud.com/asfollowswriting/kob-s2-1

I've got loads of those old recordings, I'd have to root around on the computer.
A lot of them ended up as part of a mix on finished tracks, so they don't exist on their own, but some do, I'll have a look.
That's why I kept my Noise Swash, it was a central element in a lot of my patches, along with a few Doepfer A118's and sometimes I'd have this big system, and most of the time only a handful of modules would get used.
I can get similar sounds, with just as much depth now, using just my Easel.
:roll:
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Eurorack, more addictive than Hobnobs.

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:45 am

I would love to hear some of it!

Re: your last post --
Oh yeah, for sure; in a big patch you will use far more LFOs, VCAs, and EGs than actual oscillators or voices, I think. I like having the option of several types of voices (digital, wavetable, chiptune, analogue, etc) but it's rare when I will have every VCO playing something unique all at once.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 559
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:00 am
Location: NYC

Re: Eurorack, more addictive than Hobnobs.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:09 pm

Ah... you boys and your Eurorack pluggery... you'll be making no more bleeps and bloops after Oct 31st when it all stops working... :lol: :bouncy: :D
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 24540
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Eurorack, more addictive than Hobnobs.

Postby Zukan » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:24 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Ah... you boys and your Eurorack pluggery... you'll be making no more bleeps and bloops after Oct 31st when it all stops working... :lol: :bouncy: :D


Oooh, that was dark. But I love it.
User avatar
Zukan
Moderator
Posts: 7996
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Eurorack, more addictive than Hobnobs.

Postby blinddrew » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:38 pm

Was discussing with one of the other volunteers the irony that the HP spacing for eurorack is actually based on an imperial measurement.
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8102
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Eurorack, more addictive than Hobnobs.

Postby Arpangel » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:15 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Ah... you boys and your Eurorack pluggery... you'll be making no more bleeps and bloops after Oct 31st when it all stops working... :lol: :bouncy: :D

It won't affect me, I got rid of it all!
I just couldn't make that final commitment to Eurorack, a beard, a fixed wheel bike, and a flat in Dalston....

:) :D :blush:
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Eurorack, more addictive than Hobnobs.

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:45 pm

Arpangel wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:Ah... you boys and your Eurorack pluggery... you'll be making no more bleeps and bloops after Oct 31st when it all stops working... :lol: :bouncy: :D

It won't affect me, I got rid of it all!
I just couldn't make that final commitment to Eurorack, a beard, a fixed wheel bike, and a flat in Dalston....

:) :D :blush:
LOL!
I was talking to a friend the other day, and said, "Oh no! I'm drinking craft beer whilst playing a modular synth, and I live in Brooklyn .... I think I'm a hipster!!" :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 559
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:00 am
Location: NYC

Re: Eurorack, more addictive than Hobnobs.

Postby Arpangel » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:57 am

Ben Asaro wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:Ah... you boys and your Eurorack pluggery... you'll be making no more bleeps and bloops after Oct 31st when it all stops working... :lol: :bouncy: :D

It won't affect me, I got rid of it all!
I just couldn't make that final commitment to Eurorack, a beard, a fixed wheel bike, and a flat in Dalston....

:) :D :blush:
LOL!
I was talking to a friend the other day, and said, "Oh no! I'm drinking craft beer whilst playing a modular synth, and I live in Brooklyn .... I think I'm a hipster!!" :D

Ha Ha! Yes, I try not to stereotype, but I must admit, sometimes it's difficult, and I see it in myself!
That shouldn't affect our buying/equipment choices I know, but I'm sort of thinking, well, if I use this I'll stand a good chance of sounding like so-and-so, so I'll change my mind and get something else!
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users