You are here

Moog Subharmonicon

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moog Subharmonicon

Postby Forum Admin » Wed May 13, 2020 11:10 am

Just giving this a plug here. We advance published the JUNE issue Gordon Reid review of the Moog Subharmonicon yesterday and it's unlocked for now for all to read:

/reviews/moog-subharmonicon
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,325 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Re: Moog Subharmonicon

Postby Ramirez » Wed May 13, 2020 11:13 am

Oh heck. Thank you.
This threw a curveball into my best laid financial plans yesterday...
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed May 13, 2020 11:43 am

Very nice. I'd seen mention of this and although it hasn't been at the forefront of my thoughts lately I mentally flagged it for further attention at the time. The review is very timely and certainly food for thought as the Subharmonicon potentially fits into one of my upcoming plans quite neatly.

Either way, a good read as always!

"It's easy to describe the LFOs and other modulators on the Subharmonicon because there aren't any."

:lol:

Thanks Ian.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed May 13, 2020 8:39 pm

I have absolutely no need for this thing, but I really really want it!!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed May 13, 2020 9:20 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:I have absolutely no need for this thing, but I really really want it!!

I feel the same way. I'd love one, I could certainly use it but I don't need it. If it was anywhere from £150 - £240 cheaper I'd be giving it serious consideration anyway (on a sliding scale depending), but although it looks like a fantastic thing I can't justify the kind of money they're asking for it :(
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.

Postby Ramirez » Wed May 13, 2020 9:25 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Ben Asaro wrote:I have absolutely no need for this thing, but I really really want it!!

I feel the same way. I'd love one, I could certainly use it but I don't need it. If it was anywhere from £150 - £240 cheaper I'd be giving it serious consideration anyway (on a sliding scale depending), but although it looks like a fantastic thing I can't justify the kind of money they're asking for it :(

Same here really.
It does appeal. And I already have a Mother 32 and a DFAM so it’d be nice to ‘complete the set’ as it were.

But it is too expensive for me right now. Mind you, PMT had on 36 months 0% finance yesterday, though that option is gone now!
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby Martin Walker » Thu May 14, 2020 12:02 am

Wow - thanks for the early review release Ian! 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Arpangel » Thu May 14, 2020 10:01 am

Definitely an interesting thing, for me it could be very useful, as a stand alone generative source.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Thu May 14, 2020 8:59 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Wow - thanks for the early review release Ian!

Well, I don't approve at all. Sneaking in a Reid review before the mag comes out is like snacking before a meal. I'm going to be good and wait.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri May 15, 2020 9:55 am

Moog seem keen to promote the Subharmonicon; I've noticed a number of youtubers showing the hardware off over the last 2-3 days having been sent it by Moog.

Arpangel wrote:Definitely an interesting thing, for me it could be very useful, as a stand alone generative source.

I very much like some of the sounds I've heard from it, though it still remains outside my 'just for fun' price range. I can see myself potentially changing my mind on that down the line once the Eurorack system has grown a bit, as it is a wonderful evolving tone generator and as such may enter the 'properly useful' category for me at that time.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat May 16, 2020 4:09 am

There is a very interesting article by Peter Kirn on his website about the Subharmonicon, the history on which it is based, links to a number of videos, an interview with Steve Dunnington (lead designer of the Moog implementation) and a few more things besides for anyone who hasn't seen it:

https://cdm.link/2020/05/moog-subharmon ... interview/

I want one, but the problem is it's about the same price as a Hydrasynth Module and I want one of them too. I don't need either.

Damn. Yay! Damn. Yay! Damn ... :D
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.

Postby Arpangel » Sat May 16, 2020 7:20 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:Moog seem keen to promote the Subharmonicon; I've noticed a number of youtubers showing the hardware off over the last 2-3 days having been sent it by Moog.

Arpangel wrote:Definitely an interesting thing, for me it could be very useful, as a stand alone generative source.

I very much like some of the sounds I've heard from it, though it still remains outside my 'just for fun' price range. I can see myself potentially changing my mind on that down the line once the Eurorack system has grown a bit, as it is a wonderful evolving tone generator and as such may enter the 'properly useful' category for me at that time.

This is quite an interesting video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8WESsh8HTk

Eurorack? Hmmmmm? I noticed you used the words "properly useful" there Eddy, be careful, that’s a bit rash! :)
I’m definitely into pre-made semi-modular these days, they make decisions for me, and the patch points hardly get used.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat May 16, 2020 11:41 am

I feel as if I'm just standing on the outside looking in. I don't get this machine, any more than I got the Mother-32...

They just don't seem 'musical' to me at all.

This obviously says more about me than the machines in question, because everyone else seems to be entranced by them - I'm clearly missing something, but I've no idea what! :headbang: :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby redlester » Sat May 16, 2020 12:03 pm

After watching the videos and drooling over this for a day or two, I've ordered an Arturia MiniBrute 2S (the one with the wacky sequencer instead of a keyboard).

It was less than half the price of the Subharmonicon, offers loads of semi-modular patching options to interface with my DFAM, Sirin, Sub37 & Behringer Pro-1, and that hopefully will be enough to quench my GAS for a little while at least!
redlester
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Sat May 16, 2020 12:35 pm

The Elf wrote:I feel as if I'm just standing on the outside looking in. I don't get this machine, any more than I got the Mother-32...

They just don't seem 'musical' to me at all.

This obviously says more about me than the machines in question, because everyone else seems to be entranced by them - I'm clearly missing something, but I've no idea what! :headbang: :lol:

I think for a a lot of us, me included, it's not something we couldn't live without, and a lot of what it does could be done, with a lot of other things.
But I think until you've actually played with it, like a lot of things, it may not click until you get up close and personal. If it still doesnt then it's not for us.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Next