You are here

Is there a PC laptop app to send out Midi patch data for live use?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Is there a PC laptop app to send out Midi patch data for live use?

Postby gregstonian » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:56 pm

Hi, I've been looking for a PC program like Cantabile for live use BUT it only needs to handle MIDI not audio. It would send out Program Change messages (maybe triggered by the top keyboard note) which would be preset within setlists. I used the RMS program for Cats a few years ago which was great but the built-in sounds you get when you hire it for a show weren't that good. The idea is because you'd basically be using hardware and no audio or VST it wouldn't need masses of RAM etc and be super reliable.
I've downloaded the trial of Cantabile and it seems great and could probably do what I want (as could Mainstage probably if I had a Mac) but it's far more complicated than I need.
If it doesn't exist I'm tempted to try and write it myself. I would make it very easy to set up splits and layers. You'd be able to import lists of patches for your modules. As for the trigger to change patches - that could be a set sequence of notes from the score so you wouldn't even have to press or click anything. Do you think this would be worth pursuing?
Cheers
gregstonian

Re: Is there a PC laptop app to send out Midi patch data for live use?

Postby The Elf » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:48 pm

You could maybe find something else, but Cantabile is so good I see little point looking elsewhere - it takes some learning, but it's worth the effort.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.