You are here

Using vector synthesis for modulation -- pretty cool!

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Using vector synthesis for modulation -- pretty cool!

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:32 pm

I've started messing around with different ideas for a new song and even though I've had it for a few months now, finally got round to using my WORNG Vector Space. And I must say, it's a doozy of a module! Basically speaking, it takes any three sources and provides 17 rectified outputs in various summing combinations.

You can skip the techo-babble below and just listen to the audio here, https://soundcloud.com/asfollowswriting/last-day-demo-2

Unnecessary techo-babble:
I began by running three triangle LFOs from the Steady State Fate Modbox, each one at different phases (0, 120, and 240 degrees respectively) into the Vector Space and enjoyed the pretty, pulsing light show. :)

My main purpose in using the Vector Space was to animate the drone that starts the piece. I took a quad VCO (Studio Electronics Quadnic) and ran it in polyphonic mode (m7 chord) into a Quad VCA (Intellijel). Each input on the VCA was fed a different output from the Vector Space. A fifth output from the Vector Space was fed into the CV input on a Doepfer SEM filter.

The mix out of the VCA went to a strymon AA.1, BOSS RE-20 Space Echo pedal, back through the AA.1, and into the SEM filter.

That sounded awesome! I added a little TX7 (made into stereo by a TC Electronic MIMIQ) and, voila! We're in outer space! :D

I know vector synthesis isn't something new, and quite honestly the math is beyond my puny brain to understand, but the results are great. And the Vector Space's clever lights make it so easy to know what type of rectification is being applied and what the phase is.

Back to the laboratory!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Re: Using vector synthesis for modulation -- pretty cool!

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:45 pm

That's a beautiful evolving sound there Ben ... very nice work :clap: :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:08 am

Thanks! Yeah, this one will be fun to flesh out!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:51 pm

Gorgeous sonic evolution Ben - bravo that man! :clap:

Looking forward to hearing more in due course.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:15 pm

Thanks, Martin! It's definitely made my setup into even more of a rat's nest of patch cables lol.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster