You are here

Keys/module for an Akai MPC1000

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Keys/module for an Akai MPC1000

Postby BillB » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:18 pm

Hi folks,
I have just bought an Akai MPC1000, mainly as a hardware MIDI sequencer for outboard synths and modules, although I will look into its onboard sampling as well in due course. I am thinking that it would be a fun device to take on hols (UK!) if accompanied by some form of keys and a multi-timbral MIDI Sound module.

The ‘least wires’ option - and around the right size - would be something like the Korg Micro X,
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/korg-micro-x
although at £200+ that’s maybe pushing my budget (as far as Mrs B is concerned) given that a) I just bought the MPC and b) I need to budget for an MPC pad upgrade at around £150 inc post from USA :thumbdown:
Incidentally, the MPC pads work, they just are not very sensitive. :headbang:

Another option would be a module along the lines of a Roland Sound Canvas or Yamaha XG. Something that allows basic editing of onboard sounds (filter, Env, Level, pan) and saving of a setup (by MIDI sysex if necessary). An example I have looked at is the Yamaha MU15. Graphical editing and save/load to sysex. I have a couple of small MIDI keyboards. Obviously this would mean more units to power, so slightly more messy.

Finally, I also have an iPad, and there are a few apps e.g. bismark soundfont player which gets good reviews, and a Roland Sound Canvas, which doesn’t! So I’m inclined to keep to hardware, which, as we all know, ‘works’, if possible...

Am I missing any obvious contenders in the small (cheap) multi-timbral, editable (with drum sounds) keyboard department, or do you have any other suggestions?
BillB
Frequent Poster

Re: Keys/module for an Akai MPC1000

Postby zenguitar » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:27 pm

Don’t forget the iPad has Garage Band which has a nice selection of included instruments.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby BillB » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:15 pm

zenguitar wrote:Don’t forget the iPad has Garage Band which has a nice selection of included instruments.

Good thought, Andy, although I notice it currently requires IOS13 and I am currently on 11, I think due to lack of file capacity to upgrade... it’s at times like this that an old MIDI hardware box holds more appeal! However, I’ll keep an open mind on iPad apps.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:12 pm

I may have solved this by reviewing what I already had - now there's a radical idea!

My Waldorf Blofeld Desktop is small, 16-part multi-timbral, 25 voices (ish) and a stunning synth. I had got kind of fixated on a GM-type module, but would likely not use 3/4 of the sounds, whereas the Blofeld is a synth above all.

It should be possible to create a rhythm section with several of the parts: there is note range control so a drum-machine like response (C2=Kick drum, D2=snare) will be possible, even on the same channel. This will still leave plenty of polyphony for bass, lead, chords, and twiddles on other channels.

It also has an excellent MIDI spec and many parameters can be controlled by MIDI CC's, so quite easy to implement in a controller. A better controller may be in order - a Novation Remote SL 37 would be about perfect. If anyone has one lying around unused, get in touch!

Although the idea of a bespoke synthesized percussion set does appeal, it is obviously possible to create the rhythm section with samples on the MPC
- that's kind of what they are for :headbang:

Does anyone know of good (i.e. cheap/free/safe) sources of WAV electronic percussion samples to be assigned to the pads?
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:21 am

BillB wrote:Does anyone know of good (i.e. cheap/free/safe) sources of WAV electronic percussion samples to be assigned to the pads?

Was this a daft question, to which the answer is either "Google" or "everywhere"?

I thought maybe folks would be aware of nice WAV collections (classic drum machines...) well-suited to drag and drop...?
BillB
Frequent Poster